Peanut butter ??

Options

Replies

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    This is the truth about PB2 and why you’ll never see me eat this manufactured substitute for peanut butter:
    ■PB2 Is Not Whole Real Food – When I talk about the foods I eat, I tell people I want to choose the most nutrient dense foods on the planet and PB2 is just not one of them. The beauty of a peanut is that it contains all of the nutrients nature intended. It has a healthy dose of fat, protein and vitamins. PB2 extracts almost all of the essential monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, leaching the vitamin E content which is fat soluble, therefore reducing the nutritional content of the whole food. The fat is what keeps you satisfied and reduces cravings making just a tablespoon of real peanut butter so satisfying. This powdered form looks pretty clean when you review the ingredients, but it’s just another way for manufacturers to trick you into thinking less calories is better for you. They have to add a mixture of sugar and salt into the powder to make it taste better without the fat. I know I’d rather have the fat vs. the sugar and salt!

■PB2 Is Not Organic – Conventional peanuts are some of the most heavily sprayed crops ever. The amount of toxic pesticides sprayed on peanuts is suspected to have caused the increase in peanut allergies. As you know, peanuts have a very thin and porous outer layer and shell that allows toxins in easily. These toxins are not something you can wash off. Remember increased exposure to pesticides are linked to birth defects, nerve damage and cancer. The President’s Cancer Panel has urged us not to consume food sprayed with pesticides and doesn’t believe any amount is safe.

■PB2 Has Added Sugar – It might not be that much added sugar but knowing what refined sugar does to my mind and my body – I try to avoid it at all costs unless it’s a special occasion. I eat nut butter almost everyday so I make sure that my variety is sugar free and made from whole organic nuts. Also, this sugar could be made from genetically modified sugar beets. (The company recently confirmed they do not contain GMOs.)
    oh look I can cut and paste too
  • Annr
    Options
    PB2: Powdered Peanut Butter

Ingredients:

Roasted peanuts, sugar, salt.
    Serving size: 2 Tablespoons (12 grams)
    Servings per container: 15
    Calories: 45
    Calories from fat: 13

Value and % Daily Value*
    Total fat 1.5 g 2%
    Saturated fat 0 g 0%
    Trans fat 0g
    Cholesterol <0.01 mg 0%
    Sodium 94 mg 4%
    Total carbohydrate 5 g 2%
    Dietary fiber 2 g 8%
    Sugars 1 g
    Protein 5 g
    Vitamin A <1%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium <1%
    Iron 0%

this is the ingredients of PB2
  • Annr
    Options

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 2 Tbsp (32g)

Amount per Serving
    Calories 190
    Calories from Fat 130

% Daily Value*
    Total Fat 16g24%
    Saturated Fat 2.5g13%
    Trans Fat 0g

Cholesterol 0mg0%
    Sodium 135mg6%
    Total Carbohydrate 8g3%
    Dietary Fiber 2g9%
    Sugars 3g

Protein 7g

Vitamin A0%
    Vitamin C0%
    Calcium0%
    Iron4%
    Vitamin E10%
    Riboflavin2%
    Niacin20%

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Ingredients:

MADE FROM ROASTED PEANUTS AND SUGAR, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: MOLASSES, FULLY HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OILS (RAPESEED AND SOYBEAN), MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, SALT.

This is Regular Jiffy peanut butter....
  • billiebutton
    billiebutton Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hmm strange some of these comments regarding PB2 sound straight from Food Babe. I appreciate those trying to give facts so that we can make informed decisions. However, I also appreciate when sources are cited. That way I can check them out.

http://foodbabe.com/2012/09/16/the-truth-about-pb2-powdered-peanut-butter/
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    i loooooooooove peanut butter.

i use the PB2 for my fix though - im not willing to sacrifice that many calories usually for the real stuff, most times LOLOL

But if I were going to eat, say a PB & J sammich..... it'd be the real stuff! LOL!

PB2 Is Not Whole Real Food When I talk about the foods I eat, I tell people I want to choose the most nutrient dense foods on the planet and PB2 is just not one of them. The beauty of a peanut is that it contains all of the nutrients nature intended. It has a healthy dose of fat, protein and vitamins. PB2 extracts almost all of the essential monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, leaching the vitamin E content which is fat soluble, therefore reducing the nutritional content of the whole food. The fat is what keeps you satisfied and reduces cravings making just a tablespoon of real peanut butter so satisfying. This powdered form looks pretty clean when you review the ingredients, but it’s just another way for manufacturers to trick you into thinking less calories is better for you. They have to add a mixture of sugar and salt into the powder to make it taste better without the fat. I know I’d rather have the fat vs. the sugar and salt!

