whole milk, low fat or non-fat??

Options
Im really confused as I've heard so many things about what milk is best for weight loss.
I drink 200/300ML a day mostly in tea and coffee. which do you guys think is best is I want to lose weight and why is it better?

Replies

• Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I hate milk. I go with unsweetened almond milk. :)
  • hsmith0930
    hsmith0930 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I use half and half in my coffee. If I have milk in cereal it's 1% because that's what we get the kids.
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Which do you like better?
    Are you willing to fit it in your cals?

You have answered your question.
  • Kara52217
    Kara52217 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    If I drink milk it is Skim (non Fat) but In our house we drink Almond milk. It takes getting used to at first but honestly I can't hardly choke down cows milk anymore.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I drink 1% because skim is to watery imo. You should drink whatever you like, as long as you stay within your macro goals, one won't "help" more than the other in losing weight
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Drink whatever you like.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The one you like the best. All that matters is that you consume less than you burn. If I need milk, I use 2%, just as I have for my entire life.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Depends on the use. Hot chocolate and baking I use whole, for breakfast I do soy milk, and for straight up drinking I like 2%. Eat what you like and drink what you like if you can fit it in your calories and not binge.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    The one you like the best. All that matters is that you consume less than you burn. If I need milk, I use 2%, just as I have for my entire life.

+1 (could not have said it better myself).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Really, whatever you like better.

Some people find full fat dairy more satiating, so for them that works better (especially if they prefer it). I've experimented and found no real difference in terms of how satisfying it is for me--I get hungry no later if I substitute full fat dairy--so I tend to use 0-2% depending on whether I find the 2% tastier. (I don't really use milk, though, I'm talking about yogurt and cottage cheese.) For me lower fat is convenient because it's a great source of protein without also adding lots of fat. (I get fat elsewhere in forms that are more satisfying to me.)
  • Belle8312
    Belle8312 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid, we drank whole milk. When I got a little older, it was 2%. Since I've been on my own, and as an adult, it's non-fat.
    I drink non fat, but to me that is a preference. I don't drink it because it's lower in calories or "non-fat". I drink it because I like the taste.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Either full fat or 2% as rule, although I also use almond milk sometimes because I like it.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I dont drink milk in my coffee.
    But i use all of them, it all depends what fits in my calorie allowance that day.

for some menu's i prefer full milk so i make it all fit.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Personally, i grew up on skim and anything over 1% taste nasty. And for me it doesn't matter as I get plenty of fat in my diet. So I do skim with my protein shakes.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    I have unsweetened cashew milk with my coffee and cereal, I love it and it's 25 calories per 1 cup :)
  • KateO_o
    KateO_o Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    thanks guys i usually drink fat free milk because its whats always in the house so ill stick to that. i was just wondering about the higher sugar content. I wish i could drink almond milk but I'm allergic to nuts :( thanks for all the responses.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Local whole raw milk. YUM!

• RaidenOmega
    RaidenOmega Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Deena_Bean wrote: »
    I hate milk. I go with unsweetened almond milk. :)

agreed.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I prefer Almond Milk....both for the taste and health benefits.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    KateO_o wrote: »
    thanks guys i usually drink fat free milk because its whats always in the house so ill stick to that. i was just wondering about the higher sugar content. I wish i could drink almond milk but I'm allergic to nuts :( thanks for all the responses.

There is nothing wrong with sugar, especially in the context of milk. And consider that milk has complete proteins (IIRC), which is beneficial. For me, protein > sugar.