yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    EWJLang wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    If your goal is just to lose weight, then yes too soon. If you are looking to have an overall healthier lifestyle and properly track your diet, then yes you should be checking once every 1-2 weeks.

Can you please explain?

Sure, you have probably heard this a billion times but health and fitness is a lifestyle and not a short term goal. If you are just looking for that quick solution is cut down what you eat, drink more water and walk more and check in every month to adjust. If you really are committed to a health lifestyle that entails making sure that you pay close to your BMR and changing you calories based on that which means you do have to check your weight more frequently. Im a huge advocate of IIFYM and adjust every 3-4 days because of I am currently cutting weight (fancy term for calorie deficit to lose fat and retain as much muscle as I can). Anyone looking to lose weight the healthy way should really hit that scale once a week and make sure they are hitting calories by eatting the right foods and the proper balance of macronutrients (protein/carbohydrates/fat). If you want to know more add me and message me questions or you can take a look at my public diary for an idea of what I do.

You adjust every 3-4 days?

yeah....that's not...not good. Borderline disordered, dude.

And, OP, a week is no time at all. Your weight is going to fluctuate up to 5 pounds over the course of the day, depending on your water retention and digestive timing. (In other words, what is the weight of the actual food you've eaten and where is it currently hanging out on its journey to the sewer?)

I can't believe people have jumped to "you must be eating too much!" and "Go lower on your calories!" when OP has only been at this for a week! You look young and tall in your photo, 1500 is probably a sensible target for you, so keep on for a bit. Cutting all the way back to 1200 sends many, many people to the forums wailing that they're staaaaaarving or that they broke down and ate an entire bag of candy in rebellion. 1500 is incredibly doable and attainable, so if you came to that number through TDEE calculators or MFP's, I bet it's a fine setting for you for now. I'm on 1500 and an old hag....still a deficit, still losing. If you still don't see changes in your weight or measurements after a month, then reconsider from there.

Hey now lets wait for their reply. Tag @upgradeddiddy‌

Ha, again the weight itself is just a number to update my calculators to plan my meals so on any given day I can look and say "hey, maybe I can add a bowl of oatmeal here!" Or "okay let's NOT take that cookie" a little obsessive yes but my concern is meeting the proper calories and eating the right macro sources which is why I premised it by saying if you want to just "lose weight" once a month is fine. But if you are interested in a lifestyle you should know your weight on a weekly/biweekly basis and body fat on a biweekly/monthly basis.

Interesting. So you go out and get body fat % measurement monthly? No those cheap inaccurate scales either.

Also you didn't answer my first question which was.
    If your goal is just to lose weight, then yes too soon. If you are looking to have an overall healthier lifestyle and properly track your diet, then yes you should be checking once every 1-2 weeks.

Can you please explain?

Sure, you have probably heard this a billion times but health and fitness is a lifestyle and not a short term goal. If you are just looking for that quick solution is cut down what you eat, drink more water and walk more and check in every month to adjust. If you really are committed to a health lifestyle that entails making sure that you pay close to your BMR and changing you calories based on that which means you do have to check your weight more frequently. Im a huge advocate of IIFYM and adjust every 3-4 days because of I am currently cutting weight (fancy term for calorie deficit to lose fat and retain as much muscle as I can). Anyone looking to lose weight the healthy way should really hit that scale once a week and make sure they are hitting calories by eatting the right foods and the proper balance of macronutrients (protein/carbohydrates/fat). If you want to know more add me and message me questions or you can take a look at my public diary for an idea of what I do.

I old school it, I have a friend that has his own body caliper and measure hip fat, ab fat, arm fat and thigh fat and use one of the only calculators with those measurements to get body fat. Also the gym I just joined (since I am moving closer to my work) does have events where the do those measurements for free as well. And yes on average I weigh myself every 3-4 days and the log it into myfitnesspal pal and compare my calorie needs to the Harris-Benedict calculator to make sure they are close so I have a break down of my calorie/protein/carbohydrate/fat needs

Well I guess as long as the caliper show a downward trend is find to some. You sound like you want absolute values which I am very sure you are not getting with calipers.
  • upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    Options

Can you please explain?

And, OP, a week is no time at all. Your weight is going to fluctuate up to 5 pounds over the course of the day, depending on your water retention and digestive timing. (In other words, what is the weight of the actual food you've eaten and where is it currently hanging out on its journey to the sewer?)

