Easter

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Argh, can't seem to quote the above.

That is definitely no standard school lunch that I've ever seen. Just going over to my son's school lunch schedule, picking the first entry:

Monday, 4.6.15 (spring break is this coming week):

Crunchy breaded catfish or cheeseburger on a bun
    Golden baked French fries
    Diced pears, romaine lettuce
    Green peas
    Green beans
    White, chocolate or strawberry milk

If you're ever worried that the youth of today are starving, just drive past your local school and take a look at the kids. I think it will put your fears to rest. :)

It depends on where you live. The kids in the districts where I taught were starving. The single biggest discipline issue was stealing food (and especially milk because it could be opened later) from the cafeteria. I once had a student get arrested at the local gas station because he asked them for the chicken strips they were about to throw out at the end of the day and they said no. For him (a gang member) asking for charity was a really big deal and he didn't react well when they said no.

Now, where I live now you're absolutely correct. There's a much much lower percentage of people who live in poverty. When I started out though I remember vividly seeing some politician on television saying that we don't have true poverty in America and that there aren't people living in squalor or children not being able to get enough to eat. The contrast between his comments and my experience at the time was striking.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I agree with Acrylics. We are at a great school in a problematic, underfunded, unaccredited district but even a good percentage of our kids were on free and reduced lunch before they decided to make it free for all kids. For kids that may not get meals at home, having the security of meals at school is really important and I have no problem with them feeding kids "unhealthy" choices that are safe bets just so those kids get something in their stomachs. I'd rather those kids have the option for pizza and chicken nuggets every day then only offer and have them turn down steamed fish and vegetables.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    You know the comments from everyone about how great the kids food tasted when we were kids and how terrible it tastes now does make me think there's something to it when my kids insist they don't like the food I make for dinner, that it's too "spicy" which I think they just say because it has different flavors than the kid food. I always roll my eyes and think they are just being difficult but maybe the sweetness of the chef boyardee ravioli makes it a lot more palatable to them than my ravioli with homemade or even jarred marinara sauce.

There's something to this, I think.

It's funny to remember, but I HATED spicy food as a child. When we went to whatever Americanized Mexican place we went to, I'd order from the kid's menu--a burger, of course. I'm not sure when that changed, but by my teens I prided myself on being a somewhat adventurous eater and liked lots of spicy things (inherited from my parents, probably, as they love telling stories about how they went out to dinner with some Indian/Thai/Korean friend who said Americans would find something or other too spicy, but they loved it). My sister still doesn't care for spicy, though.

But isn't there something science-related behind being born with the ability to enjoy sweet flavors but having to grow into spicy and bitter?

Yup, I remember this from my Evolution of the Human Diet class at uni. Totally a thing. It's part of our defense mechanism as omnivores against poisoning ourselves, bitter is a natural aversion, but we can overcome it, ie learn to eat bitter/spicy foods - we try it, it doesn't make us sick, we continue to eat it. I still remember my professor telling us about this and using cats as an example of an animal, as obligate carnivores, who will not eat spicy. I told her about my spicy food-loving cat (srsly, Indian food, he wanted to clean the plate, and loved hot 'n spicy Pringles). I probably have some reading references for this if anyone wants to know more. It also ties into the reflex to throw up from bad food, and is why if you eat something that makes you sick, or even just stuff when you have a tummy bug that you then throw up, you set yourself up for rejecting that food in the future (gag reflex). I once put myself off apple juice for ages by drinking it when I had a tummy bug :(. This is how I know ice cream, chips, pizza, doughnuts etc are not bad food, our bodies would reject them if they were ;) (oh I am so pulling that one out on the next 'bad foods' thread!!). I've probably explained all that terribly, still on my first coffee!
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Isn't it a sad thought, that a lunch at school may be he only meal a kid gets? My church does an amazing g thing they call backpack buddies. They pack bags with non perishable foods, hygiene products and whatnot to help the underprivileged children in the school district.

I wish we didnt have to have such problems. The thoughts of kids going hungry makes me want to cry so hard :(
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Isn't it a sad thought, that a lunch at school may be he only meal a kid gets? My church does an amazing g thing they call backpack buddies. They pack bags with non perishable foods, hygiene products and whatnot to help the underprivileged children in the school district.

I wish we didnt have to have such problems. The thoughts of kids going hungry makes me want to cry so hard :(

There were programs like that in my district-- for elementary kids. Once the students age out into high school the types of programs like that drop to near zero in my area. Maybe it's better elsewhere.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Yes. It truly is awful that this can happen.

However, let us face facts. According to the AHA, anyway, if their stats are good, as of 2011 one in three children in the U.S. were overweight, including an obese segment (I don't know what percentage of the overweight children are/were obese).

Poverty is an obvious and very, very hard exception (though it is by no means impossible that an impoverished person be obese), but overwhelmingly, no, our children are not in a national crisis of being chronically underfed at lunch time. I am not trying to sound cavalier - even one underfed child is one child too many, and anyone would have to have no heart at all to think that's okay. But the intimation that school lunches are generally - meaning, as a rule - too small just wouldn't appear to be valid, from an overall perspective.

As far as "healthy" choices, I was pointing out total calories; people make their own choices specifically as far as health is concerned and we all have different definitions of "healthy food" anyway. I'm not about to make a judgment there.
  • JulieAnneFIU
    JulieAnneFIU Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It's been years since I've had a Cadberry Egg. Can someone tell me what they taste like and if there is a taste difference between the regular egg and the mini eggs? My husband says they're too sweet but I have yet to find a food too sweet for my tastes.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    This thRead took a serious turn, we need to get back to bunny jokes and MMA training tips!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The kids in the districts where I taught were starving.

Yeah, that the school breakfasts and lunches are a major part of the nutritional needs for some huge percentage of the students is an issue at CPS, too.
  • hollyrayburn
    Options
    Hah, reason this is my favorite thread: it j chides cage fighting, egg fights, peep dresses, and childhood poverty and obesity. We have it ALL!!
  • LAWoman72
    Options
    Hah, reason this is my favorite thread: it j chides cage fighting, egg fights, peep dresses, and childhood poverty and obesity. We have it ALL!!

It is, for sure, MFP at its finest. :D
  • hollyrayburn
    Options

Man. I need to start proofreading. Gotta love the autocorrect on iPhones. Haha.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    we live in a poor rural area and kids get free breakfast and lunch. its not great, but could be worse. this is mondays choices in the elem. school my son goes to:

breakfast
    Cinnamon Bun or Breakfast Pizza
    Juice or Milk

lunch
    Chicken Rings or Beanie Weenies or Uncrustable PBJ
    Yeast Roll or Mashed Potatoes
    Seasoned Greens
    Tropical Fruit
    milk

on the upside, since there are no eggs, all of these children will surely grow to be MMA fighters!
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    And to stop being a downer, here's some advice on what to do with your hard boiled egg:

• lemurcat12
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    And to stop being a downer, here's some advice on what to do with your hard boiled egg:

Heh, oops, don't know how to fix that. I guess it will remain a mystery to everyone else!
  • LAWoman72
    Options

Oh but Autocorrect delivers its own very special brand of entertainment.

I remember when I was in PM with a male pen pal and I was trying to tell him that I was an "NJ girl." This is insane, but my Kindle kept trying to autocorrect NJ to BJ. I was flustered and kept trying to repeatedly correct this, but I suppose a little too fast, so I was telling this man over and over, "No no, I meant I'm a BJ girl, a BJ girl!"

No wonder he wanted to be my pen pal.
  • hollyrayburn
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

Oh but Autocorrect delivers its own very special brand of entertainment.

I remember when I was in PM with a male pen pal and I was trying to tell him that I was an "NJ girl." This is insane, but my Kindle kept trying to autocorrect NJ to BJ. I was flustered and kept trying to repeatedly correct this, but I suppose a little too fast, so I was telling this man over and over, "No no, I meant I'm a BJ girl, a BJ girl!"

No wonder he wanted to be my pen pal.

And there was the time I was going to get a pedicure before heading to my best friends house. I informed her "I'll be there soon, just gonna find somewhere to get a pedophile while I'm out and about"

Gotta love it. :)
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I was at a 4H poultry event today. THERE WILL BE NO CAGEFIGHTERS HERE!

Plus we got ice cream at the state university Ag school shop afterwards. WINNING IN NORTHERN CT.
  • RudeboyCantFail
    RudeboyCantFail Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    The thread that won't die (dye?): According to this story, this product called "Easter Egg Cookies" had to be recalled because they do, in fact, contain eggs.