My 600 Pound Life?

Options

Replies

• haysavam
    haysavam Posts: 74 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I like season one best, because everything was over the span of several years. Melissa's story (season one episode one + two) is by FAR my favorite.

Now the stuff that happens in their life seems more forced/staged (divorces, marriages etc.) because it's cut down to only the span of one year.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    haysavam wrote: »
    I like season one best, because everything was over the span of several years. Melissa's story (season one episode one + two) is by FAR my favorite.

Now the stuff that happens in their life seems more forced/staged (divorces, marriages etc.) because it's cut down to only the span of one year.
    Just saw Melissa's story the other day. My favorite too.

• Ameengyrl
    Ameengyrl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Chays story is on now... He's 23, 600 pounds but still very mobile. Probably due to his age
  • haysavam
    haysavam Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Ameengyrl wrote: »
    Chays story is on now... He's 23, 600 pounds but still very mobile. Probably due to his age

I know- I'm watching it right now, LOL!!! It's what made me think of this thread. I really hope he's lost the 40 pounds!!!! GO CHAY!!!!
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    I just got passed the first commercial break of Chays story and I feel really bad for him :(
    Moreso than most of the others for some reason.....
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    OMG ten more minutes in and his grandmother dies?? Poor kid :'(
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    What surprised me about Chay was that he was actually his grandmother's caregiver. I'm not sure I've ever seen that before on this show - the episode star being, rather than having, a caretaker.

I didn't think he was going to pull through - he said more than once "if" he went back to the doctor (red flag), he kept saying he was "trying" but then going out for giant dinners, and then after the doctor chewed him out, he said he wasn't going back, period, so I was very happy to see that he got it together with the encouragement of his uncle, aunt and cousin and got to the point where he could have the surgery.

I'm not sure he was so mobile (for his weight) due to his age - anybody remember that teen boy whose mom doted on him hand and foot and literally couldn't get off his own butt to get his own darned sandwich?

Another thing that struck me about Chay was that he seemed so bright. I'm not being condescending, and I'm not being nasty about other participants - I don't know...there was just something about him...he was very well-spoken. He played dumb once or twice but he was soft-spoken and almost...elegant. He didn't seem in for the super-drama, either. Somehow, he impressed me.

I wish a long and happy life for him. Caveat: I haven't gotten to the end of the show yet so I don't know if he's going to continue "trying"...but these are my initial impressions.
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    What surprised me about Chay was that he was actually his grandmother's caregiver. I'm not sure I've ever seen that before on this show - the episode star being, rather than having, a caretaker.

I didn't think he was going to pull through - he said more than once "if" he went back to the doctor (red flag), he kept saying he was "trying" but then going out for giant dinners, and then after the doctor chewed him out, he said he wasn't going back, period, so I was very happy to see that he got it together with the encouragement of his uncle, aunt and cousin and got to the point where he could have the surgery.

I'm not sure he was so mobile (for his weight) due to his age - anybody remember that teen boy whose mom doted on him hand and foot and literally couldn't get off his own butt to get his own darned sandwich?

Another thing that struck me about Chay was that he seemed so bright. I'm not being condescending, and I'm not being nasty about other participants - I don't know...there was just something about him...he was very well-spoken. He played dumb once or twice but he was soft-spoken and almost...elegant. He didn't seem in for the super-drama, either. Somehow, he impressed me.

I wish a long and happy life for him. Caveat: I haven't gotten to the end of the show yet so I don't know if he's going to continue "trying"...but these are my initial impressions.

I was impressed that he was able to keep going after his grandmother died, even after a set back in diet. Binge eating to numb emotions is so strong, I was amazed that he was able to over come that after such a huge loss in his life.

I think he was so mobile because he had no choice. People that big can lose mobility very quickly once they stop moving, but I do not think he ever stopped because there was nobody else to take care of him and he had to help his grandparents.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    In all seriousness (is that a word?) I saw Charity's story last night and I am at a lost for words. I had no idea that a body could be distorted in such a way. The "flaps" on her behind had me watching with my mouth open and when they were removed, weighing 57 lbs. WOW, nevermind her fiance\son\brother in law situation.
  • ElizabethObviously
    ElizabethObviously Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I watch this show because it makes me keep going. I know I am not far from being like them, if I just sat here doing nothing.