I can't believe people have jumped to "you must be eating too much!" and "Go lower on your calories!" when OP has only been at this for a week! You look young and tall in your photo, 1500 is probably a sensible target for you, so keep on for a bit. Cutting all the way back to 1200 sends many, many people to the forums wailing that they're staaaaaarving or that they broke down and ate an entire bag of candy in rebellion. 1500 is incredibly doable and attainable, so if you came to that number through TDEE calculators or MFP's, I bet it's a fine setting for you for now. I'm on 1500 and an old hag....still a deficit, still losing. If you still don't see changes in your weight or measurements after a month, then reconsider from there.

Ha, again the weight itself is just a number to update my calculators to plan my meals so on any given day I can look and say "hey, maybe I can add a bowl of oatmeal here!" Or "okay let's NOT take that cookie" a little obsessive yes but my concern is meeting the proper calories and eating the right macro sources which is why I premised it by saying if you want to just "lose weight" once a month is fine. But if you are interested in a lifestyle you should know your weight on a weekly/biweekly basis and body fat on a biweekly/monthly basis.

Interesting. So you go out and get body fat % measurement monthly? No those cheap inaccurate scales either.

Also you didn't answer my first question which was.

Can you please explain?

I old school it, I have a friend that has his own body caliper and measure hip fat, ab fat, arm fat and thigh fat and use one of the only calculators with those measurements to get body fat. Also the gym I just joined (since I am moving closer to my work) does have events where the do those measurements for free as well. And yes on average I weigh myself every 3-4 days and the log it into myfitnesspal pal and compare my calorie needs to the Harris-Benedict calculator to make sure they are close so I have a break down of my calorie/protein/carbohydrate/fat needs

Well I guess as long as the caliper show a downward trend is find to some. You sound like you want absolute values which I am very sure you are not getting with calipers.

True there is a degree of error with it but it's a ballpark nevertheless. I try to be as efficient as possible now that I am solely/weightlifting bodybuilding (no sports for awhile)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Can you please explain?

Totally this. I really can't believe people are already advising making changes. The only advice that needs to be given is:

Check Progress
    Have Realistic Expectations
    Be Patient
    Consider Other Measures of Success Beyond the Scale
    Monitor and Adjust After A Reasonable Period of Time (4 weeks-6 weeks)

/end thread

• yiscaht
    yiscaht Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm new too .. and the mindset of wanting to step on the scale daily is very much firmly planted within me lol. I do it and darn near every time, I end up frustrated. I know (consciously) it's too early to see a change from the changes I've made, because I'm not on some fad diet - I'm eating healthier and working out. Doesn't stop you from wanting to see that scale move though :)

Also remember to measure yourself. Pay attention to how you're feeling (my scale hasn't moved, but man I have some energy at the moment!) You'll get there. Just keep going :)
  • upgradeddiddy
    Options

Can you please explain?

You just keep saying the same thing over and over. Knock it off. It's a ridiculous statement. Lose weight, weigh monthly. Be healthy weigh weekly. That's just a rule you made up that has no basis.

Now I see why you do this so much. Question why people do what they do. It's fun.

MrM27 be like:

8qre2w7sebhb.jpg
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    yiscaht wrote: »
    I'm new too .. and the mindset of wanting to step on the scale daily is very much firmly planted within me lol. I do it and darn near every time, I end up frustrated. I know (consciously) it's too early to see a change from the changes I've made, because I'm not on some fad diet - I'm eating healthier and working out. Doesn't stop you from wanting to see that scale move though :)

Also remember to measure yourself. Pay attention to how you're feeling (my scale hasn't moved, but man I have some energy at the moment!) You'll get there. Just keep going :)

I actually weigh myself multiple times a day...you aren't going to be seeing actual fat loss in real time, you are losing tiny fractions of a pound each day, and water weight will make your weight swing in a 5 pound range! I just hop on the scale whenever I walk by, it's quite instructive and I not can predict what I'll see based on time of the month, what I've been eating, and how much water or tea I've been drinking.

Need to see the scale go down? Weigh yourself tonight right before bed, then tomorrow morning after you visit the bathroom. There. The numbers went down. Back to business!
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Awww poor guy is upset that the has no logic behind his theories.

