Any girls here that are trying to gain weight?

Options

Replies

• eaweide
    eaweide Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and 120lbs. I want to gain 5-10lbs of muscle and am currently doing to New Rules of Lifting for Women program and LOVE IT!
  • eaweide
    eaweide Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I won't ever say that I eat healthy 100% of the time. I try for 80/20. But the unhealthy foods many of you are saying you eat in order to reach your calorie goals is making feel like you don't really care about being healthy. What is going on here? I'm very confused. You can gain muscle while eating healthy foods. I guess the "IIFYM, eat anything you want," is real. Hmmmm...
  • MissMary75044
    MissMary75044 Posts: 517 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    eaweide wrote: »
    I won't ever say that I eat healthy 100% of the time. I try for 80/20. But the unhealthy foods many of you are saying you eat in order to reach your calorie goals is making feel like you don't really care about being healthy. What is going on here? I'm very confused. You can gain muscle while eating healthy foods. I guess the "IIFYM, eat anything you want," is real. Hmmmm...

It can be done, but for very high caloric goals it can be a bit difficult. My daily caloric goal is about 2,600. That would be about 900 calories per a meal, or less to included snacking. Thus far today I've had oatmeal, kefir, coffee, 1 banana, a protein shake, 2 protein bars, 1 Ensure Plus, 1 soda, 10 chicken nuggets, and half an order of medium fries. Even after that still had a 150 calorie deficit because I burned almost 300 at work.

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options

No. No. No.
    It's very important to hit calorie goals for these people, by any means necessary. Unhealthy is being underweight and phobic about 'healthy' foods.

You don't get extra points for eating OVER your nutrition needs. Once you've hit your protein, vitamin and good fats target fill the rest with whatever it takes.

Many of us here with incredible bodies and good blood work, healthy blood pressure are made of ice cream, bagels, pizza, chicken, greek yoghurt, fruit, veg, steak, booze, cake chocolate etc etc. IN THE RIGHT PROPORTIONS.

There's no such thing as bad food, just bad diets.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

IIFYM is not "eat anything you want" That is a straw man argument.

IIFYM is about hitting your macros minimums of fat/protein/carbs and then filling the rest with what you want, and also making sure that you hit micros.

Adding muscle is all about hitting macros and calories. Yes, you can bulk on chicken/rice/fish/vegetables, but good luck getting in 3000 + calories doing that. What we are saying is eat nutrient dense foods like chicken/vegetables/rice/ but then also fill in the rest of your day with ice cream, cookies, bagels, etc.

What matters is the overall diet and dosage of said foods in the context of hitting micro/macro/calorie targets. not some arbitrary "unhealthy" foods that no one consumes in a vacuum.

Please list these "unhealthy foods that we are advocating?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

I'm not sure who is saying that. And no, IIFYM does not mean eat anything you want. If you can't keep up your surplus, you will not gain. These "unhealthy foods" as you call them helped me reach my goal of 3K+ everyday when I was bulking. Without them I would be struggling to eat everyday and hating food, feeling full and hopeless. If I already ate enough nuts, eggs, beans and veggies for the day, there is absolutely nothing wrong with adding some ice cream, cookies and cake to hit my goal.

Listen to @Springfield1970 @ndj1979 ... they know what they are talking about
  • asmawakeel
    Options
    I am trying to gain weight, I am 5'4 and and currently about 103lbs, making my BMI 17.7. I've been trying to gain weight for months now and I go up to 107 and then lost my gains. I am on my feet all day at work and often don't have time to eat a real meal. I typically walk about 5 miles a day at work, burning 250-300 calories. It's just been a struggle to compensate for the calories I lose and add more on top of that to gain. I've been drinking Ensure Plus for three weeks without much luck. Ideally I would like to gain about 15lbs, but I can't even gain 5lbs.

Hi dear,

Have a diet chart first of all and then stick to it. Keep high calorie food in your diet. Eating big is not the key, eating right is the key to gain weight as per my understanding during this journey of weight gain. Ensure is a good thing to have but have 2 scoops of ensure in milk daily. Not in the water. Do not walk much and if you do so, again consume some high calorie food.

