Question about these message boards...

Options

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I felt the same way when I first started looking at them. Then I realized there was a ton of information on here, these forums have taught me alot. If you look closer you will notice things tend to get heated when:
    - someone asks a question but does not want to REAL answer, they want people to tell them what they want to hear, even if it is wrong
    - people make outlandish claims they cannot support
    - people encourage ridiculous fad diets, magic solutions, or generally unhealthy approaches to weight loss

We are all (hopefully) here to better outselves and help those around us. Allowing incorrect information to circulate is not helping anyone.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way when I first started looking at them. Then I realized there was a ton of information on here, these forums have taught me alot. If you look closer you will notice things tend to get heated when:
    - someone asks a question but does not want to REAL answer, they want people to tell them what they want to hear, even if it is wrong
    - people encourage ridiculous fad diets, magic solutions, or generally unhealthy approaches to weight loss

We are all (hopefully) here to better outselves and help those around us. Allowing incorrect information to circulate is not helping anyone.

very well said

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have gone through some of the threads and notice there is so much ugliness. Are all of the threads like this? I've only read a few and everyone has people being insulting, berating, and down right vicious.

Do "you" use the boards to ask questions, in general, or is it best to stay out of them?

I was hoping that things would be different here. I was hoping for a place that fostered a supportive, communicative environment, but it seems the same as everywhere else online. Sad. I really hope I just found a few nasty threads, not being the norm.

Anyone have any thoughts?

My advice to posting is
    1) read the sticky posts and do a search on your topic before posting. It may have been covered a million times already. If your question hasn't been covered then post in the appropriate forum.
    2) include all pertinent information in your first post... Height, weight, age, activity level, weight loss/fitness goal, medical conditions you have
    3) if you are asking about why you can't lose weight or are gaining then have your diary open. You will be asked if you weigh your food and if you are choosing correct entries.
    3) Don't get defensive if people are blunt. Don't make excuses. If you don't like the responses just step away from it. Maybe think about why you got the reaction you did.
    4) if you post about fad diets, wanting to eat below 1,200 calories, taking diet pills, wrapping yourself in plastic, use words like starvation mode, cleansing, toxins, or promote fast, extreme weight loss then you will not receive supportive responses.

I feel the community is very active and responsive here. Most people are very patient and friendly. You can get good advice and support here.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    7zs7lx92xczk.jpg
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Is this a butt-hurt post??....if so BINGO!!!! :D
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

This.

Generally things get ugly when OP starts arguing with the posters, telling people to "go post their negativity (read - disagreement with the topic presented) somewhere else," starts calling people names, or if the OP starts picking and choosing the advice given and only accepts what he/she wants to hear. Some topics are touchier than others, and some people don't like when others give succinct, clear, and blunt advice without any fluff thrown in. That's when the battle of the feelings begin.

The veterans on here know what they're talking about. I've learned so much from them. And some threads can get pretty entertaining. But there is nothing wrong with disagreeing with other people's views, and there is nothing wrong with asking people to back up their silly claims with science. These forums have given me a much better understanding of nutrition in general, and I am very thankful to have listened to the "mean" ones.
  • HappyAZWife
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. I do appreciate you taking the time to answer my question. I think I will probably look for some like minded groups at this point. I have a pretty thick skin, but I just hate reading name calling and insults completely unrelated in threads I am trying to glean from. Since I am over-obligated at this point I don't want to weed through things like that looking for the gem.

Again I very much appreciate the input! I'm glad to be here.
  • HappyAZWife
    Options
    I do not understand the bingo thing. Can someone explain that to me?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
  • jkramsey42
    jkramsey42 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you want lots of "would you sleep with the random stranger above?" posts, you're in the right spot.

If you want legit advice? Good luck.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I do not understand the bingo thing. Can someone explain that to me?

The topic that you posted is so frequently brought up that regulars created a game out of it. If new people used the search function and read up on things instead of posting new threads on topics that are covered on a daily basis, the boards wouldn't be filled with "ugliness" IMO. I know people are going to argue and defend what they believe in no matter what, but do we need 7 "is sugar evil???" threads a day to showcase this?
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    These boards are extremely tame in comparison to everything else I have seen on the internet. I suggest developing a thicker skin before becoming further involved in the social/forum aspect of any site if it bothers you. That is just my advice.

Try visiting the forum on TheKnot. Brides be crazy.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

That card *can't* be up to date... there's no 'mean people thread' entry... :)
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I struggle to believe there are people who are so precious that other people posting stuff they don't like on a forum horrifies them. It seems there are still a silly amount of people who want to be told what they want to hear or they get all upset and wounded about it. Grow up, get a grip and either accept it or don't come on here.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    What a noob thinks when they ask a question on mfp...

84534165.gif
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    jkramsey42 wrote: »
    If you want lots of "would you sleep with the random stranger above?" posts, you're in the right spot.

If you want legit advice? Good luck.

bahahaha!

• srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You get out of this site what you put into it. If you approach weight loss in a common-sense, science based way, and are willing to challenge ideas and think outside of the box, you will be just fine. If you cling to miracle pills, snake oil, and drinking potions as your main talking points, you're going to get pushback. Weigh your food. Log it accurately. Pay attention to your body and don't accept every bit of hype you read.

I lurked on these boards for the better part of a year without ever contributing a thing. You have to acclimate to the environment and consider your audience. And, yeah, sometimes you just plain ol' have to have a thick skin. But that's life, there will be people anywhere that have the potential to offend you or just be straight up jerks.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Pass.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

The cool kids are more apt to let you in the club if your attempts are less obvious.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I've asked and haven't seen the ugliness on my posts... but most of the time I'll ask when I can't find an answer after goggling or searching on these forums. It's faster searching than waiting for answers anyways. :flowerforyou: