So you want a nice stomach

Options

Replies

• grrupp
    grrupp Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Bump to remember...good sound advice and congrats to you :)
  • annathelu
    annathelu Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have a aueru
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I took usmcmp's advice maybe three weeks ago and added strength training and eliminated a few cardio sessions in my fitness program. I lift once a week using the Power of 10 program (youtube it or check out Amazon so I don't have to explain here). I make 5% gains about every two weeks (and it is cardio if you perform it without delay between machines - I don't). My cardio has dropped from five days a week and is now 30 minutes of racquetball with my wife twice a week. According to my body fat scale, my weight loss is now comprised of fat and not muscle.
  • annathelu
    annathelu Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Let me try again. I do a lot of cardio. My life is swim, bike, run, repeat, it seems. Also I do bodyweight exercises (plank, push ups, burpees). I've really started incorporating weights, and I'm seeing gains in my strength. I get the need for resistance training. But I just don't get why people are against cardio.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    peterjens wrote: »
    I took usmcmp's advice maybe three weeks ago and added strength training and eliminated a few cardio sessions in my fitness program. I lift once a week using the Power of 10 program (youtube it or check out Amazon so I don't have to explain here). I make 5% gains about every two weeks (and it is cardio if you perform it without delay between machines - I don't). My cardio has dropped from five days a week and is now 30 minutes of racquetball with my wife twice a week. According to my body fat scale, my weight loss is now comprised of fat and not muscle.

@peterjens Thank you for the update! It will be nice to see how things continue to work for you in the long term. We all know that even crash diets work short term, but adherence and long term success are what I hope this plan can bring to most people.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    annathelu wrote: »
    Let me try again. I do a lot of cardio. My life is swim, bike, run, repeat, it seems. Also I do bodyweight exercises (plank, push ups, burpees). I've really started incorporating weights, and I'm seeing gains in my strength. I get the need for resistance training. But I just don't get why people are against cardio.

@annathelu Many of us hate cardio. Beyond that my reason for the lower suggestion of cardio is because of the misconception many people have about weight loss when they start. People think that you HAVE to do lots of cardio to lose weight and have a lean body. Cardio is good for our health, but it is not vital for fat loss (a calorie deficit is vital for fat loss).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Where are you seeing that they are against people doing cardio?
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

@annathelu Many of us hate cardio. Beyond that my reason for the lower suggestion of cardio is because of the misconception many people have about weight loss when they start. People think that you HAVE to do lots of cardio to lose weight and have a lean body. Cardio is good for our health, but it is not vital for fat loss (a calorie deficit is vital for fat loss).

yeah, I've heard for years that I "NEED" cardio, that I'm not really fit if I don't run or get a runners high, etc. If you enjoy it, rock on with your own bad self, but I'll stick to my usual active life and brisk walking and hiking, and pick up some heavy stuff for strength and muscle goodliness. (it is so a word! I'm just avoiding "tone," LOL)

A lot of people come to this thread and others and say, "I go for an hour a day on the elliptical and do 1000 crunches and planks for 5 minutes! Why don't I like the way my body looks, yet?" Lifting heavy weights instead of all-cardio-all-the-time can be a revelation, especially for women my age, who have been hearing our whole lives that we shouldn't lift more than 5 pounds or so, lest we Hulk out. (Heck, I'm even old enough to remember people saying that "Aerobicising" would make women too hard and manly looking!)
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    But I just don't get why people are against cardio.

Personally, I'm not against cardio either - it is integral to a wellness program. Aerobics is key for heart health but I think the law of diminishing returns comes into play. It's easy to overdo to the point of injury - at least for me. The heart muscle needs rest too. Its great that cardio burns calories but I never went out for a run to burn off a food binge. I went out for a run to play. I have a resting heart rate of 46 bpm and I give cardio the credit and it appears that cutting back on it has not had any effect on my heart rate.
  • VeronicaByrd
    Options
    hiiii..
    great advice... I too think cardio will be a good step to reduce belly weight, because it will be helping in burning calories and fats. It will also increases capacity of your lungs.
  • mhanispeedy
    mhanispeedy Posts: 50 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi thanks for the info , I am trying to select a 12 week program of jim from BB.com , is that ok? He focuses on hear beat more , I mean he said that resistance training is good with increased heart beat , I will do a 30 minutes cardio with weight training , will I loose weight quick ? And should I do cardio before or after weight training
    @usmcmp
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Hi thanks for the info , I am trying to select a 12 week program of jim from BB.com , is that ok? He focuses on hear beat more , I mean he said that resistance training is good with increased heart beat , I will do a 30 minutes cardio with weight training , will I loose weight quick ? And should I do cardio before or after weight training
    @usmcmp

@mhanispeedy The goal isn't fast weight loss. The goal is sustainable fat loss. I know which program you picked and Jim Stoppani is a pretty solid guy in the industry. It's going to be a very intense program, so you probably aren't going to need the cardio before or after. Just follow his program as it is written and if you absolutely feel you have to do cardio, do it on a rest day instead of on a lifting day.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    hiiii..
    great advice... I too think cardio will be a good step to reduce belly weight, because it will be helping in burning calories and fats. It will also increases capacity of your lungs.

