Book: The science of fat loss

Options

Replies

• slowbutsure2
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    You don't understand what CICO means, then. And that's OK - many people think they do, but really don't.

As has been alluded to - hormones and medical conditions, among other things, affect the CO part of the equation. CICO isn't just eating what some online "calculator" tells you to eat. Those "calculators" are just estimates, based on averages.

For many people, they seem to think that - if MFP tells them to eat x amount to lose 1 lb per week - they'll lose that 1 lb per week, no matter what. When that doesn't happen, they claim that CICO doesn't work. What they failed to do - in addition to those that don't log/measure/account for exercise and activity accurately - is take into account any medical issues they may have. Sometimes, they don't even know this at first, until things don't work like they think they should and they end up going to a doctor and finding out something is wrong. Some online estimators don't take body composition into account, either. That's another factor that plays into your own individual CO.

In short, CICO works. For many (most?) people, 2+2=4, no real problem. For others, with various conditions, 2+2+x+y+z=q. Once you figure out what x, y, and z are, you can then determine q.

I do understand CICo, and I don't think you have said anything that I haven't said here. What i said in my original post is that it's not 'just' cico, and that's it. There are many threads here where people are blasted for not getting that it's just cico and they must be either eating more than they think or burning less than they think. As you say, this can be wrong it can be cico + xyz. I'm hoping that the people in that camp might be less dogmatic.

You really don't understand CICO. You were told multiple times that that "xyz" you're talking about is the CO part.
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    lowendfuzz wrote: »
    Whatever works for you my friend. Perhaps for reasonably healthy people CICO is true but it ain't the whole truth. And to someone with real depression and stress, spending a bit on some supplements (not from Phil, he doesn't sell them) is nothing. Most people would actually and really give their right arm to live in the light again.

speaking from a personal experience, no I would not spend money on what some "trainer" told me. I got professional help, i'm not going to pay from some BS

Don't you think that's a bit naive? A professional is someone qualified in their field and earn their living from it. That would be Phil Johnson. And other professional athletes like Amhir Khan (boxer) pay Phil for his professional services. Calling something BS without having studied it is not really that clever. I do understand the cynicism as there is a lot of rubbish and nonsense out there. I posted this as I think it is not in that category.

They are pushing supplements, and saying CICO is a myth despite decades worth of metabolic ward research on obese ie "not healthy" patients. Yeah, I'll file that under pseudoscience.

My friend, you are absolutising in order to win cheap points and feel good about quickly dismissing something. Not a very scientific approach. I would suggest you get or borrow the book, read all the peer reviewed research that it quotes and is based on, and then come to an intelligent, informed decision. If you don't want to do that then the only other intelligent thing to do is suspend judgment.

Of course, eggs, milk and full fat everything has been declared bad for decades by nutritional scientists, and promoted by doctors, governments and health organisations. Now, that hasn't been over turned recently by scientific progress, has it?

Ah yes read the book, zealots gonna zealot

Lol, there were two options. 2. Don't read the book and suspend judgment. e.g don't come to a conclusion based on ignorance.
  • aquamarina_182
    aquamarina_182 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    @slowbutsure2 everyone will always bash your opinions on here....i've seen it over and over again, everyone thinks their way is the right way. 0_o
  • slowbutsure2
    Options
    jewelryS wrote: »
    Never read the book myself. I have read several and dealt with weight issues all of my life. What I have learned with what I have read and with experience that calories play a role but not the way you think. It's the type of calories that make a difference. Protein, carbs, SUGAR, fats. I found that eating what ever I wanted in terms of protein no carbs didn't work I still gained. Cutting calories to a good level and then adding enough exercise to burn off pounds, nope didn't work either. I eat 90% or more whole foods, I rarely eat anything I didn't make from scratch still gained or lost nothing (felt better though).

Some people and those who tend to suffer from depression do much better decreasing sugar (even natural from fruit) and keeping the carbs they eat to very complex. That being said even removing excess sugar and carbs or if you eat and then remove fried/breaded foods you can still over eat other foods and your body does store excess energy in it fuel reserves (Fat). I too have depression issues and have discovered that certain foods just effect it, so I avoid them. Depression does affect not only your weight but your overall health.

If you have found something that is working for you I think that is wonderful. Remember everyone is different. Some can carb load around their workouts and loose weight, while other of us it just doesn't work. Some can stick to higher protein and continue to loose weight after the initial 2 or 3 weeks, me nope didn't work. I am hoping that it all goes great for you! It's tough to find what works best for yourself as an individual.

Yeah absolutely. I wasn't trying to replace a cico one size fits all with my own one size fits all. Thanks.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Where these magic pills that will help me lose weight?
    tumblr_mpdjonMvaQ1rvvdtlo2_500.jpg

• slowbutsure2
    Options

yopeeps025 wrote: »

I know your being silly, but I will reply anyway. The book addresses some reasons why you can't lose weight, stress and depression were one of them. The book does not recommend magic diet pills that make you lose weight. It addresses dealing with the reason why you can't lose weight.

