Low to no carb

Options
hi I'm looking to meet some people that are losing weight through low to no carbing. Any pointers or recipes? Having trouble getting a handle on this weightloss. Thanks.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Join the group http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

I don't personally believe in low carb as it doesn't work long term for me cos I can't stick to it for life
  • sandyskw1967
    sandyskw1967 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I personally like lower carb, it helps with my cravings which is the biggest part for me. I could eat great all day and if I have carb snack in the evening, I could end up wanting to eat the fridge. I don,t have the same cravings if I keep my carbs down. Lost 52 so far. I eat low carb breakfast and lunch, if I want carbs I keep it to dinner only ( read a book that suggests this meal plan) you can have your dessert and or alcohol with dinner if you like. The plan requires no calorie counting but I choose to keep track on MFP and I want to make sure my calories are not to high.
  • Arch155
    Arch155 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    How about Keto, http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1494-reddit-keto
    I lost 60+ lbs doing Keto, and sandyskw1967's right about the cravings, I'm keeping it under 20 gs of carb a day. No cravings what so ever. Awsome!
  • pcantale
    pcantale Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice. I have great things about low carbing and I need to try asap. What is the difference between no carb and Keto ? 52 and 60 pound weight loss is amazing. Great job both of you.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I don't think no carb is possible. .. Low carb, yes. No carb, no :wink:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    pcantale wrote: »
    hi I'm looking to meet some people that are losing weight through low to no carbing. Any pointers or recipes? Having trouble getting a handle on this weightloss. Thanks.

Low carb and keto diets create fat loss the same as any other diet...
  • Acg67
    Options
    CICO15 wrote: »
    Acg67 wrote: »

What don't you understand about the posters stating their cravings were diminished with a low-carb or keto diet? Had they chosen a low-fat diet (fortunately debunked within the last few years) they probably would have failed.

Fantastic logic, what if they raised their protein intake and that was what kept them satiated and it wasn't the lower carbs?

Please post all the debunking of low fat diets, thx
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    No carb does not exist.

In my mind there is low low low carb, low low carb, low carb and moderate carb.

Low low low is about 5 - 20, etc.. I tried around 80 and hated it. I am back to 110 - 140 and performing better during exercise and not dragging my rear end around. It did it for 3 weeks and we ruled this out so we could eat like we would normally in order to adhere to a realistic and consistent way of eating in the future.
  • pcantale
    pcantale Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think that's what I need is the under 20 carbs. I am going to do some research about it and figure out a meal plan and shopping list. I know it's going to be extremely hard but with hypothyroid and my levels being unbalanced it's hard to lose. I tried low fat, low calorie and it never worked. I did the atkins 3 years ago and lost a lot but this time it just doesn't seem to be working and I feel so confused. I just need to focused. Thanks all
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    "CICO15 wrote: »
    fortunately debunked within the last few years
    Actually no it hasn't. The headlines and spin may have said that but the science hasn't

• isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    double

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

What don't you understand about the posters stating their cravings were diminished with a low-carb or keto diet? Had they chosen a low-fat diet (fortunately debunked within the last few years) they probably would have failed.

Fantastic logic, what if they raised their protein intake and that was what kept them satiated and it wasn't the lower carbs?

What is it with all these guys with selfies of their bodies? They always have the same comment.

There is something called Google. Do your own research.

I don't care how they did it. If you limit yourself to 1,500 calories or whatever number of calories, find the way that works best for you. And many people succeed with high-fat, low-carb diets.

If a high-protein diets work for people, great.

If a low-fat high carb diet works, great. But I don't hear too many successes with that approach.

What is the big deal?

Confirmation bias doesn't allow it
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

So then why not refer her to the information she wants? Or pass the thread by.

OP: you were given a link to the low carb group. I'd suggest going there. There are primers, recipes, and lots of helpful folks.
  • Acg67
    Options

What is it with all these guys with selfies of their bodies? They always have the same comment.

There is something called Google. Do your own research.

I don't care how they did it. If you limit yourself to 1,500 calories or whatever number of calories, find the way that works best for you. And many people succeed with high-fat, low-carb diets.

If a high-protein diets work for people, great.

If a low-fat high carb diet works, great. But I don't hear too many successes with that approach.

What is the big deal?

Burden of proof is on the claim maker.

What if I did my research and know you're making things up, thus asking for you to prove your claim

You're the one making ridiculous claims, don't then say Google it
  • Acg67
    Options

So then why not refer her to the information she wants? Or pass the thread by.

OP: you were given a link to the low carb group. I'd suggest going there. There are primers, recipes, and lots of helpful folks.

I did give her information she wants

"Having trouble getting a handle on this weightloss"

I directly answered that low carb works the same as every diet, therefore if you can't get a handle on weightloss perhaps make sure you're in a caloric deficit?
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Just being in a calorie deficit does not guarantee weight loss. If it did, we could all eat fast food and junk and be skinny. Do your research and you will find that the calorie deficit = weight loss has been debunked.
  • Acg67
    Options
    Just being in a calorie deficit does not guarantee weight loss. If it did, we could all eat fast food and junk and be skinny. Do your research and you will find that the calorie deficit = weight loss has been debunked.

Oh it has? And there are plenty of people that eat fast food and "junk" and in great shape and/or skinny, so there goes that stupid claim