Atkins???

Options
Does low carb work? Has anyone had success? If so, what's a typical daily meal plan look like?
I have a friend at work who has lost 60lbs doing Atkins but I'm not sure how it works.

Replies

• whataj1
    whataj1 Posts: 4 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Atkins is low carb high fat high protein diet/meal/eating plan. All diets work you just need to know what you are doing and enjoy it at the same time. It is a process to go through if the programme is not handed to you. I'm trying to find a way where people can view other people's or friends entry's. if there is a way you could do that you could look at mine. I use Atkins x3 days, high carb low fat low protein x1day, high protein low fat low cardx2 days and a fasting dayx1day with a high protein high carb low fat meal at the end of the day.
    From what I've learnt by using Atkins is you run your body out of carbs which is the 1st energy source your body turns too. With carbs gone, fat is the 2nd source of energy the body turns to. This Is only really recommended for three days consecutive or dependent on your body. everyones different.That is the basic explanation. Down side is when you body relies on fat as energy too much, the body can develop to many 'ketones' which can poison the body. This is because the glycogen and insulin stores are empty in the lever due to the absence of carbs. Hence why it is only recommended three days and then have a high carb day to replenish those stores.
    This is a brief explanation hopefully well enough to understand. Nutrition and health is finding a balance between all micro/macro nutrients vitamins and minerals as well as exercise. I hope this helps and maybe you could help me with sharing entry's between person thanks.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    whataj1 wrote: »
    Atkins is low carb high fat high protein diet/meal/eating plan. All diets work you just need to know what you are doing and enjoy it at the same time. It is a process to go through if the programme is not handed to you. I'm trying to find a way where people can view other people's or friends entry's. if there is a way you could do that you could look at mine. I use Atkins x3 days, high carb low fat low protein x1day, high protein low fat low cardx2 days and a fasting dayx1day with a high protein high carb low fat meal at the end of the day.
    From what I've learnt by using Atkins is you run your body out of carbs which is the 1st energy source your body turns too. With carbs gone, fat is the 2nd source of energy the body turns to. This Is only really recommended for three days consecutive or dependent on your body. everyones different.That is the basic explanation. Down side is when you body relies on fat as energy too much, the body can develop to many 'ketones' which can poison the body. This is because the glycogen and insulin stores are empty in the lever due to the absence of carbs. Hence why it is only recommended three days and then have a high carb day to replenish those stores.
    This is a brief explanation hopefully well enough to understand. Nutrition and health is finding a balance between all micro/macro nutrients vitamins and minerals as well as exercise. I hope this helps and maybe you could help me with sharing entry's between person thanks.

Not even remotely close to accurate.

@jenniarndtheway go here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

You'll find plenty of answers there from people who actually know what they're talking about. Please do not take that bolded bit of advice above.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Atkins is low carb high fat high protein diet/meal/eating plan.

No it isn't, it is low carb (20 grams a day on the first phase, of which 60-75% from vegetables) but moderate protein and high fat.

Fat is high as a % because with protein at sensible amounts like 1.5 - 2 grams per kg ideal body weight and carbs limited you need fat to fill the gap.

Typical Phase 1 Atkins dieters eat 1300-1500 calories and are satiated by the types of food and the lack of a blood sugar rollercoaster.

www.atkins.com
  • yarwell
    Options
    Does low carb work? Has anyone had success? If so, what's a typical daily meal plan look like?
    I have a friend at work who has lost 60lbs doing Atkins but I'm not sure how it works.

Lost >42lbs in 6 months in 2010, still at that weight.

B: Bacon and egg, maybe a bit of black pudding or half a tomato
    L: An ounce of cheese and 20 almonds or walnuts. A square or 2 of 85% cocoa chocolate.
    D: 4 oz / 113 gram burger with 20% fat. 80-100g of green beans fried in coconut oil and 80-100g of steamed broccoli.

random day for me.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    First, I had never heard of black pudding until I just looked it up.. sound kind of yummy..

Second, in order to know what low carb does, you have to try and if you want a diet or menu plan they are everywhere (just google). It will give you higher protein and higher fat options and choose from the list and eat that way for about 3 days..

Let us know if you sustain this.. Most people cannot.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I will echo others stating do not follow @whataj1 wrote in his post. He may have meant well but it is wrong on all levels...

Low carb (really low carb) is dangerous unless you know what you are doing...
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    I will echo others stating do not follow @whataj1 wrote in his post. He may have meant well but it is wrong on all levels...

Low carb (really low carb) is dangerous unless you know what you are doing...
    Dangerous, as in danger danger Will Robinson? or something else. :p
  • kristenlarkin
    kristenlarkin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I am doing low carb, high fat. I have lost 103 pounds since July 21. It definitely works. There are a ton of recipes on Atkins.com. Also, if you have a facebook, join the "I love low carb" There are a ton of recipes there as well
  • kristenlarkin
    Options
    Low carb is not dangerous. I have been eating under 20g a day and there have been people doing it for years. A lot of doctors actually recommend it now. Your body will take about 2 weeks to adjust to the low carb way of life so give it 2 weeks and then decide if you like it or not. A lot (not all) of people go through withdrawal at first, but it will pass. Drink a lot of chicken broth and water to take away some of those withdrawal symptoms. After a week or 2 you will feel great and lose weight.
  • whataj1
    Options
    cool, I didn't mean anything by "discussing" the diet but you guys have only answered the second part of her question which 'maybe' right but none of you have given an explanation on how it actually works. What i done was gave a 'BREIF' explanation on how it works with the 'body' and had also mentioned it depends on your body type(nothing specific just a run down). i also mentioned the extremes of what has been proven to happen through peer reviewed articles.
    if it sounds like nonsense to you then thats ok were only human we make mistakes.
    We have to understand that food is complex and there is no 1 way to diet even if it is atkins with 20g of carbs a day in comparison to another individual who does the same diet with 30g even taking into consideration height current weight age ethnicity etc. we dont all have 1200 calorie diets, you would not give that number to an obese person. the individual would starve. does that make his/her version of aktins wrong and change the name of the diet. 40% fat 49% protein 11% carbs
    i feel the main point here is to know how it works.
    if i am wrong please correct me on how it works but im fairly sure the energy source to burn first is carbs then fat and protien should never be used as energy. but that way metabolism works is being able to understand it your self (which could take a life time to figure out). in saying that i found my BMR to be 12774kj

rdmr4ezrl8ch.png

nd1p0adndld1.png

started at 171cm 28yo 91kg 32% body fat now 88kg @20% body fat since February. minimal amounts of exercise due to injuries @ this is my success so far with my version of Atkins diet being involved in my eating plan
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    cool, I didn't mean anything by "discussing" the diet but you guys have only answered the second part of her question which 'maybe' right but none of you have given an explanation on how it actually works. What i done was gave a 'BREIF' explanation on how it works with the 'body' and had also mentioned it depends on your body type(nothing specific just a run down). i also mentioned the extremes of what has been proven to happen through peer reviewed articles.
    if it sounds like nonsense to you then thats ok were only human we make mistakes.
    We have to understand that food is complex and there is no 1 way to diet even if it is atkins with 20g of carbs a day in comparison to another individual who does the same diet with 30g even taking into consideration height current weight age ethnicity etc. we dont all have 1200 calorie diets, you would not give that number to an obese person. the individual would starve. does that make his/her version of aktins wrong and change the name of the diet. 40% fat 49% protein 11% carbs
    i feel the main point here is to know how it works.
    if i am wrong please correct me on how it works but im fairly sure the energy source to burn first is carbs then fat and protien should never be used as energy. but that way metabolism works is being able to understand it your self (which could take a life time to figure out). in saying that i found my BMR to be 12774kj

rdmr4ezrl8ch.png

nd1p0adndld1.png

started at 171cm 28yo 91kg 32% body fat now 88kg @20% body fat since February. minimal amounts of exercise due to injuries @ this is my success so far with my version of Atkins diet being involved in my eating plan

Nobody here mentioned 1200, you described something which is blatantly not Atkins, as well as untrue, in reply to someone asking about Atkins. You may have done some personal IF carb loading hybrid that worked for you, but it has nothing to do with what the OP was asking about, nor is the "must eat carbs every 3 days" thing necessary or even necessarily safe.

The group I directed the OP to has a tutorial section which explains the science, what needs to be monitored, links on how to properly and safely set up her macros, including the correct deficit (not the one MFP assumes everyone needs). It was much faster than a kind of sort of close but not quite description of how it works, and a dangerously inaccurate description of how it should be done.
  • whataj1
    Options
    it is recommended in the point of science not to not carb load, but rest the body for the sake of to many ketones developing in the body which can lead to poisons for example cheat day. (this is an extreme not a common happening and also is an interesting piece of information). she asked how it worked in the first part of her question which you still haven't given a description on how the physiology within the anatomy works?
    and someone above mentioned a calorie intake which lead me mention the fairness of how much an individual should in take (BMR). i describe what the body does when the thermal effect of food is used in a particular way such as Atkins. this is not an assumption this is what iv found in peer reviewed articles.and like i mentioned again food is complex
    it seems to me you may have a fixed mindset and what you know is correct by saying what iv stated is wrong. with that being said could i please hear how it works from you. i am willing to 'learn'.
    aktins although these days is used by anyone was designed for a type 2 diabetic to bring down weight and lower cholesterol. would you agree?
  • yarwell
    Options
    Dr Atkins devised a weight loss diet for overweight people attending his clinic, based on science and information that has been around for many many years. He did not focus in Type 2 diabetics.
    if i am wrong please correct me on how it works but im fairly sure the energy source to burn first is carbs

A person on a high carb diet will indeed use a high proportion of energy from carbs, as the fuel mix burned tends to reflect that eaten.

Anyone eating carbs will reduce their fat burn in order to return blood sugar levels to normal. Atkins "works" by avoiding this effect, sticking to fat burning, and the reduced insulin levels help release fat from storage.

BMR is not a food intake requirement.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Dr Atkins devised a weight loss diet for overweight people attending his clinic, based on science and information that has been around for many many years. He did not focus in Type 2 diabetics.
    if i am wrong please correct me on how it works but im fairly sure the energy source to burn first is carbs

A person on a high carb diet will indeed use a high proportion of energy from carbs, as the fuel mix burned tends to reflect that eaten.

Anyone eating carbs will reduce their fat burn in order to return blood sugar levels to normal. Atkins "works" by avoiding this effect, sticking to fat burning, and the reduced insulin levels help release fat from storage.

BMR is not a food intake requirement.
    If your in a deficit. Whether someone burns fat or carbs for fuel is moot really because fat loss is determined by a deficit. Been there, done that. I'm now at around 25% carbs or about 200g and have been for many years and my cut and bulk cycles are effortless, can't say it was that easy before. that's not to say that a vlcd can't be suitable for you, just didn't make much sense considering the restriction and effort comparatively speaking.

• yarwell
    Options
    You have to burn the fat in the end if you want to get rid of it.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Yup and isn't that why most are here. (rhetorical)

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Low carb works for some and not for others. Give it a try - you may be one of the former.

This is about right. Just remember that whatever you do to lose the weight is something that you need to make sure you can sustain indefinitely. Otherwise, once you stop, the weight will probably come right back.

Low-carb is not for me, personally. I need my carbs to fuel my workouts and I'm unwilling to live that lifestyle permanently. I'm not insulin resistant, so I don't need to limit carbs for health reasons, either. I have nothing against it for others, though.

Every single person I've known who has tried low-carb (at least a dozen people) has had good success in losing weight on it. However, only ONE guy I know has been able to maintain long-term (2+ years). Everybody else I know has gained back all the weight and most even added a few extra pounds. They felt they couldn't keep it up long term and slid back into their old ways. But when it works, it really works.

If you enjoy a low-carb lifestyle and it's something you can sustain, go for it. But if you find it's a struggle, I'd just focus on overall calorie reduction instead. But try it and see. Plenty of people swear by it.

Good luck! :)
  • yarwell
    Options
    Yup and isn't that why most are here. (rhetorical)

Indeed, entering a cut cycle after 10 to 40 years of bulking ;-)

• kristenlarkin
    Options
    Whatever diet you choose, you have to be able to stick with it for life. Personally, I find this way the easiest way to stick to for life, others find low calorie the easiest way. I am a carb/sugar addict. A little bit of it, makes me crave it more, so by eliminating it almost completely I solved my problem. Others are different. I don't have cheat days (I might on rare occasion when I'm at my goal weight) I find if I cheat then I have to fight off cravings for a few days, which is not a big deal, but just not worth it to me. When I started I gave my self 2 weeks to see if I liked it. The first week, I hated it. I went through withdrawal and felt horrible. After that, I realized this is the way for me to live for life. It is so easy for me, I'm never hungry, I only have to add up to 20, I can find something to eat anywhere I go. There are a lot of low carb diets out there, that others seem to be doing here. There is no wrong way to do it, you just need to see what works best for you.
  • Elkroawolfan
    Options
    Your body does not want low carbohydrates instead choose better quality carb foods such as bake potatoes, stop eating confectionary foods, consuming these simple carb foods means the body only uses what it needs for normal functions (that is a small amount), if your not active enough, it turns it into fat. some fats are good but not loads of it.