not eating enough

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Do you use a food scale for anything not liquid?

That's hilarious.

I didn't quite get the question to begin with... Is she saying "do you use a food scale for solids/food"??

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    tarnz157 wrote: »
    I get too full thats why I struggle to eat over 1000 some days I do. I had really bad eating habits before I wouldnt eat all day and then come dinner time I would be starving I also drank alot of sugary drinks like coke. So even eating 3 meals a day is alot for me. I have almonds and brazil nuts which I will use as snacks or ill have some fruit. I find the mfp's recommendations for fats a bit hard to stick to well not the total fat but the fats that r in the nuts there no allowance for them. Im always under that total fat allowance my the mono and poly and trans fats always over because I will have the nuts and avocado.

I dont have snacks every day especially on dayswhen I'm busy I end up forgetting because not hungry. Im starting to look at different dinner ideas. But r also cautious if dinner because apparently its only meamt to be a small meal.

I have never dieted before and at the moment what im eating I enjoy and find nice so it doesnt seem like dieting and I dont no how effective it will be.

First thing, you can go into the customize goals option under your goal settings and alter those carb/fat/protein ratios to be more in line with what you want to eat. If it's easier for you to eat more carbs and less fat, take a little off the fat and put it on carbs. If it's easier for you to eat more fat, do the opposite. Those aren't set in stone numbers.

Next, add some more calorie dense foods - real butter, use full fat versions of things instead of fat free, regular bread instead of wraps. Until you get up to the calories you're supposed to be eating, don't even worry about the breakdowns like sugar or mono/poly fats. Look at calories, then look to make sure you're getting enough protein, and do whatever until you get a feel for if you want a total balance, more carbs, or more fats overall.

If you've been drinking your calories for a very long time, it's going to take a while for your stomach to get used to getting real food all the time.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Unless you have a health condition, the only thing you need to worry about for weight loss is calories. Try adding a few calorie-dense foods to your menu. For instance, butter, honey, peanut butter, and Nutella all clock in at 100 cals a tbsp, so it doesn't take much to add pretty significantly to your daily intake.
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    edited March 2015
    Yes, any food that's not a liquid.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited March 2015
    1200 is the recommended minimum to provide you with enough nutrition. unless you are under medical supervision then eat that amount. As said above if you really are finding it hard then eat calorie dense foods.

The one thing I always find puzzling is thatoverweight people suddenly find it difficult to eat a fraction of what they were previously eating?
  • Christine_72
    999tigger wrote: »
    1200 is the recommended minimum to provide you with enough nutrition. unless you are under medical supervision then eat that amount. As said above if you really are finding it hard then eat calorie dense foods.

The one thing I always find puzzling is thatoverweight people suddenly find it difficult to eat a fraction of what they were previously eating?

Same here. It's a hell of a lot easier and much more satisfying to add calories then it is to restrict them....
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member

Because it may be a fraction of the calories, but triple the volume. That's not even including the factor OP mentioned of drinking tons of high calorie drinks all day. 200 calories of broccoli or carrots take up a lot more room than 200 calories of pizza or Pepsi.
  • bluedreamlight
    bluedreamlight Posts: 13 Member
    edited March 2015
    Hey I'm a low calorie burner too! and i have been struggling to lose weight over the years.
  • Christine_72
    JPW1990 wrote: »

Because it may be a fraction of the calories, but triple the volume. That's not even including the factor OP mentioned of drinking tons of high calorie drinks all day. 200 calories of broccoli or carrots take up a lot more room than 200 calories of pizza or Pepsi.

True, true. I suppose it would be easier to go over drinking a ton of coke and downing pizza. It's not going to hurt OP incorporating these things into her diet to get her calories up, even though personally I refuse to drink soda, diet or regular!
  • VitaSh
    VitaSh Posts: 113 Member
    edited March 2015
    If you up your exercise intensity, I almost guarantee you will not have this problem in a couple of weeks when your metabolism speeds up and demands more food. I found that was the case for myself. When you just start eating healthy, whole foods they seem so filling. But with strength-training and endurance exercise, when done at the appropriate challenging levels to change your body and your health, you will become hungry after a while. And that's good. Eat more often with smaller portions of good-for-you whole foods!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited March 2015
    JPW1990 wrote: »

200 calories is less than a small chocolate bar or packet of crisps. It doesnt all have to be healthy. its less than 2 pieces of fruit. 50g of cheese 33g of peanut butter 37g of nutella.

I get the fact you get a lot of vegetables volume wise, but calorie dense things are an option.

OP dont worry about your macros too much. Try and get at least 18g+ of fibre a day, 46g+ of protein. Just try and be at a consistent deficit and eat at least 1200 calories. Keep it simple and dont stress.
    +
    I have never dieted before and at the moment what im eating I enjoy and find nice so it doesnt seem like dieting and I dont no how effective it will be.

Be at a consistent deficit and you will lose weight over time. its not an exact science as you could los some weeks and not others, but you are looking for a trend downwards. Ask on here and your friends for anything you dont understand.
  • SuzetteB007
    SuzetteB007 Posts: 4 Member
    onyxgirl17 wrote: »
    I can eat 1000 in a meal lol

Yup wink

• tarnz157
    tarnz157 Posts: 3
    I am trying :) getting fitness is can be a bit of a mission as well im always up and moving but yea.

I used to be able to est whatever I liked and still sit at 55kg and now im struggling. I would never want to go back to 55kg ever but I need to knock off about 20kg. I have a stepping machinr my mum gave me which ive been spending 15mims a dsy on. Ive just eaten a pita pocket with spinach kale and smoked chicken and am full bit i still have like 500 calories to eat and obly have dinner to go. I am looking up recipes for dinners that r healthy and good for calories
  • SuzetteB007
    SuzetteB007 Posts: 4 Member
    VitaSh wrote: »
    If you up your exercise intensity, I almost guarantee you will not have this problem in a couple of weeks when your metabolism speeds up and demands more food. I found that was the case for myself. When you just start eating healthy, whole foods they seem so filling. But with strength-training and endurance exercise, when done at the appropriate challenging levels to change your body and your health, you will become hungry after a while. And that's good. Eat more often with smaller portions of good-for-you whole foods!

This

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    But a pizza, stick in the fridge and have a slice or two. Bam calories.

Could you be under counting your foods calories?

A bowl of lentil dhal would be about 500 cal. As in two servings. The ones I get are just a packet, add water, boil then simmer for 15 mins.

Or eat nuts, they seem stupidly calorie dense. I don't know how people include them in their day or how they limit them selves to 10 to 20 nuts.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Do you use a food scale for anything not liquid?

That's hilarious.

Why?

There is a group of people on here that answer one particular question with "are you weighing your food?" every time it is asked. When you used it to respond to a different question, I assumed you were trying to be funny. Knowing how much it weighs isn't going to keep someone from eating too much fiber.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Honestly, OP, I think you're in the Honeymoon Period of dieting. Come back in two weeks and let us know if the problem seems to have suddenly corrected itself. :) If it hasn't, see your doctor and let her know your appetite has changed drastically. A severe and prolonged lack of appetite can mean illness.

Just my view, I am not in the medical profession...but...I've seen this like a million times before. I have a feeling your body isn't going to let you starve to death and is going to start sending your brain some pretty firm messages to eat some more highly caloric foods. If it doesn't it's doctor time. IMO.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member

I ate a pack of snickers pods last night for 800ish calories. Shame, shame, shame :cry:

It's a shame only if you did it without milk.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

I ate a pack of snickers pods last night for 800ish calories. Shame, shame, shame :cry:

Pods in milk? As in dunked?
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Merkavar wrote: »
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

Pods in milk? As in dunked?

Take a bite take a swig. Easy game