Question about these message boards...

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited April 2015
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    You've clearly never been on a parenting forum then? :)

Hell hath no fury like a sanctimommy looking for validation.

Right but I was thinking about just . . . not breastfeeding.

And people who do that cosleeping thing are bad parents.

;)

I feel like I have PTSD from BabyCenter - this made me twitch.
    I'm scared of BabyCenter forums.
    Don't tell them I said that, k?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    You've clearly never been on a parenting forum then? :)

Hell hath no fury like a sanctimommy looking for validation.

Right but I was thinking about just . . . not breastfeeding.

And people who do that cosleeping thing are bad parents.

;)

I feel like I have PTSD from BabyCenter - this made me twitch.
    I'm scared of BabyCenter forums.
    Don't tell them I said that, k?

Your secret is safe with me.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited April 2015

I'm still trying to master this skill. Sadly I fear I'll have to become a grandma first. They probably give out the secret at the super covert grandma initiation meeting.

You line the pan with foil, then when done, you lift the whole thing out in one shot! Like a brownie sling!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    You line the pan with foil, then when done, you lift the whole thing out in one shot! Like a brownie sling!

That's helpful for making one huge brownie (and I've done it before with some success). But the secret I want is how to make them out of love and not out of calories.
  • wizzybeth
    Oh and if you want really ...intense... forums...visit old school Fundamentalist Christian boards....and start a thread about evolution, abortion, King James Bible, etc. Those are the "detox, cleanse, jucing" terms for those groups.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Oh and if you want really ...intense... forums...visit old school Fundamentalist Christian boards....and start a thread about evolution, abortion, King James Bible, etc. Those are the "detox, cleanse, jucing" terms for those groups.

Um. There is really nothing that would make me do that, ever.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I've never been to Baby Center, honestly. I have spent a lot of time on chronic illness forums though and while they do tend to be much gentler places than MFP (apart from the tendency people have to claim that they have the worst, most painful illness and no one else understands their suffering) they also tend to be full of nonsense with no one calling out anything that's just plain wrong and potentially dangerous.

I prefer MFP. It's rough and it's not for everyone, but I like it here.
  • wizzybeth
    tomatoey wrote: »

Um. There is really nothing that would make me do that, ever.

Very wise. LOL

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member

Well this is certainly something one could do if they hated themselves.
  • wizzybeth

That's helpful for making one huge brownie (and I've done it before with some success). But the secret I want is how to make them out of love and not out of calories.

Oh......yeah, you need a gramma to do that part.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member

Oh......yeah, you need a gramma to do that part.

awwwwwwwww :):):) I miss my grandma :(:(
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    I don't think the message boards here are that bad, but I survived The Knot. I do have some tips for the forums, in no particular order:

1. If you're asking for help, be upfront and honest about everything. No one wants to spend 5 pages trying to help you figure out calorie counts or why you aren't losing only for you to trot out a medical condition on page 6. If you're not comfortable talking about the medical issue on the main forums, try the groups for help with your questions.

2. You are going to be wrong about something at some point. Someone pointing out that you arrived at a conclusion based on incorrect information or just a plain old oversight does not make them mean, a troll, or a hater. They're just someone who pointed out a flaw in your thinking. Yes, it's embarrassing to realize you screwed up, but that's about you, not them. This is where gifs come in handy.

3. Just because someone responds to you with sunshine and rainbows doesn't mean that they have your best interests in mind. Just because someone comes off as blunt or harsh doesn't mean that they are trying to be mean to you or keep you from succeeding. Read everything as though it is being said by Kermit the Frog. 90% of the arguments on here have less to do with what someone actually said than the tone in which the reader perceives it was said.

4. Review the community guidelines and learn how the reporting system works. Yes, the mods read every report that comes in. There's a section where you can add text, feel free to say hi.

5. Cat gifs. Always cat gifs. Or any kind of gif, really.

6. Those people who are always arguing about something? Every single one of them, on both sides of every single issue that gets debated, has taken time to help someone on these forums. And not just help them with a quick response, but sat patiently through pages and pages, explaining the same things they've explained 100 times before to other users, just to help out a stranger who is frustrated, or confused, or doubting themselves, or just flat-out scared. I've seen it, and if you give this place a chance and don't just focus on the drama, you'll see it too.

7. You can block entire forums from the http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/ page by hovering over the forum name, then clicking on the gear and selecting Unfollow. Unless you were on the edge of your seat waiting to see what that one person thinks about that poster above them.

8. Brownies are delicious. Ok, that's not really about the forums, but I needed an even numbered list because I am a crazy person.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    The universe is imploding. I read both mods' posts and agreed with them. * Goes and stuffs face since there's nothing to live for anymore*
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    @kgeyser‌ i can reassure you that your #2 is wrong because i have never said anything wrong on the forums like: you should drink half your weight in oz of water or that its better to eat 6 meals vs 2 or 3. And especially, i have never advocated that breakfast should always be eaten.

OP, the issue a lot of people have on the forum, and potentially in real life is they cant recognize when they say dumb stuff because broscience or heard it from a friend. But if you can be honest with yourself and be willing to hear both sides, then you will be fine.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    The universe is imploding. I read both mods' posts and agreed with them. * Goes and stuffs face since there's nothing to live for anymore*

*hint* there are three mods creepin this thread lol.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    psulemon wrote: »

There's a number after 2????
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member

I don't creep...................I rule.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    @kgeyser‌ i can reassure you that your #2 is wrong because i have never said anything wrong on the forums

irony ?