How in the world do I pick a protein powder??

Options

Replies

• MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Base it first off price and pick a flavor you'll like. I have never had hemp protein, but I imagine it is overpriced for no real benefit and exceptionally gross. Whey is generally your best bet.

It is just fine to have protein powder more than once a day like you asked about.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

I was interested when I saw NOW on that list, but a lot of people in the reviews complain that it smells rancid. That's the issue I have to work around. I am supposed to be on protein supplement of some sort due to absorption issues. Several times I've been required in the hospital to drink them, and I cannot get past the smell. Even being around someone drinking Slim Fast is enough to turn my stomach.

I have a feeling the answer will be no, but is there such a thing as a protein powder that doesn't smell like protein powder?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Hemp is plant based protein, i think it is better, i don`t do protein powders because i don`t think they work that much. protein repairs muscle tissue after exercising, repairs and regenerates cells and there growth, provides the body structure through cells, replaces tissues in the body, protein is required for the enzymes in the body to carry out their role, a bit of it used in energy metabolism and it is involves in many other things with bodily function. it is also important to know that your body recycles the non-essential amino acids.
    The human body needs 20 amino acids (these make up protein) and the human body creates 12 of them and other 8 are essential so they come from animal and plant sources.
    My advice is to use precision engineered Amino 1500, they are cheaper as well.
    The best non meat source of amino acids is full fat cows milk and full fat goats milk plus soya milk. Soya bread is a great source of protein as well. drink a few glasses of milk about 10 minutes after a work out.
    Hemp is plant based and the rest of it is science fact.

The most adorable part of your post is that you rant away about the essential amino acids but hemp is poor when it comes to 5 of the 8 and what's even worse is the Lucine is 1 of those. And Lucine is pretty much the king. Which makes hemp the Jester.

I just came back to mention, that proteins are valued by the Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score (PDCAAS). It is a method of evaluating protein quality based on the amino acid requirements of humans and their ability to digest said protein.

There are also a few other methods like i suggested in my first comment such as Biological Availability and also Protein Efficiency Ratio.

Either way, on all methods the measurement shows that the following have the highest scores as far as availability, quality, amino acid content, etc.

Below is a short guide:
    FYI- PDCAAS are scored as 1.00 (meaning fully digestible and all essential amino acids) and down.

PDCAAS of Whey Protein= 1.00
    PDCAAS of Egg White Protein= 1.00
    PDCAAS of Casein Protein= 1.00
    PDCAAS of Pea Protein=0.69
    PDCAAS of Hemp Protein=0.46

Here is a study on the pdcaas of Hemp for reference.

• erinelizabeth882
    erinelizabeth882 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

Thank you all for all of your suggestions and patience. I got out to Walmart today and picked out six star protein whey isolate. I made it after my workout today by blending it in my magic bullet with a couple ice cubes and a cup of almond milk. It had a fine taste and texture, but I found that it left me with a bit of a grainy texture in my throat that left me coughing frequently. Is this throat "after-texture" common and just something to get used to, or should I be able to find something that doesn't have this effect?

Thanks!
    Erin
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hello all,

Thank you all for all of your suggestions and patience. I got out to Walmart today and picked out six star protein whey isolate. I made it after my workout today by blending it in my magic bullet with a couple ice cubes and a cup of almond milk. It had a fine taste and texture, but I found that it left me with a bit of a grainy texture in my throat that left me coughing frequently. Is this throat "after-texture" common and just something to get used to, or should I be able to find something that doesn't have this effect?

Thanks!
    Erin

Hey Erin!

I know that feeling, and it sucks! There are definitely protein powders out there that dont have the grainy or chalky texture. :) It may just be the protein powder you bought.

To check and make sure it's the protein powder i would suggest you just use almond milk and protein powder without the ice. If it still has that texture, it's the protein powder itself.

You can also try and pick up a premade protein drink (my favorite is the 100 calorie ready-to-drink Muscle Milk Light in Chocolate flavor). If you think the premade one doesn't have that texture, then you can get a better idea of how they can taste.