Taking your approach, you could say to someone, go the beach and go on holiday as it will make you happy, don't listen to crazy doctors that tell you to take magic pills that will make you happy again; depression is a myth.

Life is a tad more complex than that.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

I know your being silly, but I will reply anyway. The book addresses some reasons why you can't lose weight, stress and depression were one of them. The book does not recommend magic diet pills that make you lose weight. It addresses dealing with the reason why you can't lose weight.

Taking your approach, you could say to someone, go the beach and go on holiday as it will make you happy, don't listen to crazy doctors that tell you to take magic pills that will make you happy again; depression is a myth.

Everyone has stress in life. Depression is an outlier. A medical issue that sometimes takes medication to deal with. I would think that depression would play a role in the CO portion like how alcohol digest first before fat oxidation.
  • slowbutsure2
    Options

Everyone has stress in life. Depression is an outlier. A medical issue that sometimes takes medication to deal with. I would think that depression would play a role in the CO portion like how alcohol digest first before fat oxidation.

I shouldn't wince at 'everyone has stress in life' because its true; but I do a little as it seems like a simplistic dismissal. I guess it's not really the stress that's the issue, unless you have PTSD or acute stress disorder etc. it is really a persons ability to cope with the stress, which I guess is a symptom of depression. Some people can dance through events that are seen as major, while others collapse under the slightest stress.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    please explain to me how CICO is a myth ...
  • slowbutsure2
    Options
    @slowbutsure2 everyone will always bash your opinions on here....i've seen it over and over again, everyone thinks their way is the right way. 0_o

Yes I've seen it too, very sad. I think as human beings our sense of value can mistaking oy come from championing a cause and the sense of being right. I've done it too. Much better if the first priority is to support others, and to share and evaluate ideas without any vested interest. But to err is human
  • yopeeps025
    Options

I shouldn't wince at 'everyone has stress in life' because its true; but I do a little as it seems like a simplistic dismissal. I guess it's not really the stress that's the issue, unless you have PTSD or acute stress disorder etc. it is really a persons ability to cope with the stress, which I guess is a symptom of depression. Some people can dance through events that are seen as major, while others collapse under the slightest stress.

So I assume that high stress levels change the CO portion of the equation?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Yes I've seen it too, very sad. I think as human beings our sense of value can mistaking oy come from championing a cause and the sense of being right. I've done it too. Much better if the first priority is to support others, and to share and evaluate ideas without any vested interest. But to err is human

pot+meet+kettle.jpg
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Oh I see, so this is one of those threads where no one understands how CICO truly works except the OP right?

Someones written a book about it so it has to be true ;)
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    pregnenolone and Phosphatidylserine, and phosphatidylcholine for depression? No...depression is caused by certain neurochemicals in the brain getting out of their proper level. Moderate to severe depression is best treated through a combination of a doctor prescribed medication and psychotherapy. I'm a mental health therapist and believe in treating the whole person...body, mind, spirit and addressing psychosocial and environmental factors. I encourage my clients to treat depression and anxiety in a multifaceted way such as by increasing physical activity, engaging in previously enjoyable activities on a daily basis, getting proper sleep and nutrition but also by taking their prescription antidepressants every day at approximately the same time.

*Edited to add*

Antidepressants and other psychopharmaceuticals are not an exact science. Not everyone responds to each medication in the same one. It takes a while to find the right medication and then it takes a while to find the right dose that works best for you.

There are medical conditions that have depression like symptoms that can be treated by adding in other means...Seasonal Affective Disorder can often be treated by adding in a high dose of vitamin D. Hypothyroidism can sometimes have depression like symptoms that go away when the thyroid levels are back in normal range. This is why it is so important to find a good doctor and therapist and work together as a team.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Oh I see, so this is one of those threads where no one understands how CICO truly works except the OP right?

Someones written a book about it so it has to be true ;)

Yeah, someone selling a book doesn't have a vested interest.
    http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/how-to-create-a-fad-diet/
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    science of fat loss = figure out the CI and CO side of CICO and eat to that number. Do we really need a book on it?
  • exstromn
    exstromn Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you found something that works for you, thanks for sharing. As for the nay sayers with snarky comments you can pretend you know everyting there is to know but the truth is we are all on our own path. Safe journey to you all.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    exstromn wrote: »
    I'm glad you found something that works for you, thanks for sharing. As for the nay sayers with snarky comments you can pretend you know everyting there is to know but the truth is we are all on our own path. Safe journey to you all.

We're all on our own path, but we don't all get our own set of facts.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    book_habits.jpg

EL OH EL.

The toxins give you teh fatz. Pseudoscience at its worst.