Question about these message boards...

Replies

• dcmitchell01
    dcmitchell01 Posts: 76 Member
    edited April 2015
    People can be rude sometimes, but I do get a lot out of the success stories. I know that not everyone's stories are the same, but I get inspiration from the thought that this is hard for everyone, and to see some people triumph is reassuring. I like to read the advice, but do a lot of my own research outside of here too - because I acknowledge that I do not know enough to weed out good advice versus bad. Sometimes differing perspectives are helpful to look at things in another way, and sometimes petty arguements breakout that are counterproductive. Like someone else said, it is what you make it, and it can be very helpful.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Serah87 wrote: »

That card *can't* be up to date... there's no 'mean people thread' entry... :)

I made my own, but I was just showing the OP. ;)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    It's inevitable that people will get ugly. Fitness, like religion/politics/etc., people tend to get very passionate. And at times, they will insult each other. That is when it gets reported and I get to have my fun :wink: . But overall there is good information that flows on this board. In fact, I am continuously learning daily. A lot of the time, there are people who see disagreement or being corrected as an attack. The majority of long term members here are fairly direct (including me). So we will be seen as confrontational or attacking others. Heck, I can't tell you how many times I have been reported for being mean.

With that said, there tends to be a few hot topic threads that will inevitably turn into a huge dumpster fire, as noted below:
    • Sugar threads
    • Low carb
    • Detox/cleanse
    • Any MLM (beachbody products, advocare, plexus, etc..
    • Are carbs good or bad
    • Why do the mods suck

But for me, even though a lot of those threads have a lot of passionate people, they tend to have a lot of science in them. I will also say, if you go into the more focused areas (aka outside of general weight loss), they tend to have less controversial.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    I am very thankful for these forums. The threads on here that I've read off and on over the year have helped me understand many important things, including:

[*] There are no really "good" or really "bad" foods. There are foods that have more nutritional value for the amount of calories. But it's not "bad" to eat A brownie as long as I stay within my calorie deficit/goal. (note I said "a" brownie, not eat only brownies.)
    [*] Calorie intake is the most important thing for weight loss.
    [*] I don't need supplements, special food, or appetite suppressants to succeed.
    [*]It is important to track your macros, not just calories, to make sure you are eating a healthy balanced diet.
    [*]Our bodies are amazing when we feed them the nutrients they need.
    [*]Don't make health claims using sources like Dr. Oz or Dr. Mercola.
    [*]Freelee the Banana Girl is ...nuts.
    [*]Avoid trigger topics such as: sugar, detox, cleanse, jumpstart, juicing, Herbalife, Plexus.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    I have gone through some of the threads and notice there is so much ugliness. Are all of the threads like this? I've only read a few and everyone has people being insulting, berating, and down right vicious.

Do "you" use the boards to ask questions, in general, or is it best to stay out of them?

I was hoping that things would be different here. I was hoping for a place that fostered a supportive, communicative environment, but it seems the same as everywhere else online. Sad. I really hope I just found a few nasty threads, not being the norm.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I think there are certain posters that are quite rude and that tends to mask all the lovely and helpful responses.

I've posted maybe three threads and never again! I posted when I was pregnant asking for advice and got loads of abuse (thank god I found the pregnancy forums which are fab) and after my baby and of course got insults. Clearly I was lying about what I'd eaten in pregnancy and and gained weight because I'd stuffed my face for 9 months, yet when I was pregnant I was terrible because I was continuing to eat at a deficit. You can't win.

I try to be supportive when I reply to threads.
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Groups are better than the main forums, if you can find the groups you're interested in. That's one thing that's sorely lacking on MFP. To find a group, you need to Google it or ask someone in the main forums if they know a link.

I agree about the tone of the forums, which is why I could post more, but don't bother. Typical internet feeding frenzy a lot of the time. I just don't have to time or the stomach for that.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    You've clearly never been on a parenting forum then? :)
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Hell hath no fury like a sanctimommy looking for validation.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member

Lol. Parenting forums are awful!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I am very thankful for these forums. The threads on here that I've read off and on over the year have helped me understand many important things, including:

[*] There are no really "good" or really "bad" foods. There are foods that have more nutritional value for the amount of calories. But it's not "bad" to eat A brownie as long as I stay within my calorie deficit/goal. (note I said "a" brownie, not eat only brownies.)
    [*] I don't need supplements, special food, or appetite suppressants to succeed.
    [*]It is important to track your macros, not just calories, to make sure you are eating a healthy balanced diet.
    [*]Avoid trigger topics such as: sugar, detox, cleanse, jumpstart, juicing, Herbalife, Plexus.

The whole pan is a brownie, right? :D
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    I love the forums, but they really aren't for everyone.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »

Only if you don't cut it ;) Or Gamma/Nana/Noni made it for you (then, it REALLY doesn't count, cuz it's made with love, not calories).
  • slapshotgolf
    slapshotgolf Posts: 163 Member
    It's a buffet of opinions - some stuff is good for you, some not so much. Too much of anything is always bad. Take from the forums what you need, and avoid what you don't like.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member

Right but I was thinking about just . . . not breastfeeding.

And people who do that cosleeping thing are bad parents.

;)
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member

Right but I was thinking about just . . . not breastfeeding.

And people who do that cosleeping thing are bad parents.

;)

I feel like I have PTSD from BabyCenter - this made me twitch.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member

Only if you don't cut it ;) Or Gamma/Nana/Noni made it for you (then, it REALLY doesn't count, cuz it's made with love, not calories).

^THIS. LOL
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member

I'm still trying to master this skill. Sadly I fear I'll have to become a grandma first. They probably give out the secret at the super covert grandma initiation meeting.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited April 2015
    There's no nonsense like that in the Fitness forum, where 99.99% of responses are helpful. And we're lucky there because there are a bunch of very knowledgeable people sharing what they know and they're all very nice - I'd have to work to remember a jerky post.

Anything nutrition-related is going to attract polemic.

If you have any medical issues (especially those involving thyroid, PCOS, anything metabolism related), best advice is to immediately find a group with your issue and stay away from the General forum, because 60% of posters will attribute any issues with weight loss to a lack of willpower or something like that. (Although you will find people with your issues in the Fitness forum and they will be helpful. There ARE very helpful people in the other forums, but it's not as consistent.)