Help! Decided to go vegetarian but my husband hates veggies!

Options

Replies

• LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Okay, it's time for me to go do things with my day. I have paid writing to do and dogs who need feeding, bathing, and walking. However, before I go, I want to clarify a few things:

1) I am not talking about making a change from eating an omnivorous diet to a vegetarian diet for the heck of it or due to medical reasons. I am talking about someone who has made an "ethical" choice to become a vegetarian or a vegan. I only mentioned it because, way back in the thread, someone suggested that the OP was making the change for ethical reasons and I did not see the idea refuted. I may have missed it. I don't know. But no, I do not believe that people who enjoy living with animals and eating animals can live comfortably with "ethical" vegans and vegetarians. I have MANY personal reasons for that stance, most of which would not apply to everyone and the rest of them are NOYB.

2) The church is all about ethics and morals. Yeah. That's kind of why they exist. They want marriages to be "valid" and entered into for the right reasons. People who make ethical changes in their lives, especially those that conflict with their previous beliefs and those upon which the marriage was built will probably get a look from an ecclesiastical court. I'm not saying the look is going to be in favor of the person wanting an annulment, but it can happen. Both sides get scrutinized, painfully so, and the whole relationship is taken under consideration.

3) Don't tell me I don't know about marriage or its value or the values associated with it. You don't know me and should not judge me. I was married in a church in 1985--wrap your head around that date for a second. After 11 years of marriage, we moved to another state. After another two, he decided he was leaving me for another woman. Little problem: he was not going to pay for a divorce and I could not do so on my income. All these years later, we are still separated. He has been in two relationships since then, all of whom have moved into the home we shared. He has not offered me a bit of support or a divorce so that I can move on. I cannot take part in certain church rites and I do not feel I can enter into another relationship while I am still married on paper. I live below the poverty line and he has all the benefits of a two-income family. And, without putting two fine a point on it, he takes advantage of other "benefits" of marriage and I do not because I will not engage in adultery.

Go ahead. Tell me again how I don't value marriage or know what it's about.

Sheesh.

Just because you've gone through a marriage and through a divorce does not automatically mean your views on marriage are the best and not skewed as a result of your personal experiences.

There is no way in hell that since 1998 (i'm assuming) you couldn't have obtained a divorce, you just don't want to go through the process which admittedly would be made even harder by having to slowly save for it, but by now if you really wanted it you would have it. Meanwhile, Get the divorce and live your life to it's fullest or stop caring about that little piece of paper that's stopping you from having a meaningful relationship with someone, you are responsible for your own situation now, enough time has passed to where there is no excuse for not having moved forward. At this point now the blunt of the blame for not being divorced is on you. Or stay as your are you have a right to your own welfare.

Would still like a response on how animal rights and animal welfare have nothing to do with each other.

You're right. I am not paying for this divorce. If he wants the freedom to marry, then he needs to divorce me and he has no grounds. Dog in the manger? You betcha. You're wrong on the date, though, it wasn't 1996. As to having a meaningful relationship with someone? I have good friends. Marriage is unnecessary for me to be happy or have meaningful relationships at this point of my life.

Animal rights has nothing to do with animal welfare. Animal rights, in fact, rejects animal welfare. The animal rights stance is that animals are not ours to own or to use; therefore, welfare is beside the point. If humans are not meant to own animals, then there is no need to worry about how they are kept (their welfare) in "captivity." Animal welfare, however, is exploited to support the animal rights agenda--the more "abuse" they prove, the more they can argue that animals and people should not live together. However, when you complain that the same buckle collar that you've been arguing for decades should be the only training collar you ever use on a dog is now a "cruel and aversive" piece of training equipment, you've pretty much lost all credibility on the abuse front.

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Okay, it's time for me to go do things with my day. I have paid writing to do and dogs who need feeding, bathing, and walking. However, before I go, I want to clarify a few things:

1) I am not talking about making a change from eating an omnivorous diet to a vegetarian diet for the heck of it or due to medical reasons. I am talking about someone who has made an "ethical" choice to become a vegetarian or a vegan. I only mentioned it because, way back in the thread, someone suggested that the OP was making the change for ethical reasons and I did not see the idea refuted. I may have missed it. I don't know. But no, I do not believe that people who enjoy living with animals and eating animals can live comfortably with "ethical" vegans and vegetarians. I have MANY personal reasons for that stance, most of which would not apply to everyone and the rest of them are NOYB.

2) The church is all about ethics and morals. Yeah. That's kind of why they exist. They want marriages to be "valid" and entered into for the right reasons. People who make ethical changes in their lives, especially those that conflict with their previous beliefs and those upon which the marriage was built will probably get a look from an ecclesiastical court. I'm not saying the look is going to be in favor of the person wanting an annulment, but it can happen. Both sides get scrutinized, painfully so, and the whole relationship is taken under consideration.

3) Don't tell me I don't know about marriage or its value or the values associated with it. You don't know me and should not judge me. I was married in a church in 1985--wrap your head around that date for a second. After 11 years of marriage, we moved to another state. After another two, he decided he was leaving me for another woman. Little problem: he was not going to pay for a divorce and I could not do so on my income. All these years later, we are still separated. He has been in two relationships since then, all of whom have moved into the home we shared. He has not offered me a bit of support or a divorce so that I can move on. I cannot take part in certain church rites and I do not feel I can enter into another relationship while I am still married on paper. I live below the poverty line and he has all the benefits of a two-income family. And, without putting two fine a point on it, he takes advantage of other "benefits" of marriage and I do not because I will not engage in adultery.

Sheesh.

Just because you've gone through a marriage and through a divorce does not automatically mean your views on marriage are the best and not skewed as a result of your personal experiences.

There is no way in hell that since 1998 (i'm assuming) you couldn't have obtained a divorce, you just don't want to go through the process which admittedly would be made even harder by having to slowly save for it, but by now if you really wanted it you would have it. Meanwhile, Get the divorce and live your life or stop caring about that little piece of paper that's stopping you from having a meaningful relationship with someone, you are responsible for your own situation now, enough time has passed to where there is no excuse for not having moved forward. Or stay as your are you have a right to your own welfare.

Would still like a response on how animal rights and animal welfare have nothing to do with each other.

A legal divorce and a church divorce are very different in some religions. Some religions make it very hard and very expensive to divorce. And religion is very important to some people. And this is very off topic for this thread.

we've been off topic. This thread derailed forever ago.

But after 17 years she probably could have worked it out.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Whoa what is going on in this thread, lol.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Sheesh.

There is no way in hell that since 1998 (i'm assuming) you couldn't have obtained a divorce, you just don't want to go through the process which admittedly would be made even harder by having to slowly save for it, but by now if you really wanted it you would have it. Meanwhile, Get the divorce and live your life to it's fullest or stop caring about that little piece of paper that's stopping you from having a meaningful relationship with someone, you are responsible for your own situation now, enough time has passed to where there is no excuse for not having moved forward. At this point now the blunt of the blame for not being divorced is on you. Or stay as your are you have a right to your own welfare.

You're right. I am not paying for this divorce. If he wants the freedom to marry, then he needs to divorce me and he has no grounds. Dog in the manger? You betcha. You're wrong on the date, though, it wasn't 1996. As to having a meaningful relationship with someone? I have good friends. Marriage is unnecessary for me to be happy or have meaningful relationships at this point of my life.

Animal rights has nothing to do with animal welfare. Animal rights, in fact, rejects animal welfare. The animal rights stance is that animals are not ours to own or to use; therefore, welfare is beside the point. If humans are not meant to own animals, then there is no need to worry about how they are kept (their welfare) in "captivity." Animal welfare, however, is exploited to support the animal rights agenda--the more "abuse" they prove, the more they can argue that animals and people should not live together. However, when you complain that the same buckle collar that you've been arguing for decades should be the only training collar you ever use on a dog is now a "cruel and aversive" piece of training equipment, you've pretty much lost all credibility on the abuse front.

Wait. You were saying you couldn't have a relationship because you couldn't get divorced. You made it seem you are bitter he's living with two incomes because you are supporting him, I guess? Also you are unhappy being unable to take part in certain church things, etc. And instead of taking charge and accountability for your happiness, you are just going to stay married because you don't want to pay for it?

You are unhappy about your situation (i.e. having your husband have two incomes, so to speak), but aren't going to change it and then you say you are happy even if you aren't married....but just before you seemed...not.

Ummmm....
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options

Sheesh.

There is no way in hell that since 1998 (i'm assuming) you couldn't have obtained a divorce, you just don't want to go through the process which admittedly would be made even harder by having to slowly save for it, but by now if you really wanted it you would have it. Meanwhile, Get the divorce and live your life or stop caring about that little piece of paper that's stopping you from having a meaningful relationship with someone, you are responsible for your own situation now, enough time has passed to where there is no excuse for not having moved forward. Or stay as your are you have a right to your own welfare.

A legal divorce and a church divorce are very different in some religions. Some religions make it very hard and very expensive to divorce. And religion is very important to some people. And this is very off topic for this thread.

we've been off topic. This thread derailed forever ago.

But after 17 years she probably could have worked it out.

Yes, but you have to admit that it was not me who brought religion into the thread. I simply made the observation that I would let my partner know that the marriage was no longer on secure footing if s/he (in my case, he) made a life-altering decision for both people in the marriage, without me.
  • tomatoey
    Options

Sheesh.

I am sure you can do better than that!!! Don't wait for him to decide to respect you - in this world, you have to take what's yours. You're protected by rights, what have any lawyers you've talked to said about this?
  • lisi79
    lisi79 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Explore other foods with spice...... We cook a lot of South Indian food at our home.... All veg... And ppl seem to love it.... I have family members that don't like a lot of veggies but will eat the indian food... A good site is nithyasnalabagam.com ... Her site is really great... And really easy to use..
  • lisi79
    lisi79 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    And you can cook some meat on the side :smiley:
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Sheesh.

If the person is using religious beliefs being so important as to why they wouldn't get a divorce then the idea of divorce over this topic should be no where near their radar.

Perhaps. I know nothing about the user, but some religions have very weird rules around divorce.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    This thread really did take a turn into no mans lands..