@VeronicaByrd I suggested not doing lots of cardio. The goal of my post is to reduce fat by retaining lean mass. We see over and over again that people get to their goal weight and still have more body fat than they want because dieting and cardio burns fat and muscle. My method outlined in the first post is about retaining the muscle through this process so that we burn mostly fat.
  • ramndeepbining
    Options
    Here are the accurate numbers according to my personal trainer:
    You’ll need to consume at least 25 calories per pound of bodyweight per day, made up of at least 2 grams of protein, close to 3 grams of carbs and about 0.5 gram of fat per pound of bodyweight. Since you weigh 117 you need: 2925 calories per day, 2x117=protein on daily basis, 3x117 = how many carbs you need on daily basis, and 0.5x117= how much fat you need.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    You’ll need to consume at least 25 calories per pound of bodyweight per day, made up of at least 2 grams of protein, close to 3 grams of carbs and about 0.5 gram of fat per pound of bodyweight. Since you weigh 117 you need: 2925 calories per day, 2x117=protein on daily basis, 3x117 = how many carbs you need on daily basis, and 0.5x117= how much fat you need.

I know almost nobody who weighs 117 pounds that can maintain weight on 2900 calories. Not even lightweight bodybuilders who workout twice per day. You would have to do lots of cardio to come even close to maintaining weight on 2900 calories per day.

Running my weight off your trainer's numbers would have me maintaining weight on 4875 calories per day. I have significantly more lean mass than other women and I maintain my weight at 2800 calories per day. Your trainer is wrong and you should consider finding a new one. In the mean time look at online TDEE calculators for closer estimations of your calorie needs.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options

Are you sure it's not 25 calories per lb of LBM? 2900 calories is ridiculously high for someone weighing 117lb. I barely lose anything at 1000 calories below that.

I'm with usmcmp, I think your trainer is WAY off and you should either get some clarification from him/her or consider a new one.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    srslybritt wrote: »

Are you sure it's not 25 calories per lb of LBM? 2900 calories is ridiculously high for someone weighing 117lb. I barely lose anything at 1000 calories below that.

I'm with usmcmp, I think your trainer is WAY off and you should either get some clarification from him/her or consider a new one.

Even then that's way too much. It might work for Kg.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    srslybritt wrote: »

Even then that's way too much. It might work for Kg.

I ran mine off Kg and it's not too far off (although any flat rate multiplier without considering body fat is going to be off). I think you found the problem.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    ElliottTN wrote: »
    I really really want to give you a thumbs up but your number 4 is making me cringe.

Yes...this. ^^^

What's your reason for not liking #4? My reply to him is that if diet is on point you don't need much cardio. You can add more, but it isn't necessarily helpful. All good programs should include some cardio. I also said that food logging should be accurate, but it isn't always and doing cardio can help make up for inaccuracy (like going out to eat, the dishes can vary up to 500 calories depending on restaurant).

Jumping back in, so tell me how it is not necessarily helpful.

Please explain that to me?

So go by just the rough average of say 100 cals burned per mile.

Say 10 minute miles (which we could say the average person could pull off)

Say they go for 40 minutes everyday.

That would equate to 400 cals extra burned.

Most people wouldn't come close to burning through their glycogen stores in 45 minutes. Assuming they are not sprinting for 45 minutes. So your precious muscles stay in tact and not used for energy AND you get the added bonus of 400 cals burned.

Oh, let's not forget all the added cardio bonus' you get to enjoy in the gym because of your cardio runs.

What is bizarre is your recommendation really REALLY heavy on the protein macro ratio then scared to death of the cardio monster.

What I find more funny than anything is the fact you have the usmc title in your name and you know damn well you wouldn't have anywhere close to the body you have now without all the fun cardio they made you do.

Other than that, two thumbs up.

Well said mate.

Not to mention overweight people generally have poor stamina and endurance. Cardio is great for your heart, lungs and blood flow. Which means any physical activity you do gets easier, from walking to the train station to having way better sex. Seriously guys it is unbelievable, what improved blood flow and stamina will do for your sexual activities.

Also I completely agree on the way over the top protein macro.

I just read through the thread because you looked familiar. You posted on page 16 (back on August 4th, 2014). I responded to you back then and you never came back. I responded to you yet again, but you haven't come back. You just hit and run without actually wanting to discuss it.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    A pretty good article that I mostly agree with, no fluff, no pseudo science, no food fear....refreshing. And yes there's nothing wrong with some cardio.