A really bad day

Options

Replies

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    p.s. Hope you're feeling better about yourself today, OP. It's a brand-new day! Every choice is before you. You can make whatever choices you wish. And tomorrow and the next day. :) Hope all is going well!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    gpstreet wrote: »
    However the weather cleared up enough to allow us to spend a couple of hours in the park but I am sure it is difficult to work out calories burnt pushing a child on a swing.

One thing I had to learn early on - don't NOT do something because you can't calculate its calories. I get that you want "credit" for the activity but your body appreciates the movement. I'd also like to gently remind you that you're modeling behavior for your daughter. Please stop being a martyr and eat.

So true. You don't have to understand exactly how many calories you have burned to benefit from movement.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    I hope today is a better day. I go way over (having not planned to do so) every now and then, too. Can't speak for most folks, but I suspect many of us do. It's not what happens once in a blue moon that matters most, it's the small things done consistently and faithfully over and over that add up. As a practical matter, I'm often not too hungry the next day, so nothing wrong with eating light if that's the reason. Punitive restricting, however, just sets the table for the next binge. Best to avoid extremes on both ends. FWIW I too left my 10 year old daughter home alone for an hour or so while running in the neighborhood. Best to you!
  • runnrchic
    runnrchic Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    So far the fast has not been so bad. Have not felt hungry. However I am tucking into a small bowl of vegetable curry soup.

Fasts are not bad if you do them correctly, with a purpose, have already lost most of your weight and have established good eating habits (and no disordered eating). They teach you to recognize hunger and that will you not starve because you don't eat immediately. You will also feel more full in the meals that you eat, so you may be able to feel like going overboard less. I want to lean out a little more so I'm trying the 15hr fast/ 9hr eating, so essentially I skip breakfast. So far it's been working great. It's honestly another means to the same end of calorie deficit, but you see food in a new way and practice some major discipline.
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Okay, so here is some simple math. There are roughly 2,000 steps in a mile. Get yourself a piece of paper and pencil and whenever your daughter is doing her own thing, walk the length of a hallway, or across the room back and forth and write down the number of steps you took before your daughter needs you. You can walk as many miles as you want in your own home. And mix on some sit ups and leg lifts. Grab a book in each hand and do some curls and shoulder reps with them. Get the idea? There really are zero excuses to burn calories if you really want to.
  • gpstreet
    gpstreet Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    new day. Measured my weight after a day of eating curry soup and one of the calorie rich caked I made with my daughter.

Surprised to find my weight had dropped to below 82 kg which is a milestone for me :-)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    did you enjoy it? yes? good.

do you eat like that frequently? no? good.

eat it. log it. move on.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Yesterday was a really bad day for me. Somehow I over indulged in hot cross buns, cheese sandwiches and beer. A couple of thousand calories over my limit. I am off work for two weeks so I have no chance to do my usual 20 mile cycle ride. Just wondered if anyone else has had these kind of days ? My thoughts have turned to fasting today to see if it will turn things round.

Explain "somehow"

And why can't you do your bike ride or similar

This in the nano seconds it took me to read it. Its about mindset. I cant see whats to stop you doing 2x as much or going a different route. Stop creating obstacles for yourself and be a winner. Get healthy. Dp some weights whilst you are at it.

A couple of thousand calories is nothing if you are doing 20 mile rides every day. Fast if you want to but uts a bit dramatic for someone who doesnt need it or is capable of burning it off in oher ways. restriction, especially if you dont wish to is dull.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Wow how times have changed. I was getting myself up and ready for school when I was 6. Then walking all the way there by myself. Teach your 10 year old to ride a bike... unless there's other reasons she can't learn or be left alone for an hour or two. If so, sorry.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Ahh i see it changed and you now decided to tell us you are with child.
    1. Find someone to babysit or take care of the child for an hour i.e cnat they go to a friends?
    2. You can exercise in front of the TV doing a workout.
    3. You can go and do an activity with your kid, swimming, skating, biking, walking.

ps horrified by people saying leave the child alone. In this country its an offence to leave a ten year old alone and you would be in trouble with social services as well as the police.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    1. Find someone to babysit or take care of the child for an hour i.e cnat they go to a friends?
    3. You can go and do an activity with your kid, swimming, skating, biking, walking.

ps horrified by people saying leave the child alone. In this country its an offence to leave a ten year old alone and you would be in trouble with social services as well as the police.

Which country is that? I seriously doubt any country has such laws

In the UK, and from your terminology that's where it sounds like you're talking about, children go to secondary school at 11 and generally make the journey alone.

So how would they grow the independence to do that? Do they suddenly hit 11 and be capable of making a 3 mile journey on their own to school?

My 14 year old has been cycling 3 miles to school, through London for the last 3 years, before that he walked / got the bus. My 10 year old will be making a similar, but different, journey by bus in 6 months time. How could they do this without learning independence in small steps.

Any child must to be allowed to learn how to be alone / manage. Although I assume from what GP has said his daughter has special needs which change this timeline.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

Which country is that? I seriously doubt any country has such laws

In the UK, and from your terminology that's where it sounds like you're talking about, children go to secondary school at 11 and generally make the journey alone.

So how would they grow the independence to do that? Do they suddenly hit 11 and be capable of making a 3 mile journey on their own to school?

My 14 year old has been cycling 3 miles to school, through London for the last 3 years, before that he walked / got the bus. My 10 year old will be making a similar, but different, journey by bus in 6 months time. How could they do this without learning independence in small steps.

Any child must to be allowed to learn how to be alone / manage. Although I assume from what GP has said his daughter has special needs which change this timeline.

Exactly. My kids were independent, reliable and trustworthy from a young age. I've seen how coddled kids turn out. I refused to send my now adult kids into the world like that....
    Also there's no such law in Australia.

• josul75
    josul75 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    No way would I leave a 10 year old child home alone for an hour. Sure, I'd pop to the shop across the road, but most 10 year olds just aren't emotionally mature enough to handle possible emergencies when a parent is gone for that length of time.
    Like others have said, I would take your child for a walk with you, unless she is ill, in which case, you can workout at home. Your child might even enjoy doing the workouts with you - mine do!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Some days are diamonds, some days are coal - John Denver
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    But you should be able to...that's down to your fear, not their abilities and as a parent you need to teach them how to cope
  • Christine_72
    edited April 2015
    Options
    But you should be able to...that's down to your fear, not their abilities and as a parent you need to teach them how to cope

Are you reading my mind woman!!?? :D

• Darthlance714
    Darthlance714 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Was craving donuts bought a bag, with about three donuts left realized it was not as good as I thought it would be, it was about 1200 calories to late
  • gpstreet
    gpstreet Posts: 184 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Leaving a child alone depends upon the child I believe. A 15 year old is technically a child right ? You know your child and know if they will be fine or not. I am coming to the conclusion that the odd bad day is not so bad. Just not to make it a habit.
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    It's just one bad day, log it and move on!!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Be very careful with the fasting if you are planning to do it. It could easily turn into a bad thing if you do it as a form of punishment. I do it, but I do it as a part of a system that works for me, no guilt involved. Maybe it's best to work on your feelings and reactions to food, it will help you a lot with both weight loss and maintenance.