PB2 Is Not Organic. Conventional peanuts are some of the most heavily sprayed crops ever. The amount of toxic pesticides sprayed on peanuts is suspected to have caused the increase in peanut allergies. As you know, peanuts have a very thin and porous outer layer and shell that allows toxins in easily. These toxins are not something you can wash off. Remember increased exposure to pesticides are linked to birth defects, nerve damage and cancer. The President’s Cancer Panel has urged us not to consume food sprayed with pesticides and doesn’t believe any amount is safe...........

wow @WahachankaKicin‌ it's important to let people know if these are your own thoughts and opinions or if you copy and pasted it straight off of a website :huh: :noway:

• Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I found peanut butter good for when I needed to gain weight. ;)

I still eat it occasionally, but it chews up a lot of calories. It's not all that much protein for the calories. I love it, though.
  • Annr
    Options
    Sorry for being snippit yesterday folks...just wanted you all to see the site she pasted from. I think people approach eating the same way they approach anything. With a sense of uniqueness, and individualness about it. I just copied and pasted the ingredients from both the PB2 and from reg Jiffy s' home page, so you can be properly informed...Have a great Thursday you all :-)
  • Christine_72
    Options
    @Annr you weren't being a snippet. I was gobsmacked that someone copied someone elses words and put them across as their own. I'm glad you brought it up. :flowerforyou:
  • billiebutton
    billiebutton Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i loooooooooove peanut butter.

i use the PB2 for my fix though - im not willing to sacrifice that many calories usually for the real stuff, most times LOLOL

But if I were going to eat, say a PB & J sammich..... it'd be the real stuff! LOL!

PB2 Is Not Whole Real Food When I talk about the foods I eat, I tell people I want to choose the most nutrient dense foods on the planet and PB2 is just not one of them. The beauty of a peanut is that it contains all of the nutrients nature intended. It has a healthy dose of fat, protein and vitamins. PB2 extracts almost all of the essential monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, leaching the vitamin E content which is fat soluble, therefore reducing the nutritional content of the whole food. The fat is what keeps you satisfied and reduces cravings making just a tablespoon of real peanut butter so satisfying. This powdered form looks pretty clean when you review the ingredients, but it’s just another way for manufacturers to trick you into thinking less calories is better for you. They have to add a mixture of sugar and salt into the powder to make it taste better without the fat. I know I’d rather have the fat vs. the sugar and salt!

PB2 Is Not Organic. Conventional peanuts are some of the most heavily sprayed crops ever. The amount of toxic pesticides sprayed on peanuts is suspected to have caused the increase in peanut allergies. As you know, peanuts have a very thin and porous outer layer and shell that allows toxins in easily. These toxins are not something you can wash off. Remember increased exposure to pesticides are linked to birth defects, nerve damage and cancer. The President’s Cancer Panel has urged us not to consume food sprayed with pesticides and doesn’t believe any amount is safe...........

wow @WahachankaKicin‌ it's important to let people know if these are your own thoughts and opinions or if you copy and pasted it straight off of a website :huh: :noway:

That is why I posted what I did yesterday. I have gotten some really interesting information on this site. So I really appreciate when people say they got info from such and such site or youtube vid ect. Otherwise it just seems like it's something they've written and I can't go to the source material to learn more about it for myself.
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Iknewyouweretrouble Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    A few people have told me peanut butter is good for you on a diet but I can't think how ? Can anyone help with this please, I do luv peanut butter on toast but can't see how it's good at all lol

if you can't figure out how it's good I feel very sad for you. YUM
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I like 'regular' PB at times, but I also eat PB2 too, which in all actuality is peanut butter it's just pulverized into a fine peanut powder. I like both. PB2 is great in protein shakes and even better stirred into oatmeal.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    81Katz wrote: »
    I like 'regular' PB at times, but I also eat PB2 too, which in all actuality is peanut butter it's just pulverized into a fine peanut powder. I like both. PB2 is great in protein shakes and even better stirred into oatmeal.
    And where all the fat is extracted.

• 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options

well it does have 2% fat left. So there is some fat.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    A few people have told me peanut butter is good for you on a diet but I can't think how ? Can anyone help with this please, I do luv peanut butter on toast but can't see how it's good at all lol

Peanut butter in moderation is good, just as anything else in moderation is good.

I make my own peanut butter, and I love it, and I will defend the honor of my peanut butter under any circumstances.

peanut-butter.jpg?1348870813
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

well it does have 2% fat left. So there is some fat.
    Yes your right, there is a little. 13 calories for 2 tbsp. It's a decent product for the right applications and I have used it a couple of times but normally I want what regular peanut butter has to offer in the foods I make, but then again I normally consume 2500 to 3500 calories a day, so I can afford to do that where someone else might not.

• kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    In honor of this thread, I just enjoyed 2 squares of Godiva Sea Salt Dark Chocolate spread with some Jif Natural peanut butter. It was delicious.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »
    In honor of this thread, I just enjoyed 2 squares of Godiva Sea Salt Dark Chocolate spread with some Jif Natural peanut butter. It was delicious.

Good Girl :bigsmile: :+1:

• Annr
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »

ohhh I just went to heaven for a second there.....: o:) -)
  • Annr
    Options
    I have a 16 yr old son....since he could eat peanut butter I have done the same ritual. Every time I open a new jar I give it to him and he makes a smiley face in the perfect un-marked-with-a-knife top with his finger...then smiles and hands it back. Traditions are a grand thang.
  • justsayinisall
    justsayinisall Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Make my own peanut butter too. I buy big cans of Planters peanuts from Sams. Pop in my food processor and let it whirl (when you think they've been in there long enough, let it go an extra minute or two). That's it. Nothing but peanuts and the salt they add to them. Nom nom nom. Pop the unused peanuts in the freezer for future use.