Best of luck!
  • HealthCareUfu
    HealthCareUfu Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yup I've been skinny/underweight all my life (genetics):/ but now I'm trying to gain 10-15lbs to be at 130lbs. I'm currently 5ft7 115lbs bmi 17.6
  • MissMary75044
    Options
    asmawakeel wrote: »
    I am trying to gain weight, I am 5'4 and and currently about 103lbs, making my BMI 17.7. I've been trying to gain weight for months now and I go up to 107 and then lost my gains. I am on my feet all day at work and often don't have time to eat a real meal. I typically walk about 5 miles a day at work, burning 250-300 calories. It's just been a struggle to compensate for the calories I lose and add more on top of that to gain. I've been drinking Ensure Plus for three weeks without much luck. Ideally I would like to gain about 15lbs, but I can't even gain 5lbs.

Hi dear,

Have a diet chart first of all and then stick to it. Keep high calorie food in your diet. Eating big is not the key, eating right is the key to gain weight as per my understanding during this journey of weight gain. Ensure is a good thing to have but have 2 scoops of ensure in milk daily. Not in the water. Do not walk much and if you do so, again consume some high calorie food.

Best of luck!

Thank You!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    asmawakeel wrote: »

Hi dear,

Best of luck!

ummm you need to eat big to you know, gain weight and stuff…

in a bulk calories are king…

so please stop with this "the right calories nonsense"
  • nvbuney
    nvbuney Posts: 1
    Options
    Just got this app today, I'm in the same boat as all you ladies. Trying to gain some weight.
  • fightingwombats
    fightingwombats Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Me too! Trying to get some muscle built up!
  • MissMary75044
    Options
    I've had fast food twice in one week for the first time in over 15 years. I did make my calorie goal for the day, mainly because my lunch was around 1000 calories. My breakfast was almost non existent though, got called into work early and didn't have time to really eat.
  • PetiteMuscle89
    PetiteMuscle89 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes ma'am. My goal is a lean 130lbs :) its going to be epic.
  • jborin22
    jborin22 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am! I have always been petite. I know nothing is wrong with my body but I have fallen in love with the look of muscle! I want to do a figure competition in a few years! So I'm trying to gain weight too:) it's taken me 3 years to even get where I am today at 125lbs!:) I'm on insta too : jessica.borin
  • goosebeartalk
    goosebeartalk Posts: 39 Member
    Options

Yeah, I'm a runner but I'm trying to build muscle mass to strengthen my core and arms.

My main reason is I run college cross country and track.

Me too. Not for college but I run 25-40 miles per week. I've tried eating almost 4,000 calories a day, changed my macros to 60carbs/20fats/20proteins but I'm still losing. I would like to put the brakes on losing weight & I would like to gain some back-- but I'm not willing to slow down my activity. What have y'all done that works for you?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Yeah, I'm a runner but I'm trying to build muscle mass to strengthen my core and arms.

My main reason is I run college cross country and track.

Me too. Not for college but I run 25-40 miles per week. I've tried eating almost 4,000 calories a day, changed my macros to 60carbs/20fats/20proteins but I'm still losing. I would like to put the brakes on losing weight & I would like to gain some back-- but I'm not willing to slow down my activity. What have y'all done that works for you?
    eat more.
    do less cardio.
  • ruddhl7933
    Options
    Net Calories? ?? I'm still baffled by this. ..my goal is 2600 per day...my Fitbit is synced up and says I burned 2000 calories today. So I need to consume 4600 calories in a day? ???? I don't see how that possible. I am not doing that much cardio...mainly weight training. I do a 15 minute HIIT or jump rope to warm up or maybe some sprints and run a 5k once or twice a week. The rest of y he time is spent lifting. So what's the word folks? Advice appreciated
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I gained back to my goal a few months ago and still struggle with backsliding...
  • MissMary75044
    Options
    I'm really struggling to make my calorie goal for today. I'm over 600 calories short and I am absolutely stuffed. For dinner I ate to crab cakes fried in butter, and 2oz of Atlantic Salmon, then had an Ensure Plus. I've consumed 2300 calories today, but burned off 300.