Bread (grain)? bad/good for you? replacing it? question.

Options
GuddaB
GuddaB Posts: 30 Member
I´m very picky person when it comes to food, so I have very limited on what I do eat.. and Ive come to get this "disgusted feeling" after eating certain foods like milk products.
Never been a big meat eater either, so despite feeling disgusted by some grain products i feel kind of "addicted" to them since they´re easy to grab and I can actually eat it.
I get very easily tired of food in general so yea i guess there's a connection here.
Now with my thyroid problems and all I know that bread can be healthier with the right choices but.. I want to get rid of it. for some time to see if it has anything to do with my extra weight gain.

**Although I´m having a hard time stopping me from consuming grains such as bread.. Any of you struggled with the same thing, and how did you overcome this? Anything you felt you could replace it with and get the same satisfaction?

Me personally I´m trying to make some smoothies recently without any luck.

Replies

• bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    what's wrong with bread/grains? i recently started thyroid medication for an underactive thyroid and i still consume these foods and have lost weight while consuming them.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking there are no "bad" foods. This is not to say that the only thing that matters is calories - clearly you need a balanced diet to get all the nutrients your body needs.

Barring health issues, the only reason why people tend to think certain foods are bad for them is because they are high in calories or they are so tasty that they can't control themselves from eating them.

As long as you are eating a calorie deficit, you can eat bread. I normally eat two sandwiches a day with Publix Honey Wheat bread for 280 of my 1770 daily calories.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I cut down on bread and added more whole grains like brown rice, quinoa, barley, oats, bulgur wheat and kasha. I do still eat bread but it's not my go-to grain choice anymore.

When I want a sandwich, I usually use a high fiber wrap instead of bread. Except for grilled cheese and pbj. Those don't work as well on a wrap IMO.
  • r5d5
    r5d5 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with bread or grains, unless you're gluten intolerant or have some other medical reason for avoiding grains. Grains are good for you in moderate amounts, like every other food item. KEEP THE GRAINS :)
    If you have one you like, and it doesn't bring up adverse reactions to it, then keep it in your diet.
    Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit, not from eliminating specific foods.
    Of course talk to your doctor about how to best manage your thyroid condition.
    Best wishes to you!!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    GuddaB wrote: »
    I´m very picky person when it comes to food, so I have very limited on what I do eat.. and Ive come to get this "disgusted feeling" after eating certain foods like milk products.
    Never been a big meat eater either, so despite feeling disgusted by some grain products i feel kind of "addicted" to them since they´re easy to grab and I can actually eat it.
    I get very easily tired of food in general so yea i guess there's a connection here.
    Now with my thyroid problems and all I know that bread can be healthier with the right choices but.. I want to get rid of it. for some time to see if it has anything to do with my extra weight gain.

**Although I´m having a hard time stopping me from consuming grains such as bread.. Any of you struggled with the same thing, and how did you overcome this? Anything you felt you could replace it with and get the same satisfaction?

When you say disgusted feeling, do you mean a physical sensation or an emotional one?
  • mjfred2
    mjfred2 Posts: 11
    Options
    Would you like a simple smoothie recipe?
  • GuddaB
    Options
    Idk for me , my medication hasn't worked for me, and ive noticed that the less bread ive eaten the less i likely to add easy kgs , and personally my thyroid medication has done nothing for me and only gotten worse, so you´re very lucky @bellaa_x0 , but congrats for loosing weight! :)

But yea i know bread isn't that unhealthy as i tried to say , i mean there are always healthier choices but just wondering if people have seen differences in removing them. Idk I´m confusing myself a lot haha So i apologize but I appreciate The information from you all! :D

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I mostly use high fiber/protein wraps now instead of sandwiches.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I drop grains from time to time, but mainly because I don't really care about them, so they seem like wasted calories for me. I don't feel any better without them, personally.

For similar feeling, maybe other starchy carbs like potatoes and sweet potatoes?

Grains aren't really a great sub for milk/meat because those are good protein sources and grains have some protein but not that much. Are you getting a balanced diet with enough protein and fat? If not maybe try something with more protein like beans as a replacement for some of the grains? (Or do a combo like the traditional rice and beans?)

Hard to say as your diary isn't open.
  • GuddaB
    edited April 2015
    Options

When you say disgusted feeling, do you mean a physical sensation or an emotional one?

And I´m not sure If its an emotional one or physical.. >< IT´s just when i eat certain food , its like.. I´m not disgusted like..about to gag, more like..simply wish i could simply get rid of it, out of my system.. but.. Feel like its the mix of the two?
    Idk It´s weird O_o
  • GuddaB
    Options
    mjfred2 wrote: »
    Would you like a simple smoothie recipe?
    Oh yea that would be lovely :) thanks.

