Easter

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    You know the comments from everyone about how great the kids food tasted when we were kids and how terrible it tastes now does make me think there's something to it when my kids insist they don't like the food I make for dinner, that it's too "spicy" which I think they just say because it has different flavors than the kid food. I always roll my eyes and think they are just being difficult but maybe the sweetness of the chef boyardee ravioli makes it a lot more palatable to them than my ravioli with homemade or even jarred marinara sauce.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I think I've read something about that actually-- something about kids being more sensitive to bitter and maybe spicy flavors as well.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    :sick:

I also loved school pizza when I was a kid but it doesn't look good to me now.

I couldn't eat the type of school pizza now that we had as kids (BLARGH) but my kids (though they buy only infrequently) get Domino's or Papa John's on Pizza Fridays. Granted these are not exactly gourmet but they beat up the old school pizzas pretty good.

• LAWoman72
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I think I've read something about that actually-- something about kids being more sensitive to bitter and maybe spicy flavors as well.

That's possible, and they're also supposed to have a preference for sweet...? Which is why kids can crunch sugary stuff between their teeth and only wish they could sprinkle table sugar on top of it to make it sweeter, LOL.

I used to heap table sugar into my cereal and then as I scooped up my cereal, I'd drag the spoon across the bottom of the bowl so I could have a serving of wet table sugar with each bite.

My kids love love love LOVE spicy, but that's because they've grown up in SoCal. You have to love spicy if only in self-defense. My eight-year-old adds hot sauce to his chicken. I just stare at him.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

That's possible, and they're also supposed to have a preference for sweet...? Which is why kids can crunch sugary stuff between their teeth and only wish they could sprinkle table sugar on top of it to make it sweeter, LOL.

I used to heap table sugar into my cereal and then as I scooped up my cereal, I'd drag the spoon across the bottom of the bowl so I could have a serving of wet table sugar with each bite.

Yup we used to do that too.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    One of the coolest experiences school lunchwise was when the school introduced a chicken alfredo pizza in high school. I'm not sure how I'd feel about it now, but it was the bees knees back then.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I think the fuss about school lunch is that they get almost nothing nowadays. I don't have kids, so I dont know the whole dirty deal. This is a photo that floats around the interwebz, a supposed school lunch. Although healthy food, I dont think it's enough for a child: hmi3o07k80ue.jpg

That meat? Maybe what, 70 calories. 4 crackers, maybe another 70? That's what? Half an ounce of cheese? So another 50? Two pieces of cauliflower might as well be 0. That pinch of ranch, looks like this is under 240ish calories for a lunch for a growing kid who might also be playing sports! I'd fuss if this was my kids meal! Give them the pizza and corn!
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    I think the fuss about school lunch is that they get almost nothing nowadays. I don't have kids, so I dont know the whole dirty deal. This is a photo that floats around the interwebz, a supposed school lunch. Although healthy food, I dont think it's enough for a child: hmi3o07k80ue.jpg

That meat? Maybe what, 70 calories. 4 crackers, maybe another 70? That's what? Half an ounce of cheese? So another 50? Two pieces of cauliflower might as well be 0. That pinch of ranch, looks like this is under 240ish calories for a lunch for a growing kid who might also be playing sports! I'd fuss if this was my kids meal! Give them the pizza and corn!

Agreed that doesn't look like much for an older kid, mine is in kindergarten and he probably doesn't eat as much as most kids but that seems ok for him. Who knows where the picture originated. At his school they have 3 choices, one is usually a typical kid food like grilled cheese, corn dog, hamburger. One is a little more adventurous, like stir fry, pasta with vegetables, etc. One is usually some kind of a salad (chicken Caesar or a Cobb salad). They also have a vegetable and fruit of the day which I think they put on their plate whether they want it or not. Then they have a spot to get a whole banana, Apple or orange if they would like. We are in an inner city school and the meals are free for all kids.

I've heard horror stories but I think our district is doing a pretty good job with the meals, and again, we are in an inner city school with many that are not accredited.

My son brings lunch and what I pack for him is probably less healthy than the school lunch! I was going to try hard boiled eggs, but then that would just room his MMA career.

• LAWoman72
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Argh, can't seem to quote the above.

That is definitely no standard school lunch that I've ever seen. Just going over to my son's school lunch schedule, picking the first entry:

Monday, 4.6.15 (spring break is this coming week):

Crunchy breaded catfish or cheeseburger on a bun
    Golden baked French fries
    Diced pears, romaine lettuce
    Green peas
    Green beans
    White, chocolate or strawberry milk

If you're ever worried that the youth of today are starving, just drive past your local school and take a look at the kids. I think it will put your fears to rest. :)
  • hollyrayburn
    Options
    I think it's hit or miss regarding lunches for the kiddos. My cousin is in 2nd grade and he said they have choices. I asked him what kind, and he said the other day they got to choose between taco salad and meatloaf. Their breakfast choices normally aren't as healthy, he said stuff like a donut, or bear claw. Bah! Butter this little man is an extremely picky eater and probably doesn't eat any of it anyway lol.

A middle schooler here once face booked a lunch picture. Three steak nuggets, some celery sticks, and a tangerine.