You might just not like protein powder in general. :wink:
  • beachlandia
    beachlandia Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I just tried Orgain creamy chocolate fudge protein powder and thought it was really good. I've tried a few others in the past (all chocolate flavored, haha) and I think I'm sticking with this one. It's plant based (I can have whey protein but I wanted to try something new) so if anyone is vegan I recommend it.
  • loisseau
    loisseau Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Food.

If I was forced to pick a powder it would be Whey ON Standard Gold.

Something for you to read:

http://www.nutribodyprotein.com/protein-types.php

Good choice
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I do what I always do - get Trader Joe's brand :)
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

Thanks!
    Erin

Yes, right next to is at Walmart is Body Fortress Whey Isolate which does not have a grainy texture and has the same amount of protein numbers as the six star one. I have the six star version in the pantry for emergency use if/when i run out of body fortress.
  • marisa28a
    marisa28a Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I never knew there was so many protein choices out there! I just buy a bag if Progenex from my crossfit box and use that. Seems good, anyone else use it? For two scoops it has 170 calories, 31g protein, and 5g sugar

5ar9astyxtrs.jpg

It costs $73 bucks a bag

• singingqt6675
    Options
    If you're going to go for a protein bar. IMO you can't beat Quest bars. If I need a sweet fix I'll have a chocolate brownie quest bar, microwaved for 9 seconds.

Quest bars are such a great fix for those sugar cravings!!!! I love them :)
    Also not too many carbs and great amounts of protein perfect snack or even breakfast!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Wow, $73 a bag??? Please stop giving them free money.

My 1.2kg tub of protein powder is $79. That's the average price here unfortunately :disappointed:

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    EAS complete nutrition. It's whey protein based. Available at Target, NCAA athletes are allowed to.use it. $17ish $ for 2 lbs.
  • julieager75
    julieager75 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    foursirius wrote: »
    Optimum Gold standard 100 whey. It is the most generic higher quality stuff out there.[/quote

This is what I use and get it from bodybuilding.com. They have sales sometimes and you can get it fairly cheap and it also comes very quickly. My husband and I get the 5 lb container and there are a lot of flavor choices that are actually pretty yummy :)
  • julieager75
    julieager75 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    foursirius wrote: »
    Optimum Gold standard 100 whey. It is the most generic higher quality stuff out there.[/quote

This is what I use and get it from bodybuilding.com. They have sales sometimes and you can get it fairly cheap and it also comes very quickly. My husband and I get the 5 lb container and there are a lot of flavor choices that are actually pretty yummy :)
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Real food > protein powders. If you're struggling with your protein and fiber goals, you might be missing out on other nutrients that high protein/high fiber foods would provide. Additionally, there's limited research on just how much protein absorption happens with supplements vs real foods. Finally, protein powders are considered supplements and are largely unregulated by the FDA. Some have "USDA Approved" or something similar, but they're not tested/ monitored by the FDA. They are frequently recalled for contaminants, undeclared ingredients, and unrepresentative packaging.

I told my husband to buy any supplement he wanted that was at least 2 years old and didn't have a recall on it. He couldn't find one.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    OP - I scanned through your Diary. And a few things caught my attention. First, it looks like you are aiming for 1200 calories per day. I am guessing you are on the shorter side with being 130 and trying to get down to 115. But please reevaluate your calorie intake and deficit amount. Do you know how much protein you should be consuming? You seem to be fairly active and if you aren't trying to body build you would probably be good on 90-110g a day. You really aren't that far off most days. It looks like adding in an extra serving of chicken, turkey or fish could easily help you reach that goal. You tend to have some calories left over and are missing a solid serving of protein each day. For example 2oz of tuna is 70 calories for 16g protein. Just things to think about.

As far as protein powders go, Vega products rock...however I don't like the taste of their proteins (I use other products from them) and they are expensive lol. I found Biochem 100% whey protein, the ingredients list is super short and only has one item in it I'm not fond of. I get the natural flavor and don't taste it in green smoothies or even just mixed up in almond milk with just a shaker bottle. 90 calories, 20g protein. Haven't found anything better. I also keep some quest bars around for the days I just can't eat more chicken or fish. Those are 180 calories for 20g protein.