Right now I weigh 485. Not once have I EVER used a scooter at the stores. I wear jeans. I tie my own shoes. I have completed 3 5ks and have my next one coming up on the 11th. I can take my own shower and wash my own body. I can do most work out DVDs. I can run (not far, not fast but it is running...of sorts)

I think alot of these people who become bed ridden, like Penny, use their weight as an excuse. Her entire episode, she used her weight as to why she could not do this and could not do that. It irks me a little because people will watch these shows and they assume anyone who is heavy (not necc their size but 300 or more) falls into the same boat as the people on this show. Not everyone who is heavy falls into that category.

I am here on MFP to lose weight. I am trying. I always love seeing the people on that show succeed.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Keep going, Elizabeth!
  • ilovemypeekapug
    ilovemypeekapug Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I felt bad for Chay. I hope he keeps going and loses the weight. How horrible to feel unloved by your own mother. Next week is the season finale.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I just got passed the first commercial break of Chays story and I feel really bad for him :(

I felt the same exact way. My heart broke for him when he recounted his childhood and then again when his grandmother died.

I usually want to see everyone succeed... but I find myself especially wanting to see Chay succeed.
  • jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    WOW, nevermind her fiance\son\brother in law situation.

Hahaha that make me chuckle. :D
  • jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    SconnieCat wrote: »

duplicate again - my computer is messing up. Sorry, y'all.

I love MFP but one thing that is missing is the ability to delete a comment/reply you dont want to post.

**Didn't want to actually reply this but since I cant just delete might as well rant a little. :)
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    jazzine1 wrote: »
    SconnieCat wrote: »

duplicate again - my computer is messing up. Sorry, y'all.

I love MFP but one thing that is missing is the ability to delete a comment/reply you dont want to post.

**Didn't want to actually reply this but since I cant just delete might as well rant a little. :)

Hahaha. I tried flagging my own post and mentioned in the comments that my reply was duplicate. Hopefully it will eventually be delted :) Until then I just look like I "forgot how to internet". :wink:
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Chay's episode actually caused a bit of a tiff between me and my fiance. When Chay started saying how he didn't care anymore after his grandmother passed away, my fiance said to me "How stupid is he that he's just going to give up?" and I basically had to say "You have no idea what it's like to need food to cope" which is true because he's never had a weight problem. I had to explain how it really struck home with me because after my own grandmother passed away two years ago I used it as an excuse to basically give up trying, and I ended up gaining around 60-70 pounds in less than a year. After we talked it out my fiance apologized for being insensitive.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Chay's grandmother was obese and died of a heart attack. If that isn't enough to make him want to change, I don't know what is.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options

Chay's episode actually caused a bit of a tiff between me and my fiance. When Chay started saying how he didn't care anymore after his grandmother passed away, my fiance said to me "How stupid is he that he's just going to give up?" and I basically had to say "You have no idea what it's like to need food to cope" which is true because he's never had a weight problem. I had to explain how it really struck home with me because after my own grandmother passed away two years ago I used it as an excuse to basically give up trying, and I ended up gaining around 60-70 pounds in less than a year. After we talked it out my fiance apologized for being insensitive.
    My sister had gastric sleeve surgery 2 years ago. Last summer her MIL passed away, and she said it was the first time she REALLY wanted to overeat and wasn't able to. If someone's not an emotional eater, they could never understand that need.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    levitateme wrote: »
    Chay's grandmother was obese and died of a heart attack. If that isn't enough to make him want to change, I don't know what is.

The sad thing is she mentioned in a clip while she is sitting in her chair how she is short of breath and her chest is tight. I was wondering why is she not getting medical help? He already said she has medical problems. I was not surprised when she passed. Sad for him, but I just wonder if it could have been thwarted.