The truth about "I still eat the foods I love"

Options

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    I don't think it's always couched with "In moderation" or "just less of them" or "and then I adjust my activity level or other meals" or "in the same amount but less frequently". Those are all very important qualifiers.

"Don't give up your favorite foods! Just eat them in moderation, pay attention to your serving sizes, move more, and also treat yourself to a donut after you pulled 400 lbs. on a deadlift" is misleading. It's not as easy as all that; that's what most people seem to struggle with. So if it's easier to bail on ice cream than it is to figure out how to work it into your macros... then bail on ice cream!

How to work something into calories/macros:

1) look at how many calories you have left
    2) See if you've met your protein and fat minimums, or whether you are fat off from them. I only check if I've met protein needs.
    3) Search for desired food
    4) Log default serving size
    5) Adjust serving size quantity until it fits into your calories, then eat said serving size. This may mean only eating half that donut or you could eat the whole thing. Who knows.

Pre-logging is great for this. I log all my meals/snacks in the AM. Then, during the day if I really want something, like a piece of chocolate, I see what I can swap out without getting below my minimum protein goal (110g).

So, today, I have yogurt and cranberries remaining for snack. That's 200 calories. But, there's cookies here. I want one. I'll probably make the trade, since I have plenty of protein, and I'll still be in my calorie goal. But, that also means that I can't eat 3 cookies because I can't keep swapping out my original plan. LOL.

I generally don't even pre-log, unless I'm strapped for time or stressed about school etc, it just makes it easier to grab food and go. Or if I'm planning dinner on my way home. But otherwise I freestyle it, but if I'm going to include a calorie-dense item into my evening consumption when I only have say... 300 calories left, I'm not just going to eat it and then log it, I'll log it and see how much of it I can fit in and see whether the amount is worth it to me. Sometimes it's not, other times it totally is, even if it's half a muffin! But if it's NOT worth it then I just log other delicious things instead that fit my goals and my taste buds in that moment.

Although last night I DID pre-log most of my evening intake because I was cramming in a final paper, and I decided to make PB cookies (because, you know, it helps with paper-writing?). Ended up swapping out some food so I could fit in a 2nd cookie, then swapped out more food to fit in a third LOL. But I hit my protein needs so I was totally cool with it.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

How funny, I do that all the time. I LOVE ground beef on top of salad, in various "recipes" - bolognese, Mexican-style and so on.

My husband thinks I'm insane.

My fav salad is topped with a buger patty and plenty of ketchup & mustard. Yum!
  • ana3067
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    BFDeal wrote: »
    This pretty much echoes my feelings but you do have to keep in mind the different calorie goals people have. It's definitely eye roll inducing to hear someone bragging about how they eat ice cream every day only to see they're putting down a whopping 3 spoonfuls in the middle of the 1600 calories they're allotted. On the flip side of that you do have people who are really eating a pint of ice cream after a half of a pizza because they're bulking or they have a job that requires they walk 9 million miles a day on top of the 2 hours they work out each day. The real takeaway is don't put so much stock in other people. Mostly because people are crap but also because you have to do what works for you because that's all that really matters.

You're still here?

Stating that one eats x and y within their calories isn't bragging. Doesn't matter if their goal is 1500 calories or 3000 calories.

You really need to stop complaining about this subject ad nauseam.

It's kind of bragging. It usually follows someone saying how they gave up something and it helped them. Right off the bat you'll get 10 "but I eat X and Y daily!!!!!!" OK. So? Good for you that you want to squeeze in .3454545 nano liters of ice cream a day but to some people it's not even worth it. It's basically people wanting to brag about how wild and free they are with their food when really they're almost insanely controlled with it.

You are reading into what is said and filtering it with your own personal struggles. People are not bragging about being wild and free, they are saying that through being controlled with intake they still fit what they enjoy in.

Exactly. I don't think anyone here is saying it's easy. It takes a lot of thought to practice moderation.

No, actually there is one guy who is like, "I eat a pint of gelato every day, nah nah nah." LOL He is clearly bragging.
    And in which threads does this occur? I've never once seen someone taunt or use such language when sharing that they consume calorie-dense foods. At most, people will be gleeful with each other about it.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    This pretty much echoes my feelings but you do have to keep in mind the different calorie goals people have. It's definitely eye roll inducing to hear someone bragging about how they eat ice cream every day only to see they're putting down a whopping 3 spoonfuls in the middle of the 1600 calories they're allotted. On the flip side of that you do have people who are really eating a pint of ice cream after a half of a pizza because they're bulking or they have a job that requires they walk 9 million miles a day on top of the 2 hours they work out each day. The real takeaway is don't put so much stock in other people. Mostly because people are crap but also because you have to do what works for you because that's all that really matters.

You're still here?

Stating that one eats x and y within their calories isn't bragging. Doesn't matter if their goal is 1500 calories or 3000 calories.