You behave yourself. Poor Leo doesn't need to be sent to his crate again.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Awww poor guy is upset that the has no logic behind his theories.

You behave yourself. Poor Leo doesn't need to be sent to his crate again.

That is a good burn.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Can you please explain?

You just keep saying the same thing over and over. Knock it off. It's a ridiculous statement. Lose weight, weigh monthly. Be healthy weigh weekly. That's just a rule you made up that has no basis.

Why so angry? I have my way and you have yours obviously. And yes I have my guidelines because they work for me. That's really the end of it for anyone for health and fitness is what works for them. There is no "ridiculous" ideas out there, hence why there is the community on here in the first place, share ideas and get different views.

that is fine that you have you way and it works for you ..

However, promoting it to OP who is new, and is struggling with the fact that she has not lost in a week, is probably not the best way to go about it. As OP is already stressing, requiring her to take daily, weekly, and monthly measurements is massive over kill, IMO..

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    yiscaht wrote: »

I actually weigh myself multiple times a day...you aren't going to be seeing actual fat loss in real time, you are losing tiny fractions of a pound each day, and water weight will make your weight swing in a 5 pound range! I just hop on the scale whenever I walk by, it's quite instructive and I not can predict what I'll see based on time of the month, what I've been eating, and how much water or tea I've been drinking.

Need to see the scale go down? Weigh yourself tonight right before bed, then tomorrow morning after you visit the bathroom. There. The numbers went down. Back to business!

I do this too. I actually know that if I weigh myself before bed, I will likely be two pounds lighter in the morning. I also can usually predict the post-bathroom weight, the post workout weight, and the fluctuations between Monday-Sunday based on increased sodium consumption over the weekends. My lightest weight is usually Friday mornings about 6 am. :smiley:

• kajones2009
    kajones2009 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Also, make sure you're weighing yourself in the same circumstances everyday, ie. first thing in the morning before you've eaten, and naked.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Weigh, measure and log everything you put into your mouth. Then open your diary if you don't see a change after another week.
  • kaylala1202
    kaylala1202 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It's definitely too soon. I'm the same way, I weigh myself everyday to see results but nothing. Balance out your diet. Determine your workout by what you eat.
  • upgradeddiddy
    Options

Can you please explain?

Why so angry? I have my way and you have yours obviously. And yes I have my guidelines because they work for me. That's really the end of it for anyone for health and fitness is what works for them. There is no "ridiculous" ideas out there, hence why there is the community on here in the first place, share ideas and get different views.

If they are your guidelines but you insist on promoting them to other people as the way they should do things then you should provide valid reasoning why your way is the way it should be and why doing the opposite is worse. Until then you will continue to get called out for nonsense.

Apologies if I "insisted" anything, seems to have struck a nerve even though I don't think in any part of what I said where I said anything she was doing was wrong, I believe I said if it's just an overall weight loss goal do one thing if it's a lifestyle change do the other, but I digress... I just stated my opinion based on what has worked for me, what I have observed from others (whether athletic or non-athletic) and what I have read. You can choose to agree and apply it or you can choose to disagree and do something else ain't a thing to me what you do. But you have to be pretty weak minded to keep saying that someone's opinion is nonsense when at the end of the day it's an opinion and not one persons opinion is right or wrong because it's up to the individual to make a choice on what they choose to believe or not. But hey that's just my OPINION again smh
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I have started my 1500 calorie diet a week ago and have been drinking only water, is it too soon to weigh in and expect a 1 pound weight loss result? I am eating alot healthier and alot less calories than I used to. and have started some light exercise which Im usually not active at all. Any advice is much appreciated since this is all new to me.

It is possible to lose 1 lb your first week. It is also possible that you won't see a change yet. It is possible you could be retaining water for some reason.
    Stick to it for at least 3 weeks before changing anything... Except if you have not been weighing/ measuring or logging your food accurately. Check that first before making other changes.
    I don't think it is responsible to suggest you start lowering to 1200 calories after your first week. You are most likely perfectly fine starting at 1500 and if you decide to reduce a bit then why not 1400 or 1300? 1200 is the minimum recommended calories and isn't the right starting point for most.
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    To me 1500 seems like too much. Give it another week and if you are not happy with your results lower your calories. I have great success on 1200 and 1350 on the days I work out (jog/run). You just have to give it time and find what works for you.