Do schools have dietitians on site? Some things just aren't balanced for them, it seems :(. I don't think kids are starving, as so many are overweight/obese, but it'd be awesome if kids could have healthier meals instilled earlier, so they're not struggling with their weight in their 30s like I am!
  • LAWoman72
    Options
    I think it's hit or miss regarding lunches for the kiddos. My cousin is in 2nd grade and he said they have choices. I asked him what kind, and he said the other day they got to choose between taco salad and meatloaf. Their breakfast choices normally aren't as healthy, he said stuff like a donut, or bear claw. Bah! Butter this little man is an extremely picky eater and probably doesn't eat any of it anyway lol.

A middle schooler here once face booked a lunch picture. Three steak nuggets, some celery sticks, and a tangerine.

Do schools have dietitians on site? Some things just aren't balanced for them, it seems :(. I don't think kids are starving, as so many are overweight/obese, but it'd be awesome if kids could have healthier meals instilled earlier, so they're not struggling with their weight in their 30s like I am!

Dieticians? Not typically. With cutbacks, the kids are lucky they have teachers.
  • LITtlerMeCO
    LITtlerMeCO Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    I'm late to the thread here, but....I'm so confused.

I work out. I train. I eat two hard boiled eggs a day. I boil a whole bunch and they last for a week. Why can't they fit into your diet again? How many eggs are we talking here?

^What I was wondering--how many hard boiled eggs can a rabbit realistically eat since the kiddos are smart enough to already know the answer.
  • LITtlerMeCO
    LITtlerMeCO Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    In the meantime, how is everyone's Peep cleanse coming? Racing right along?

Racecar-peeps.jpg

Great, I can almost fit into my dress!

i0jkz33vmmwj.jpg

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

I work in a school now and the company we use doesn't give the kids too much more. I've had both my kids comment on how there is not enough, which is why we don't buy it. I've seen the portions and for little kids who need snack 90 minutes before lunch and then still pile drive lunch into their face holes ... it's not enough.

I watched two kids the other day throw out all their baked beans (about 1/4 cup). They also got 2 chicken drumsticks, which is a freaking pain for *me* to eat, and barely any meat to boot. Not sure what else they had, but I have more calories in my Quest bar I use for my mid-day snack. :noway:

requisite gif to stay on topic...
    tumblr_mhy0x8b3PB1r0cqvoo2_r1_250.gif
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    In the meantime, how is everyone's Peep cleanse coming? Racing right along?

Racecar-peeps.jpg

Great, I can almost fit into my dress!

i0jkz33vmmwj.jpg

That. Is. Awesome.

Where is @tincanonastring? Maybe the model for your new book can wear this?
  • hollyrayburn
    Options
    Someone that has Some peeps in the house, do this and record it for me.

a9s9zm19hgkp.jpg
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You know the comments from everyone about how great the kids food tasted when we were kids and how terrible it tastes now does make me think there's something to it when my kids insist they don't like the food I make for dinner, that it's too "spicy" which I think they just say because it has different flavors than the kid food. I always roll my eyes and think they are just being difficult but maybe the sweetness of the chef boyardee ravioli makes it a lot more palatable to them than my ravioli with homemade or even jarred marinara sauce.

There's something to this, I think.

It's funny to remember, but I HATED spicy food as a child. When we went to whatever Americanized Mexican place we went to, I'd order from the kid's menu--a burger, of course. I'm not sure when that changed, but by my teens I prided myself on being a somewhat adventurous eater and liked lots of spicy things (inherited from my parents, probably, as they love telling stories about how they went out to dinner with some Indian/Thai/Korean friend who said Americans would find something or other too spicy, but they loved it). My sister still doesn't care for spicy, though.

But isn't there something science-related behind being born with the ability to enjoy sweet flavors but having to grow into spicy and bitter?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    In case anyone is interested, here's the menu for next month's Chicago Public Schools lunches (elementary): http://www.cps.edu/About_CPS/Departments/Documents/Nutrition/ElemLunchEnglishApril.pdf

And high school: http://www.cps.edu/About_CPS/Departments/Documents/Nutrition/HSLunchEnglishApril.pdf

I assume people are bothered about the plethora of pizza and tacos and hot dogs and so on, but haven't really been following the complaints about school lunches.

As part of being picky as a smaller child and part of a group that didn't go to the lunchroom in high school I always brought my lunch, so have no fond hot lunch memories.

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    When I was teaching school lunches were 800 calories. A lot of teachers complained about how much it was, but it didn't seem unreasonable to me given that a lot of my students didn't have much to eat at home and they're so active anyway.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    In case anyone is interested, here's the menu for next month's Chicago Public Schools lunches (elementary): http://www.cps.edu/About_CPS/Departments/Documents/Nutrition/ElemLunchEnglishApril.pdf

And high school: http://www.cps.edu/About_CPS/Departments/Documents/Nutrition/HSLunchEnglishApril.pdf

I assume people are bothered about the plethora of pizza and tacos and hot dogs and so on, but haven't really been following the complaints about school lunches.

As part of being picky as a smaller child and part of a group that didn't go to the lunchroom in high school I always brought my lunch, so have no fond hot lunch memories.

Wow I'm just amazed by how many choices they get. I think we got the hot lunch option, salad bar, and sometimes a la carte, which was usually popcorn chicken or similar.