Peanut butter ??

Options
12346»

Replies

• jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I eat Smuckers Natural myself. The only ingredients are peanuts and salt. That's it. And it's really yummy in my opinion. Yes, you have to stir it to mix the oil and the nuts, but usually only once.
  • exwilson
    exwilson Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    I have a 16 yr old son....since he could eat peanut butter I have done the same ritual. Every time I open a new jar I give it to him and he makes a smiley face in the perfect un-marked-with-a-knife top with his finger...then smiles and hands it back. Traditions are a grand thang.

tumblr_n06fy7W3QY1s2c91ro1_500.gif
  • ssjones999
    ssjones999 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Have you tried PB2, made by Bell Plantation? It's powdered peanut butter that you add water to. I know, it sounds disgusting! BUT, it's actually REALLY good, and only 45 calories for 2 tbsp. I highly recommend it - good protein and very satisfying! I pair it with bananas or toast or apples. Definitely satisfies the pb craving!

PB2 IS THE BOMB!!!!
  • ssjones999
    Options
    I use it as a treat with an apple when I have a lower calorie day. Or spread it on a piece of toast for breakfast. If it fits your calories, it's a great food in your wheel house!

I noticed a couple of people mentioned PB2 - I bought it, I tossed it. I think it's disgusting!

I mainly use it in protein shakes, but the chocolate PB2 is quite tasty on apples!
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    I have quite the relationship with peanut butter. I used to go through a huge jar of the stuff in just a couple of days... all by myself. I overdosed on it at some point and now I can only tolerate a spoonful, if that. It's much healthier if you get the all natural kind, but if you moderate how much you eat I'm sure you will be fine :)
  • ssjones999
    Options
    I wish we had Pb2 here. I tried the "natural" low salt/sugar PB the other week, it was bloody disgusting! I threw the whole jar in the trash :cry:

You can order it online. Amazon I believe.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    i eat peanut butter every day.. i just make it fit my macros
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I buy natural peanut butter so it doesn't have sugar added to it, but that's also because I just really like the taste of it compared with regular old peanut butter. I use it as an afternoon snack, 2tbsp and a small apple. It's wonderful. Plus I knew I had to have peanut butter in my life so I found a way to make it fit so I could be successful long term.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    My kid had never eaten any PB other than natural (with just added salt) and we got snowed in at a friend's house who had some kind of low fat JIF or skippy. My daughter couldn't even choke down a teeny bit on her banana slices - she was 5!

Anyway, I do love PB, but I don't eat it very often...maybe I should change that asap!
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    exwilson wrote: »
    Annr wrote: »
    I have a 16 yr old son....since he could eat peanut butter I have done the same ritual. Every time I open a new jar I give it to him and he makes a smiley face in the perfect un-marked-with-a-knife top with his finger...then smiles and hands it back. Traditions are a grand thang.

tumblr_n06fy7W3QY1s2c91ro1_500.gif

that is HIM making a sandwich...(if you minus 20-30 yrs...and 100 pounds..)
  • shamani5
    shamani5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I usually have a tablespoon of PB with a waffle and banana for breakfast every morning which equals 280 calories. So satisfying! I don't feel hungry for hours after.
  • laurajune72
    laurajune72 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Peanut butter is a handy portable protein and pairs nicely with say, apple slices or celery. It satisfies.

Because of it's high calorie count, measure in tablespoons, not a half-cup!

That is funnier than hell. It's like you have seen my PB&J sandwiches of the past!!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    ssjones999 wrote: »
    I wish we had Pb2 here. I tried the "natural" low salt/sugar PB the other week, it was bloody disgusting! I threw the whole jar in the trash :cry:

You can order it online. Amazon I believe.

I found the chocolate PB in a supplement store 2 minutes from my house. I added 3tbs to my smoothie today and it was bloody delicious!! So few calories for the proper peanut butter taste. I haven't tried it on bread yet. I'm impressed :D
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    jnv7594 wrote: »
    I eat Smuckers Natural myself. The only ingredients are peanuts and salt. That's it. And it's really yummy in my opinion. Yes, you have to stir it to mix the oil and the nuts, but usually only once.

Tip: store it upside down in your fridge. You won't need to stir ;)
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Eating peanut butter from the jar is how I gained weight training for 2 marathons. Sigh. After actually weighing it out I realized that I was easily eating more than 500 calories of peanut butter a day.

Then I bought pb2. And 12g (45 calories) of that is also a teeny tiny serving!!

I'm trying to learn how to eat the real stuff in moderation now. Which does not involve eating it from the jar, lol!
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Rampant328 wrote: »
    You want to get natural organic peanut butter. Peanuts are prone to get mold (this is why you want organic) and natural peanut butter, besides tasting much, much more like peanuts than the regular stuff does not contain all of the hydrogenated oils and chemical stabilizers that the regular stuff has. Those terrible for your health additives make peanut butter firm at room temperature so that it doesn't run off of your spoon or bread but they ARE NOT good for your health. Also, anymore than one to two tablespoons of natural (or the regular stuff) per day will probably mess with your nutrition/calorie numbers. The natural fats can be taken out of peanut butter and then what's left are dried peanut flakes that they make into fat free peanut butter but it tastes like plastic, not very appetizing. P.S. Natural peanut butter has natural oils that separate from the solids (you'll see the separation through the jar) so you just have to stir it to make it homogeneous.

Doesn't organic make it more prone to mold?

I am fine with Skippy's Extra Chunky. I make sure that I stay within my daily budget.

I think he is referring to some of the mycotoxins that can be a problem in peanuts before processing. So yes, organic would be more prone to this.