Help! Decided to go vegetarian but my husband hates veggies!

Options

Replies

• dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Just curious what your reasoning is to become vegetarian? I'm guessing it's ethical. Do you have a problem with him eating meat on a moral basis?

^This. If your issue is morality, then this isn't the forum for an answer to your question. If it isn't a moral issue, then have him make his own food. There is no reason he needs to follow your dietary choices.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Ditto on pre-cooking and marinating meats that he can heat up and eat along with you. I was a vegetarian while my husband wasn't for the first half of our marriage (ironically, I now eat more meat than he does) and I typically just kept some prepped ground beef, marinated chicken, beef cubes, etc in the freezer and reheated something he could eat on top of or next to whatever meal I made. That said, he's also pretty adventurous and was tolerant of my tofu pepper steak and lentil loaf :)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Just because you decided to dramatically change your diet doesn't mean he has to. It's pretty unfair to expect him to jump onto the wagon and change with you. Time for a talk about how you two will work it out. It may mean that he cooks some of his own food, but you should both learn to be supportive of the other despite your new dietary differences (meaning it shouldn't add that much effort for you to cook up some meat for him while you are making dinner). I cook up two meals at my house sometimes (chicken for the kids and fish for me) with the side dishes being the same for everyone.

"Women enter into relationships thinking men can change and men enter into relationships thinking women will never change."
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Just because you decided to dramatically change your diet doesn't mean he has to. It's pretty unfair to expect him to jump onto the wagon and change with you. Time for a talk about how you two will work it out. It may mean that he cooks some of his own food, but you should both learn to be supportive of the other despite your new dietary differences (meaning it shouldn't add that much effort for you to cook up some meat for him while you are making dinner). I cook up two meals at my house sometimes (chicken for the kids and fish for me) with the side dishes being the same for everyone.

"Women enter into relationships thinking men can change and men enter into relationships thinking women will never change."

nods nods nods nods
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

^^^ This !

To some of the other comments: I'm sorry I don't agree with the whole well he can cook his own meals. If I cook every night and my husband doesn't and I decide to do a drastic diet change, why should I expect him to want the same? Why should it be well this is what I'm going to do or cook yourself? That's unreasonable in my opinion. It would be different if he never liked anything I cooked or complained constantly but to make such a change for a person who does like meat is unrealistic to me.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    As other people have asked, is the issue that you are expected to prepare his meals or is the issue that you want him to also give up meat?

I am vegan and my husband is an omnivore. If he prepares something that is free of animal products and it looks good to me, I will share his dinner. If I make something that looks good to him, he will eat it. Otherwise, we prepare our own meals. Is you preparing his meals one of the expectations of your relationship?
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options

It's also pretty unfair to make a life-altering decision for both of you and then say, "oh well, eat what I make or learn to cook your own meals." Heck, it was YOUR decision. YOU made the decision to change, so the onus for making additional meals falls on YOU, not on him. FTR, eating vegetarian is no healthier for you than eating an omnivorous diet and it helps not one. single. animal.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would not make my husband adhere to MY food choices, no matter what they are- just as he does not expect ME to eat the weird crap he eats (he's japanese).

Since I am the family cook, if I want something different than what *everyone else* is having, I prepare my meal separately. I would not ask, nor expect him to make his own dinner because I don't want to cook it.
  • N8ilm
    N8ilm Posts: 5 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    How about not forcing him to be a vegetarian? Like many said, it's not any healthier.
    It sounds like you're the main cook in the house, it's pretty screwed up to stop preparing meals for the both of you just because you hopped on the veggie wagon.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    A good friend of mine is a veggie, and her husband is far from it. Years ago she decided that food was just something they'd have to make on their own. They don't eat at home much and when they do they tend to find a way to make the meals something they both like. Like, they make pizza, he has his half, she has hers.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    So I've recently made the decision to go vegetarian. It is something that I've been wanting to do for a while and finally made the move. My problem is that my husband hates most vegetables, especially cooked ones. This makes dinner at home pretty difficult. He does like some things: broccoli, carrots, green beans, asparagus, corn, and potatoes - but that's about it. He doesn't like tofu, any type of beans (except green beans), and most nuts. I'm looking for suggestions for vegetarian meals that he might actually like. Please help! Making separate dinners is fine sometimes, but I have a feeling that it's going to get old pretty quick...

Pasta dishes
    Breakfast for dinner- Pancakes, French toast, eggs, oatmeal
    Vegetable soups- tomato, broccoli, potato
    grilled cheese sandwich or quesadilla... add meat to his if he wants it.
    Top your own personal pizza
    Salad- each put in what you like
    Stuffed baked potatoes, Greek potatoes, potato casseroles
    Vegetable stir fry, vegetable egg rolls, rice
    Lentils? Not sure if those are included in the no beans.

• besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    FTR, [sic] and it helps not one. single. animal.

lol, the most dumbed down rational to continue to eat animals. doesn't help animals, ha ha.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegetarian but I am the only low carber in a household of four. What I do is make a protein, a starch, and a low carb veggie or two. Perhaps you could do the same, but backward. Make the veggie the main dish, like the stir fry mentioned above, add your starch if you want or need it, and make or have him make his meat. I see no reason why you can't have tofu with rice or a potato on the same nights he has steak with the same sides. I've done that myself. Or keep cans of beans on hand for fast protein on busy days. It takes some getting used to, but it gets easier with time. Good luck to you!
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I have no clue what reason you have for becoming vegetarian or what you hope to accomplish, but other than that, I agree with this;
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    I don't have anything particularly helpful to say except to tell him that if he doesn't eat what you've prepared for dinner, he's on his own.

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    What are you eating now? Can you just continue the same and modify your meals to omit or substitute the meat for other items?
  • doodoomonsterpie
    Options
    I say, before you fully dedicate yourself, give it a test run. Or maybe be a vegetarian every other week?
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    besaro wrote: »

lol, the most dumbed down rational to continue to eat animals. doesn't help animals, ha ha.

Why the [sic], since it's an accepted abbreviation for "for the record?" [sic] is used to identify an error that someone else has made, which now appears in a quote.

As to being a "dumbed down" argument . . . well . . . yeah. The "ethical" argument that going vegetarian/vegan helps animals is pretty ridiculous, when you come right down to it. Want to help animals? Make their living conditions better. Ensure quick, safe slaughter that is as painless as possible. For Heaven's sake, raise your own if you're that concerned about the living conditions. However, veganism/vegetarianism is about control over what you eat and what others eat and has nothing to do with making one animal the slightest bit more comfortable.

If the OP wants to eat vegetarian meals, that is fine. She should not expect her husband to follow suit or try to "trick" him into eating vegetarian meals. She should not expect him to cook for himself based on her decision, if she has previously done the cooking for the family. I think the idea of her cooking meals to which meat can be added last is a good idea, though, and having their own halves of a pizza or similar meals is probably fine.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    besaro wrote: »

ironic post is ironic

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I don't see why he needs to eat vegetables because you are a vegetarian. Assuming you have no moral objection to eating meat, cook the meat, cook the vegetables, cook whatever else is in the meal, and then each person eats what they want. This is what we do all the time at my house. My husband just passes on the veggies, I usually pass on the rice, my daughter passes on whatever she doesn't want. Assuming you aren't an all-casserole family it's not difficult to manage.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    I don't have anything particularly helpful to say except to tell him that if he doesn't eat what you've prepared for dinner, he's on his own.

What @BinkyBonk said...my boyfriend and I will typically make our own meals but I always ask if he'd like some of what I'm making and if he wants to, he just adds meat to his portion. That being said, here's an awesome recipe that my boyfriend loves just as much as I do. I make this at least 1/week and I feel that it makes 6 portions, not the 4 the recipe says so it comes in at about 350 calories/serving.

http://vegangela.com/2013/11/19/quick-easy-indian-curry-quinoa/