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

And I´m not sure If its an emotional one or physical.. >< IT´s just when i eat certain food , its like.. I´m not disgusted like..about to gag, more like..simply wish i could simply get rid of it, out of my system.. but.. Feel like its the mix of the two?
    Idk It´s weird O_o

It sounds a bit worrisome to me, especially since you follow up with feeling "tired of food." Like maybe a bit disordered? I'm not really qualified to say, it just threw up a bit of a red flag for me.

There's no reason that you have to eat bread, meat, or dairy, although you may find it hard to get enough calories and protein without them. If I were going to replace bread I might look into other starches like couscous, potatoes, quinoa, rice, etc.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and find it difficult to lose weight. I find that I have to eat much less than the average person if I want to lose weight. I take medication, but find that the best thing for me to lose weight is to restrict my carb intake. At first I tried cutting out wheat, sugar and milk, and that led to eating a gluten free paleo diet. But my weight loss stalled and I felt that I could feel better yet. So after New Years 2015, I eliminated all grains including gluten free grains, and upped my fat intake. I now follow a primal keto diet, or LCHF, and it keeps me energized and I am losing weight again.

If you are interested in learning more, there are great folks over at the MFP Low Carber Daily forum.
  • countrymaster
    Options
    If you are hypothyroid then you need to eat carbs. Your body need's carbs to convert T4 into T3 in your thyroid. So maybe not excessive amounts of carbs but at least enough for the conversion to take place and supply you with energy for daily life. A ketogenic diet is not a good idea (medically) for somone with a thyroid problem. It has even been suggested that a very low carb or nil carb diet can cause hypothyroidism.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Idk It´s weird O_o

That's a bit worrisome sounding to me. I remember seeing a report somewhere on the news about nutrition therapists who work with kids with issues like this. In fact, there's one in the office with my son's gastroenterologist, she also sees adults. The last time we were visiting, there was a man there, he came with a bag of different containers of food.

Maybe you can see if you can find someone similar in your area?

• FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Idk for me , my medication hasn't worked for me, and ive noticed that the less bread ive eaten the less i likely to add easy kgs , and personally my thyroid medication has done nothing for me and only gotten worse, so you´re very lucky @bellaa_x0 , but congrats for loosing weight! :)

But yea i know bread isn't that unhealthy as i tried to say , i mean there are always healthier choices but just wondering if people have seen differences in removing them. Idk I´m confusing myself a lot haha So i apologize but I appreciate The information from you all! :D
    Did you just start on Tyroid medication ? Reason I ask is that it can take a while to regulate your medication before you are on the right dose. Also, there are many meds out there so your doctor might need to switch you to a different brand as well. It took a while before I was finally I the right dose and brand of Tyroid medication, and now I only need to have my levels checked yearly. Don't give up.
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with bread, or other grains, unless you have a legit intolerance to them. That being said, I rarely eat bread anymore as I really struggle to eat it in moderation and not just gorge myself on the entire loaf. I love bread and know that if I allow myself to eat it on a regular basis, I will eat too much of it and it is all I will want to eat. It just is a recipe for me to be constantly over my calories, and eating an unbalanced diet. That is just me, and my issues though. Instead of a sandwich at lunch, I might have a jacket potato full of cottage cheese, or have my chili over rice, instead of a bread bowl (that is a half loaf lol). If you want some good food ideas, maybe check out some Slimming World recipes as they have a lot of potato/rice/non-bread meal ideas.

I'd also suggest, like a previous poster said, that if you have a lot of issues with foods (that do sound emotional) that it might be a good idea to talk to someone about that. If it is just you not liking a few things, that is normal, but if you have a lot of things that cause a strong reaction, to the point where it is disruptive to your life, you need to see someone to discuss that as there is likely deeper things going on.

• katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    Options

carbs and cheese were always my weakness, and why I became a great baker lol. a lot of processed breads are bad because they are enriched and have added sugars, really it's better to make yourself which is so easy. the sugars can be addictive.
    If you like sweet do you like sweet potatos? they are nice and filling and provide wonderful nutrients that won't be "bad fillers"
  • alliesgettinghealthy
    alliesgettinghealthy Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with grains. Unless you have Celiac disease there isn't any reason to cut them out. The reason you probably gain less weight when you eat less bread is because your overall caloric intake is lower. I know that when I went gluten free after being diagnosed with celiac disease I gained 25 pounds, my mother was also diagnosed with celiac disease and she gained 20 pounds after going gluten free. If it isn't medically necessary for you to not eat grains I don't see any reason why you would have to cut them out. :smile: