Size 12 little black dress=Panic and anxiety

Options
13»

Replies

• emilyesq
    emilyesq Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Wow, you're a knockout in that dress. Congrats!

I had similar issues with clothes shopping back a few years ago when I got my weight under 200 pounds. I actually shopped at plus sized stores for ages, long after their sizes were way too big for me, because I just didn't realize how much smaller I was. I didn't get it until a friend of mine, who was always much smaller than me, offered to let me borrow one of her dresses for an event. I told her there was no way it would fit me, and then I tried it on, and it did, like a glove. The next day I went shopping and finally figured out that I was actually three sizes smaller than the clothes I'd been buying. It's a great feeling when you finally get it. :)
  • Princess_in_training84
    Options
    this is such an inspiration to me as i started at a similar weight...although mine is coming off so slowly with a total of 16lbs off so far
  • nola_girl504
    nola_girl504 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the emotions I just went through.

In the last 15+ months I have lost almost 110# from my highest weight (SW-294, CW-185, GW-165 Height-5'10"). Yes, I have had to but new clothes along the way, but even when I tell myself I'm not a plus size woman anymore, I still gravitate towards and purchase mostly "safe", "conservative" fashions in sizes that are probably too big and baggy on my new body. Today, I met my best friend at the mall. We went into a store and she tried on an adorable little black dress and looked stunning in it. While the clerk was tending to her, I made the comment that I wished it came in my size. She quickly walked away to the sales floor and returned with a size 12 in the same dress. To be quite honest, I really didn't know what size I was, so I was a little apprehensive to try it on. Especially in a non-plus size store, which I have had to shop at for almost 10 years. I really didn't want to be embarrassed or emotionally crushed if I couldn't even get the darn thing over my hips. Reluctantly, I went into the fitting room and tried it on. I walked out to the large, 3-way mirror to get a better look. My best friend immediately hugged me and started to tear up a bit. I looked again at my reflection. The dress fit. Oh my gosh. Not only did it fit, but it looked amazing. I didn't have to suck my stomach in to get it zipped (thank you, core strengthening exercises and kettlebells), or need to tell myself that I won't look like a busted can of biscuits if I lose another 10#. My problem is that I felt like I was looking at a stranger in the mirror. I started to cry. Tears of disbelief, pride, fear, amazement, anger (towards my former overweight self)...so many emotions.

I composed myself a bit, bought the dress, but couldn't forward to do any more shopping. I had to go home. I am trying to wrap my brain around this "new" me that I truly saw for the first time in that dressing room mirror today. Every rational, logical part of me tells me I should just be ecstatic and enjoy who I am now, but I am so overwhelmed with an array of feelings. I am feeling a little panic and anxiety because I don't know how to handle this.

This post brought tears to my eyes. You don't realize how emotional weightloss can be. I recently changed my lifestyle and this really hits home. I cannot wait to fill my soul with such emotions. I am so happy to have read this.
    congratulations!
  • pmg2000m
    pmg2000m Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look fabulous! I'm so happy for you! You certainly worked hard, and you should be very proud of yourself :D
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Dahling! You make that dress look fabulous! Every time you doubt yourself put it on and raise the roof!
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    Fabulous....get to know your new self.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    YOU LOOK FABULOUS!!!!! Thank you for being brave and sharing with us. I hope that you wear it a lot. I especially like your smile.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    trina1049 wrote: »
    Dahling! You make that dress look fabulous! Every time you doubt yourself put it on and raise the roof!

This!
  • yiscaht
    yiscaht Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! I teared up reading, then scrolled down ... holy moly!! You look AHHHH-Mazing! Congratulations. Be prepared to turn heads when you decide to wear that out.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    That's a great dress, and you look fantastic! It will take a while to process your feelings, but gradually, you will begin to see the new you as the real you :heart: When I read your original post, I was so happy to hear that you bought the dress!!! :)
  • navyjen
    navyjen Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    COngrats you look amazing and I bet you feel ever better. Happy happy for you.
  • laura3977
    laura3977 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Beautiful story - thank you for sharing!!! And like others have said, you make that dress look amazing!!!
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I can’t help saying that you are really truly beautiful, both inside and out, by the sound of it! That dress looks just amazing on you - you should wear it with pride. Congratulations on your success :smile: