Low carb help!!

Options
Hi all! So I'm looking for some low carb pointers and ideas! What's your go to substitutes in place of carbs? Any tips will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advanced!!

Replies

• liz89118
    liz89118 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just started low carb myself I hope to do it for a month to help with my sugar cravings, I'm trying to eat clean and low carb and I'm finding it not easy. Today so far I had a chicken patty from trader joes - clean but tons of sodium and for breakfast egg white salad from trader joes not clean but low carb.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I'm not low carb myself (no medical issues).

But in the past I attempted it.....lots of non-starchy veggies and higher fat everything. Start with a protein, add veggies. Cheese & other dairy in moderation.
  • dandydan99
    dandydan99 Posts: 10 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thin, lightly salted, rice cakes. Use them instead of bread.

I also think carbs from fruits/legumes/veggies are ok in moderation.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Substitutes for carbs would be protein and fat.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Making fat bombs :p and paleo pancakes and tortillas! Yumm. Zevia soda for soda lovers. Cottage cheese and salsa with avacado. Etc.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Why not carbs?
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Hi!!
    To answer your question, I keep my net carbs low(trying to keep it at 20-49g NET carbs) right now,for weight loss purposes. I don't feel deprived one bit! Loads of veggies every day in stir fries, smoothies and salads.
    I do want some carbs, and a nice dose comes from lentils and beans.
    At first this may seem hard, but after a week or so, cravings for extra carbs goes away.

I did cut out fruit, just for a little while (for a few weeks). So I get a sweet taste from stevia in tea or in a smoothie, or from dark chocolate.

Also fresh mint or vanilla extract add a sweetness to things like chia pudding or smoothies.
  • jetsman32
    jetsman32 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have been on a low carb high fat diet for 3 months and lost 30lbs so far. Try to eat a lot of fat- it is good for you! I eat 15% of my calories from carbs, 20% from protein and 65% from fat. It will be hard to relearn that fat is your new fuel but you will see big results. Google LCHF to learn more!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    CICO15 wrote: »
    jetsman32 wrote: »
    I have been on a low carb high fat diet for 3 months and lost 30lbs so far. Try to eat a lot of fat- it is good for you! I eat 15% of my calories from carbs, 20% from protein and 65% from fat. It will be hard to relearn that fat is your new fuel but you will see big results. Google LCHF to learn more!

This is the wave of the future. Diet and nutrition books are dominated by LCHF. Congratulations on your results!

Not with the emerging gut microbiome research. Oh look prettykitty15 is back with another alt account.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Please join your fellow low carbers in the MFP group, The Low Carber Daily Forum: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group. There are many helpful and friendly people who hang out there who love to discuss all things low carb!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

This is the wave of the future. Diet and nutrition books are dominated by LCHF. Congratulations on your results!
    Wave of the future?? Ummm right.

There is something called Amazon. Look up high-fat, low-carb diet. See what's selling. Stop denying reality. 20 years ago low-fat diets were the rage. Now you can't give those books away.

*shrug* and in 5 or 10 years the same thing will be true of Atkins and Paleo, etc.

In fact, carb-phobia is already yesterday's news. Right now, fasting is where it's at.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

There is something called Amazon. Look up high-fat, low-carb diet. See what's selling. Stop denying reality. 20 years ago low-fat diets were the rage. Now you can't give those books away.

*shrug* and in 5 or 10 years the same thing will be true of Atkins and Paleo, etc.

In fact, carb-phobia is already yesterday's news. Right now, fasting is where it's at.

Actually, blaming stress and cortisol for lack of weight loss and gaining a ton of weight while still dismissing CICO is the new thing, just ask Jimmy moore
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

Actually, blaming stress and cortisol for lack of weight loss and gaining a ton of weight while still dismissing CICO is the new thing, just ask Jimmy moore

Man, I feel so old and behind the times now with my 5:2 diet barely started. *sigh*