I know it won't, but I hope it ends well..and everyone keeps their religion, their wives or husbands and for heavens sake find a happy medium so everyone gets fed!

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Not all vegans base their decision on a "love" for animals, by the way. This may be why you are having trouble understanding the motivation for it. Veganism is not about control over food, it's an ethical position on animal exploitation. Since food is a major source of animal exploitation, it can often come across that way to those less familiar with veganism, however. If you'd like to discuss it more, we certainly can -- I understand that it can be difficult to wrap your head around when you first consider it, acceptance of animal exploitation is certainly deeply rooted in our thought patterns.

I don't think she is trying to control his food choices. There's no indication in the OP that she is trying to do that. I think she is trying to figure out how to navigate this change while disrupting their current food routine as little as possible. If she does feel a need to control him, that would be a whole different issue.

Thank you for confirming that animal rights has nothing to do with a love of animals. But no, trot out the "exploitation" word and you've lost me. I don't have time for animal rights twaddle.

If I were the husband, after all these suggestions of letting him cook for himself, letting him cook his own meat, cooking a portion of meat that is supposed to feed him for a week or whatever, I'd be looking for someone else who shared my values and my lifestyle. Meals are a social thing in families. I don't feel sociable with someone who is making a value judgment on what I decide to eat. It's another matter when, as another person posted, there was a real medical issue that prevented her from eating meat.

Animal rights isn't based on "loving" animals any more than a belief in human rights is based on a "love" of humans. Individual vegans may love animals, but love isn't necessary in order to have a standard for how one treats others. I'm not sure what it is you don't have time for -- aren't we engaged in a conversation right now? It doesn't take more time to try to genuinely understand another's POV if one is already engaged in conversation. If you are declaring that you will refuse to do so, I appreciate your candor. If there is a word I could use other than "exploitation" that would keep you from getting lost, let me know. I'm not sure how else to describe it, but there could be other ways.

Meals are a social thing in my family as well. Families don't always agree on their ethical stances. That shouldn't prevent them from sharing a meal together if they'd like, although I understand not all families function in this way. I'd rather eat with someone I loved, even if we disagreed. Do you think it is possible for people with ethical-based standards for how animals are treated and those who reject those standards to live together? I don't think we have to give up so easily.
    Agreed. I'm not vegan but I presume that the primary goal was to reduce suffering, and being vegan helps to do that?

Yes, reducing suffering can be a key motivation.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    This thread really did take a turn into no mans lands..

I know it won't, but I hope it ends well..and everyone keeps their religion, their wives or husbands and for heavens sake find a happy medium so everyone gets fed!

Sigh - nice thought. Agree :)
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Sheesh.

I thought they had absolutely nothing to do with each other? If they don't then how can you use animal welfare to support the agenda of animal rights? Also it depends how you define animal rights and how you define animal welfare. Just like religion it can be interpreted and misinterpreted again and again to support ones own opinions.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Also, it's possible to find butchers who sell ethical meat

If one is a vegetarian due to ethical concerns with factory farming, this would be an option. If one is a vegetarian due to ethical concerns with ending the life of an animal so one can eat him or her, this would not be an option.

Choosing a different method of confinement and slaughter will not address the concerns of some vegetarians and vegans.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Also, it's possible to find butchers who sell ethical meat

If one is a vegetarian due to ethical concerns with factory farming, this would be an option. If one is a vegetarian due to ethical concerns with ending the life of an animal so one can eat him or her, this would not be an option.

Choosing a different method of confinement and slaughter will not address the concerns of some vegetarians and vegans.

True - was thinking about what OP's husband could maybe find to eat
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    It's definitely do-able. I was vegan/vegetarian for a long time while hubby is a meat-eater. A lot of meals are easy to accommodate both. I make vegetable fried rice a lot, with leftover meat from the freezer for hubbys dish. Tacos I'll do ground beef for him and beans for me. Pizza gets divided up 1/4 vegetarian, 3/4 with pepperoni. I'll do up potatoes for shepherds pie and split half for his with meat and half for mine with ground round/beans/lentils. Spaghetti is vegetarian but I'll do up a batch meatballs for him and just pull a few out of the freezer for his plate. Chicken caesar salad he get chicken I'll do tofu. Most of our meals are protein+veg+grain so I'll do up a protein for each of us. If you want to cook less meat, then have someone cook up meat in the house like once a week or month and divide it up and freeze for later.
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    I don't have anything particularly helpful to say except to tell him that if he doesn't eat what you've prepared for dinner, he's on his own.

Lol I'd love to say this too my hubby, but he works while I stay at home with the kids. I know he would just make his own (and on days where I'm pulling my hair out from the kids driving me crazy he does make his own with no complaints) but I hate the idea of him making his own food after a long day at work. He can be really picky though so I've realized that it's just easier to make meat and potatoes type meals for him and then he has leftovers for lunches all week, while I make my own meals (curry, yum!). Having two meals works especially well for us because he's trying to gain weight, while I'm trying to lose weight, so his are really high-cal comfort foods and mine tend to be more vegetable-based low cal.