What was the last straw?

Options

Replies

• misjay31
    misjay31 Posts: 7
    Options
    For me it was December 2014, when I stepped on the scale and saw that I weighed 183lbs. 4 years ago, I weighed 135. I was disgusted with myself that I let myself go that badly.I knew I had to make a change and fast!
  • maceyanglin
    maceyanglin Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bump, read later! awesome!
  • micheledennis78
    micheledennis78 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You would think it was the SLE Lupus, Fibromyalgia, or maybe even the Cancer!? But no, it was when my normally low blood pressure became hypertensive and the type 2 diabetes crept in. Not afraid of needles, just not real keen on the idea of stabbing myself everyday over something that I can fix with a healthier lifestyle! :)
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    My last straw was the double-whammy of seeing myself in my "before" phone, and facing possible knee replacement surgery.

Both my "after" photo and my knee are much, much better.
  • deedeesaysraaa
    deedeesaysraaa Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I wanted a particular gothic dress but us alternative girls know how hard it is to find plus size clothing..... Anyway, I decided enough was enough and bought my 'goal dress' from Hell Bunny.... And the journey began. Oh that and I let my friend take a picture of me (usually I just take selfies until I take one that looks ok) and it was hideous.
  • notfbam
    notfbam Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I went to the video store to get a movie, crouched down seeing one of my favorites on the bottom shelf, and could not for the life of me, get back up. I thought, oh I will grab the shelf and use it as support, but it moved and all I could envision was the whole shelf coming crashing down on me. So I seriously had to roll on the floor like a taco and use my some weird combat role to get up. And I dropped the DVD. I am 52 years old and should be afforded the dignity of gracefully retrieving any DVD I so choose.

• notfbam
    notfbam Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    And now you are affording YOURSELF that luxury! Wishing you much success and thanking you for your honesty! !!!! :)
  • jenmovies
    jenmovies Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I looked in the mirror one day, sans clothing, and realised that it didn't look like me. It was someone else's body. So I have been working hard ever since, and trying every single day to make better food choices.
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    My profile pic. This was taken at work (part of a larger photo) and used on Facebook by a coworker on our official page. Mortified.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    What was the final push you had to finally lose the weight? What was your motivation?

My little one being born. I've been floundering but it looks like food logging on MFP is getting it done!
  • chellseaworley101
    chellseaworley101 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The last straw was a month before my high school graduation about 2 years ago. I never knew how fat I was, honestly. My boyfriend's family keeps A scale in their garage right by the door. One day as we were taking our shoes off to enter the house, he wanted to weigh himself for fun (he's not fat & doesn't care about his weight anyway). After he weighed himself, I decided to weigh myself. I weighed 12 pounds more than him! He's 6'1"& I'm 5'5". There is NO reason I should weigh more than him! Also, I was 10 pounds away from 200! After that day, I started looking at myself in the mirror & at pictures & I realized for the first time how fat I was. Now I'm 30 pounds down & make sure not to wear tight clothing & suck it in for pictures! :P
  • lmbs1966
    lmbs1966 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Emdjoker64 wrote: »
    I just got so tired of feeling disgusted with myself. I don't care how other people see me, it's how I see me. And I am not happy with the way I look. So in order for me to be happy I have to lose weight.

Mee too! My exact thoughts, and only I can do the changing!
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I wanted a particular gothic dress but us alternative girls know how hard it is to find plus size clothing..... Anyway, I decided enough was enough and bought my 'goal dress' from Hell Bunny.... And the journey began. Oh that and I let my friend take a picture of me (usually I just take selfies until I take one that looks ok) and it was hideous.

^^
    Ra'men
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Leading a Dave Ramsey FPU class about money management. Dave has a phrase - Adults make a plan and stick to it, children do whatever feels good at the moment.
    When I was struggling to get out of the car, going up the stairs to the bedroom was hard, clothes didn't fit and I was having trouble finding any, I decided to be an adult.

We have taught FPU too!
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    My last straw happened when I was flexing my non-existent muscles in the mirror one morning. I noticed that my man boobs had gotten so big that I could pull off some pretty impressive cleavage action.
  • hezemakiah
    hezemakiah Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Feeling constricted by my clothing, no ease of movement (every little thing began to feel more challenging) and feeling awkward in public because of my size. Not to mention finding out I was pre-diabetic!!!
  • everypoundeveryflaw
    Options
    I was the perfect weight about 3-4 years ago. I loved my body, scars or not. And when I got put on this one anti-depressant, it made my appetite sky rocket. I ate huge amounts of food-junk food, and gain about 30 lbs. I didn't like the way I looked, but nobody said anything so I didn't know if it was just me or not. Until someone asked me if I was pregnant(I wasn't). I looked in the mirror after that, and I was like "damn..I DO look pregnant" so, that was the straw. I made a plan, and I stuck with it. I've lost over 15 lbs so far. I now weigh 98 lbs and I feel better than ever. (also, people seem to look past the fact that I have scars on my arms/legs as long as I have a nice bod)
  • shamcd
    shamcd Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have a few 'last straws'

- Having just bought a new pair of designer jeans that were a little too tight, then buying a button extender just to fit my fat *kitten* into them.
    - I live in Florida and love the beach, but I make excuses every summer to not go.
    - Two words: Chub Rub
    - And the most important one, I'm tired of the self-loathing. I HATED everything about myself and I finally realized just how exhausting and sad this is.
  • LorraineZinn
    LorraineZinn Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I worked a retail job where I had to stand 8-12 hours straight without a single break. At 222 pounds, it was murdering my feet and knees. I knew there was only one fix! Now I've lost 46 pounds, or as I like to think of it, 23 pounds per knee. I also quit that awful job and now I work in an office. ;)
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    In January my cousin asked me to be her Main of Honor, her wedding is in July. My family had been helping me look for a dress (I get to pick my own), I kept hearing things like "You want something that is flattering", "You need something that can hid some extra weight", "Good thing the color is Navy, dark colors are slimming", I cried then decided I needed to lift my spirits and get where I want to be.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!