People On MyFitnessPal-Vent

1356

Replies

  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    I just wanted to point out the fact that most people come here for positive feed back.
    < snip>
    , who just have simple questions & get disrespected by people who don't even know what their talking about.

    Is judging other people's views as " not knowing what they are talking about ". Because you may disagree with them the sort of positive feedback you have to offer ? Seems hypocritical to me.

    For instance when I brought up the book. People had no idea what if was about but yet had so much to say. I do t see anything hypocritical about that.

    Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it isn't.
    In fact it is very hypocritical. You have no idea if they read it or have any knowledge of it. Just because they don't engage you on the books content doesn't mean they don't have any idea what it is about.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,627 Member
    I kinda see your point OP, people here seem to hate any fad diet, yet are all over how awesome the pop tarts for 47 days thread....seems weird to me, but what do I know?

    eating poptarts every day as part of an overall, well-balanced diet =/= anything close to fad diets, so uh... not sure why that would even get compared to this.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Come on, why are we having a mean people thread on Easter? ffs.

    Well, since it's Easter......has anyone ever heard of the diet where you have a long-eared animal hide your food every night? If you don't find the food, obviously you're going to eat less, and even if you do find the food, you've probably burned a lot of calories looking for it! It seems like a win-win! Who's with me?

  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    edited April 2015
    It may take some getting used to for you, but has been mentioned time and time again people around here are blunt when it comes to their responses. I don't reply to threads often at all but i do read a good deal of them during my spare time, and i have seen a few people who are rather hostile and cruel. They account for about .05% of the users on here though, and the rest of the community is here to genuinely support you, and provide you with empirically supported information to help you on your journey to fitness and health.

    Life - as hard as it may be - isn't all about positivity and reinforcement. Sometimes it means taking the harder of paths for things well worth it. If we only expect to hear what we want to hear, we're never going to grow. If you come onto MFP - or really into life in general - with a confirmation bias, you're not going to get very far. Having a flexible mind and expanding your horizons, you learn. It's not easy, but it separates you from the people who don't go far in life, the people who don't make it far with their goals, etc.

    Yes, detox programs do exist, and yes they are a load of crap. You know why? Because your body has it's own 'detox systems' in place - or else you would have ceased to exist (a lot of your organ systems are wonderful when it comes to ridding your body of toxins - or else you would have dropped dead a long time ago - especially if you've ever consumed a drop of alcohol)!

    I know it's hard, but let down your defenses and try to re-frame things so that you don't perceive the people here who are disagreeing with you as people who are "attacking" you. Yes somebody made a sarcastic comment or two (which i found funny but that's just me), but thus far i've seen plenty of people who have genuinely given you feedback about how the community operates, and tips as to how you may go about utilizing the forums a bit better as well as having a more healthy journey. Again - i know it's hard to re-frame your thinking and to be a bit more flexible - but it is possible, and it is worth it. Each and every one of us here had to start somewhere, and i'd care to gander that most of us are speaking from our own experiences/compassion when we make these comments - we're not here to be cruel, or hostile. We're here to try to help, but you can't be surprised when people grow frustrated by answering the same questioned (not rooted in empirical evidence by any means) over and over again.

    Feel free to add me as a friend as i have no problem in helping you with this (i know that i do tend to be a bit more on the empathetic side), but i am still honest and i won't tell you what you want to hear. You deserve health and wellness.
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Come on, why are we having a mean people thread on Easter? ffs.

    Well, since it's Easter......has anyone ever heard of the diet where you have a long-eared animal hide your food every night? If you don't find the food, obviously you're going to eat less, and even if you do find the food, you've probably burned a lot of calories looking for it! It seems like a win-win! Who's with me?

    I like this one!
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Come on, why are we having a mean people thread on Easter? ffs.

    Well, since it's Easter......has anyone ever heard of the diet where you have a long-eared animal hide your food every night? If you don't find the food, obviously you're going to eat less, and even if you do find the food, you've probably burned a lot of calories looking for it! It seems like a win-win! Who's with me?

    Do ferrets count? Wait, he's not long eared... maybe I can glue something to old franks head. hmmm
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    adamitri wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Come on, why are we having a mean people thread on Easter? ffs.

    Well, since it's Easter......has anyone ever heard of the diet where you have a long-eared animal hide your food every night? If you don't find the food, obviously you're going to eat less, and even if you do find the food, you've probably burned a lot of calories looking for it! It seems like a win-win! Who's with me?

    Do ferrets count? Wait, he's not long eared... maybe I can glue something to old franks head. hmmm

    I don't think a ferret would work. There's something about the length of the ears of the animals that makes them really good a hiding food, thereby making the diet more effective.

    It's all been proven by like science and stuff. I think Dr. Oz is going to talk about it on his show next week, so you know it's legit.

  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    adamitri wrote: »
    Oh people are going to have fun with this. Just warning u! Honestly whatever u might post about there are some who may come across blunt or even a bit mean. Its an open forum so thats how it goes. Its more because mfp is about calorie counting ...not other diets.

    This. Sorry that you may not want to hear that something doesn't work or it might not be beneficial to do because it doesn't help in the long term. This is an open forum so you will get negative and positive answers. And, there should be nothing wrong with that because you should open yourself up to both perspectives.

    Its not that it's disappointing or hard to hear. I LOVE hearing the truth on how things worked out for people. My problem is, people on here are treating me like an idiot for just asking. They aren't even saying "aw, this didn't work for me." They're basically saying "shut up. We don't care. No one wants to hear this."

    No. I've seen your threads. You post about fad diets and always get offended and upset when people are honest and tell you the truth about them. MFP is not about supporting unhealthy weight loss, it's about supporting healthy weight loss.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,131 Member
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Come on, why are we having a mean people thread on Easter? ffs.

    Well, since it's Easter......has anyone ever heard of the diet where you have a long-eared animal hide your food every night? If you don't find the food, obviously you're going to eat less, and even if you do find the food, you've probably burned a lot of calories looking for it! It seems like a win-win! Who's with me?
    ideas.jpeg
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Dell2u wrote: »
    If there is only positive feed back how will you know if something is a good idea or not. It's the balance of positive and negative feed back that gives perspective on a subject.

    It is actually quite childish to want only positive reinforcement.

    Wow people. I don't know that her issue was with the negative feedback as much as the way in which it was presented. She is 19 years old......

    I was an officer in the military leading 60+ troops at age 19. What is your point? 19 is an adult, not an infant.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Please don't go on a fad diet. I have tried many and it is just a waste of time and does havoc on your body. I have lost 36 pounds using the calorie count and portion control method. It works and you can still enjoy eating your favorite foods in moderation. Of course, it would be a wonderful world if everyone were nice and supportive, but its not real life, unfortunately.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,684 Member
    Dell2u wrote: »
    If there is only positive feed back how will you know if something is a good idea or not. It's the balance of positive and negative feed back that gives perspective on a subject.

    It is actually quite childish to want only positive reinforcement.

    Wow people. I don't know that her issue was with the negative feedback as much as the way in which it was presented. She is 19 years old......

    I was an officer in the military leading 60+ troops at age 19. What is your point? 19 is an adult, not an infant.

    In Canada?

    Ugh, I hate myself already but can't resist.....
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    I just wanted to point out the fact that most people come here for positive feed back. I like to seek information from other peoples personal experiences. People keep saying "shut up & do the work. No quick fixes." Okay, I'm obviously doing work already. Do you all think I just sit around and make threads , waiting of a quick fix? NO! I work my a** off everyday. Its not against fitness pals rules to ask questions. If I want to know what other people have tried. I WILL ASK. If I try it, its up to me. I don't need negative, annoying people giving feedback about how I'm annoying them. If you clearly seen the discussion title was something you don't like, you should've not read it. There are so many rude, arrogant, people on here,and its really sad and discouraging to people like me, who just have simple questions & get disrespected by people who don't even know what their talking about.


    You're *still* not gonna make it without that attitude adjustment, right?
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    She's 19, not 9. She should be able to hear the cold hard truth about things.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,484 Member
    BINGO!! ;)
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Dell2u wrote: »
    If there is only positive feed back how will you know if something is a good idea or not. It's the balance of positive and negative feed back that gives perspective on a subject.

    It is actually quite childish to want only positive reinforcement.

    Wow people. I don't know that her issue was with the negative feedback as much as the way in which it was presented. She is 19 years old......

    I was an officer in the military leading 60+ troops at age 19. What is your point? 19 is an adult, not an infant.

    In Canada?

    Ugh, I hate myself already but can't resist.....

    Yup
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,684 Member
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Dell2u wrote: »
    If there is only positive feed back how will you know if something is a good idea or not. It's the balance of positive and negative feed back that gives perspective on a subject.

    It is actually quite childish to want only positive reinforcement.

    Wow people. I don't know that her issue was with the negative feedback as much as the way in which it was presented. She is 19 years old......

    I was an officer in the military leading 60+ troops at age 19. What is your point? 19 is an adult, not an infant.

    In Canada?

    Ugh, I hate myself already but can't resist.....

    Yup

    :)
This discussion has been closed.