Pointless exercise

Options
I am going to get straight to the point. Exercise, for the sake of it, is pointless.

Going to a gymn is a waste of time and money. You pay all that money to torture yourself in the hope you sculpture the perfect physique only to be tortured into submission and disappointment.

You jog or run round the block only to find yourself tired and going round in circles.

I have a mind set that will only do something if it has a purpose.

I therefore ask you for suggestions for exercise that has a use. For example I have the following :-
1) cycling to work - because it saves you money and gives you the freedom.
2) Taking on an allotment - lots of varied exercise in the form of shifting and digging. You come away with fresh vegetables.

Looking for other ideas.

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    cool story, bro
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Um...my exercise has a point. Thanks though.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I love jogging at night calms the mind makes me feel free. ... but ugh ya.... maybe join a team? Not gonna lie what u said came across very...odd
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Be a lumberjack?

Sorry, I think exercise is vital to my health and well being.
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    What Saavine_Stroe says.....the point of exercise is to keep your body healthy and everything in it working efficiently....isn't it?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    gpstreet wrote: »
    I am going to get straight to the point. Exercise, for the sake of it, is pointless.

Going to a gymn is a waste of time and money. You pay all that money to torture yourself in the hope you sculpture the perfect physique only to be tortured into submission and disappointment.

You jog or run round the block only to find yourself tired and going round in circles.

I therefore ask you for suggestions for exercise that has a use. For example I have the following :-
    2) Taking on an allotment - lots of varied exercise in the form of shifting and digging. You come away with fresh vegetables.

Looking for other ideas.

Riiiiiiiiiiight :huh:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    kjurassic wrote: »
    What Saavine_Stroe says.....the point of exercise is to keep your body healthy and everything in it working efficiently....isn't it?

Why is that important?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Go and troll somewhere else.
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    What if the point of going to the gym is to improve mental health? Plenty of people use exercise as a way to relax, or to ensure that they have some time to themselves. For that purpose alone, it is definitely not "pointless".

For example, I have chronic pain issues after a cervical spine injury that I had. By exercising, I've found a way to feel more in control of my body, which is priceless to me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    gpstreet wrote: »

Subjective. All that "torture" built myself a physique that I didn't have as a youngster. I was too small and frail to play sports effectively. Not so now.
    Or you jog because you enjoy being outdoors and from cardio benefit.
    Lifting weights and exercise DO have a purpose.............to enhance health and fitness.
    Unless of course your work is more than 5 miles away. While you may save money, you're not saving time.

Looking for other ideas.
    Again subjective since some don't have gardening room nor want to get dirty doing it.

If you don't like general exercise, by all means find a way to increase your NEAT, but to claim that exercise is POINTLESS, is being disingenuous.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights and taking walks relax me and challenge me in a way that I find enjoyable. They've improved my health and my appearance, something that I enjoy as well as my husband. To me, that's not pointless. So my answers are: lift weights and walk.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Because getting older sucks. I use exercise to improve my functional capacity and build lean muscle mass. When I’m 105 I want to be able to wipe my own butt. So, yes, for me exercise has a point.

I’ll agree with you at one level, burning calories just to burn calories is a waste. Especially if you struggle to buy good food. I’d rather see someone not do cardio for calorie burn and eat a reasonable, good food diet. Than burn hundreds of calories and be forced to eat crap to stay fueled.
  • bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    Options
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    3/10
  • rosaphene2
    rosaphene2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't ever say exercise is pointless, people have different reasons for doing it. I have a stressful job and exercise is a positive outlet for all that frustration, not to mention I exercise to get strong and healthier.

Do you mean that you think it's pointless to do an activity unless it has an additional purpose to getting fit?

If that's the case household chores can burn a few calories and you get a tidy house
    Walk to the shops a couple of times a week instead of one large trip in the car, you may end up spending less and throwing out less food that has gone off

There's lots of things you can do to be active which getting fit is just an additional bonus
  • adwilliams03
    adwilliams03 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    It's not April Fool's Day :p
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    someone clearly hates being able to do physically demanding things..clearly the OP is lazy. Pathetic to just label the gym as pointless when some people genuinely enjoy pushing their bodies and improving physically as well as mentally.

If you want to know some of the uses I have benefited from building strength and endurance here are a few...

Don't get winded or tired going up stairs
    Can carry a lot of weight without much struggle
    Genuinely feel happier and relaxed

It has a purpose, you're just too blind to see it with your so called "mindset".
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    You obviously have a view of something having a point that is purely in terms of the physical results of what you do rather than it effects on you. For me exercise keeps my body healthy and strong, it works to keep me emotionally stable, and more. I would not trade any of that because the utilitarian value doesn't seem obvious.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It's not April Fool's Day :p

Why restrict foolishness to one day?