It's kind of bragging. It usually follows someone saying how they gave up something and it helped them. Right off the bat you'll get 10 "but I eat X and Y daily!!!!!!" OK. So? Good for you that you want to squeeze in .3454545 nano liters of ice cream a day but to some people it's not even worth it. It's basically people wanting to brag about how wild and free they are with their food when really they're almost insanely controlled with it.

You are reading into what is said and filtering it with your own personal struggles. People are not bragging about being wild and free, they are saying that through being controlled with intake they still fit what they enjoy in.

Exactly. I don't think anyone here is saying it's easy. It takes a lot of thought to practice moderation.

No, actually there is one guy who is like, "I eat a pint of gelato every day, nah nah nah." LOL He is clearly bragging.

Is he bulking? Working out for hours? On his feet all day?

Not bulking. As far as his activity level, I have no idea.

And that right there is the problem with people who get annoyed by those who say they can eat what they want. Everything happens in context. If the dude is burning a ton of calories every day through work and exercise he CAN have a pint of ice cream. Good for him.

• ana3067
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    If a small serving of ice cream isn't "worth it," then you need to evaluate why you'd consider a "food you love."

Honestly, if you need a full pint to feel like you got your ice cream on, you might be either buying crappy ice cream or eating too fast. Or maybe you just don't like ice cream as much as you think you do. Everyone needs to examine his or her own TRUE preferences and loves. Shoving food in your face without thinking about it isn't a love, it's a bad habit. When you break down tasty treats into proper portion sizes, it doesn't take that much to fit them into even a fairly low calorie limit. (I was eating premium gelato every night when I was at 1300, and I didn't have to starve myself all day to do it.) And, if you take the time to enjoy your treats, they will satisfy you.

^^This. Seriously.

And considering that, in my experience, most ice cream is ~160 calories per serving, its really not that hard to fit it in.
    Most Ben & Jerry's seem to be 250+ a serving. I get fitting in a serving is possible I just don't think one single serving is a practical size for a normal human. It's like 3 bites.

66g is a pretty good serving or ice cream. Can take me 10 minutes to finish it.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

You're still here?

And in which threads does this occur? I've never once seen someone taunt or use such language when sharing that they consume calorie-dense foods. At most, people will be gleeful with each other about it.

I added the "nah, nah, nah" for effect. LOL The guy is an overall jerk. I'm not going to call him out here, though.
  • ana3067
    Options
    P3100726.jpg
    Here we go. A regular size pint next time a "serving" of Ben & Jerry's. Sad small container is sad.

The listed serving size here is larger than the typical serving size for my Breyer's ice cream, which I consider to be a fairly reasonable and enjoyable serving size. It's also lower in calorie than my Breyer's.

So................ why complain.
  • fatcity66
    Options

You're still here?

And that right there is the problem with people who get annoyed by those who say they can eat what they want. Everything happens in context. If the dude is burning a ton of calories every day through work and exercise he CAN have a pint of ice cream. Good for him.

Yeah, good for him. No need for him to rub it in, though.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Supplies-Needed.jpg
    Here we go. A picture of one of the single servings beside a spoon. LOL tell me that's more than 4 spoonfuls. If you think it is you're drinking the Kool-aid a bit. Again, not that it's wrong to resign yourself to only eat that. That's not what I'm saying. My argument is that talking about it in a way that seems bragging is silly.

your pictures are not showing up ...

• ana3067
    Options
    freeoscar wrote: »
    NOne of this is sacrifice, just eating reasonable portions. Should I go on to talk about how I do this with chicken, salmon, rice, fruits, veggies, oil, etc?

perhaps sacrifice is too strong a word, but it's clearly a measured change. If it weren't you wouldn't have had to make the changes to begin with, as you would have been doing this all along.
    My point of this post was that 1) It is necessary to add the modifier 'in moderation' when one says they still eat all the foods they like and more importantly 2) give some examples of what 'moderation' means to you, so that others on or beginning this change in their eating habits has an idea of what normal is (and what abnormal was).

And yet the change took virtually no effort. Once I stopped looking at food as being "bad," the only effort that was required was logging the portion before eating it.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Supplies-Needed.jpg
    Here we go. A picture of one of the single servings beside a spoon. LOL tell me that's more than 4 spoonfuls. If you think it is you're drinking the Kool-aid a bit. Again, not that it's wrong to resign yourself to only eat that. That's not what I'm saying. My argument is that talking about it in a way that seems bragging is silly.

And that container of ice cream is under 200 calories (190 per Edy's website). Wouldn't be that tough to fit in every single day if you wanted. And **I** would be satisfied by it.

If you want to eat ice cream, you really have two choices*:
    1. eat a little bit every day
    2. save up your calories over the week and splurge with a gigantic serving on the weekend

*adjust as necessary to fit your ice cream goals

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

You're still here?

So, I don't know who you are referring to, but I haven't seen anyone rub it in, in such a way that should cause animosity. I'd have to see the posts, but I think some of the reason why it's having such an impact is jealousy.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Im cracking up over the argument on ice cream serving size and issue with it. Im a Ben and Jerrys girl here, and can say that half a cup is *not* three spoon fulls. I mean, if I was doing a dare for money or something, I might be able to shovel it down in three bites, but even then... Ben & Jerrys ice cream is both very firm, and also tends to be super chunky with chocolate bits and nuts and such. Id choke before I could collect my winnings LoL I dont *need* to eat 2 cups of ice cream to feel satisfied...half a cup is plenty enough, and I enjoy it so for me its worth it.

If you are a volume eater and cant be satisfied with having a bit of something, then understand, that doesnt mean being a volume eater is the *normal* way and no one on earth would be able to eat regular sized portions... Just accept that what you enjoy is the full plate / full bowl more so than the actual flavour. Theres a lot of low fat / low sugar / diet options etc, it wont have the full flavour but it will have way less calories so that you can satisfy your desire to eat more of it. Theres something for everyone.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Supplies-Needed.jpg

This looks like a good and enjoyable serving size and is plenty enough. It's literally 8 spoons by the way, but we usually eat ice cream with a teaspoon so mileage may vary.
  • fatcity66
    Options
    freeoscar wrote: »
    NOne of this is sacrifice, just eating reasonable portions. Should I go on to talk about how I do this with chicken, salmon, rice, fruits, veggies, oil, etc?

perhaps sacrifice is too strong a word, but it's clearly a measured change. If it weren't you wouldn't have had to make the changes to begin with, as you would have been doing this all along.
    My point of this post was that 1) It is necessary to add the modifier 'in moderation' when one says they still eat all the foods they like and more importantly 2) give some examples of what 'moderation' means to you, so that others on or beginning this change in their eating habits has an idea of what normal is (and what abnormal was).

And yet the change took virtually no effort. Once I stopped looking at food as being "bad," the only effort that was required was logging the portion before eating it.

Well, aren't you special?
    I'm not ashamed to admit, I still struggle every day. Hence, I still have 35lbs left to lose. I've actually done really well for nearly the last 2 weeks, staying in my calories nearly every day, and exercising. Alas, no weight loss yet.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    If a small serving of ice cream isn't "worth it," then you need to evaluate why you'd consider a "food you love."

Honestly, if you need a full pint to feel like you got your ice cream on, you might be either buying crappy ice cream or eating too fast. Or maybe you just don't like ice cream as much as you think you do. Everyone needs to examine his or her own TRUE preferences and loves. Shoving food in your face without thinking about it isn't a love, it's a bad habit. When you break down tasty treats into proper portion sizes, it doesn't take that much to fit them into even a fairly low calorie limit. (I was eating premium gelato every night when I was at 1300, and I didn't have to starve myself all day to do it.) And, if you take the time to enjoy your treats, they will satisfy you.

^^This. Seriously.

And considering that, in my experience, most ice cream is ~160 calories per serving, its really not that hard to fit it in.

160 calories worth of ice cream is just sad...

May be sad for you, but not for everyone. I was just discussing the same exact things about habits and our perception. I grew up eating just one serving, and often even half a serving (kid's popsicle size). It feels plenty much to me because that's the amount I've always eaten even when I weighed more than 300 pounds, and because everyone I ever knew ate 1/2-1 serving and more seemed (and still seems) unnecessary.

I think that's the point really. Everyone should find an approach that works for them and not worry about what other people are doing. 160 calories of ice cream is sad to me, and I'd rather eat the whole pint. I just find a way to eat the whole pint, even if that means I only eat 4 pints a year - to me that's moderation (moderating frequency).

I find it fascinating that even amongst people who generally agree, there's still an undercurrent of 'you're not doing it right' (General observation - not directed at you).
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Supplies-Needed.jpg

For me, it took an attitude adjustment (consciously). I used to look at a serving of ice cream and be like WTF - who would eat just that?!

But as I started to weigh and measure my foods carefully, I started telling myself "wow - I GET to have a serving of ice cream whenever I want to fit it in!"

Its a glass half empty/half full thing in my experience. Force yourself to think positively about it for a while and eventually you will not think of it in any other way.

I fit in ice cream every single day. Sometimes a bar (usually snickers at around 200 cals) or a weighed serving (I just ate 2 servings of talenti fudge brownie for lunch, lol).....but I eat ice cream just about every day. And I'm truly amazed that I GET TO EAT ICE CREAM every day and still lose weight!

• fatcity66
    Options

You're still here?

So, I don't know who you are referring to, but I haven't seen anyone rub it in, in such a way that should cause animosity. I'd have to see the posts, but I think some of the reason why it's having such an impact is jealousy.

Oh, I am totally jealous! I wish I could eat that much and still lose. I am struggling to lose now, even though I am sticking to my calories.