Registered Dietitian offering free help

Options
Im new to myfitness pal and i want to help people achieve their goals. I'm a Registered Dietitian and ACSM certified personal trainer. Fill free to ask me questions

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    How do you feel about the ACSM certification? Is it worth the training or prep class?

I have been in contact with them (waiting on getting my cpr/aed updated) to get my certification and schedule my test since it's one of the only certs you can get while living internationally thats recognized in the US and also the EHF (European health foundation).

I am also in the process of becoming a registered dietitian as well. :) How long did that take you? where did you go or receive this education?

I know you are looking for questions more closely related to nutrition and exercise, but figured i'd chime in since im on the same path.

• profjazanu
    Options
    What are the optimal macros for a high protein high fat low carb diet. I'm 80 kg n aboit 180ish cm
  • Eatrightguy
    Eatrightguy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    @rainbowbow I think that the ACSM is the most respected certification for a personal trainer. It took me 5 years to become a registered dietitian. 4 years to get my bachelor's and 1 year to do my internship. I graduated from a University in the US
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    What is the airspeed of an unladen swallow?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

Asking the important questions.
  • rainbowbow
    Options

african or european?
  • tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    ok Eat right guy :) what about IIFYM? don't calories count? I have Osteoarthritis in both knees and can't do a lot of traditional exercises (nothing weight bearing, and no pool near me). What do you suggest? :smiley: I am doing LCHF btw...
  • cydneejae
    cydneejae Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am 41 yo female. 6'2 228 lbs. My goal is to lose 40 lbs, gain lean muscle and get stronger, without losing all of my curves. I have been losing approximately one pound per week. Today, I changed my goals and activity level to sedintary (desk job). My allowed calories went form 1800 to 1361 per day. I workout at least 45 minutes five days of cardio. Does 1300 seem low for my height and weight? Thanks :smile:
  • rainbowbow
    edited April 2015
    Options
    tlmeyn wrote: »
    ok Eat right guy :) what about IIFYM? don't calories count? I have Osteoarthritis in both knees and can't do a lot of traditional exercises (nothing weight bearing, and no pool near me). What do you suggest? :smiley: I am doing LCHF btw...

of course calories count. By "counting macros" or "limiting macros" you are inadvertently counting calories.

protein= 4 calories per gram
    fat = 9 calories per gram
    carbs= 4 calories per gram

Total calories are whats important for weight loss. specific macro goals along with training habits determine body composition.
  • thickerella
    thickerella Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Is it safe to do Keto when trying to get pregnant? Assume a daily prenatal is taken.
  • Eatrightguy
    Eatrightguy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    profjazanu wrote: »
    What are the optimal macros for a high protein high fat low carb diet. I'm 80 kg n aboit 180ish cm

Are you trying to lose weight?
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options

Asking the important questions.

thank goodness you are here to keep us straight...whew
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    cydneejae wrote: »
    I am 41 yo female. 6'2 228 lbs. My goal is to lose 40 lbs, gain lean muscle and get stronger, without losing all of my curves. I have been losing approximately one pound per week. Today, I changed my goals and activity level to sedintary (desk job). My allowed calories went form 1800 to 1361 per day. I workout at least 45 minutes five days of cardio. Does 1300 seem low for my height and weight? Thanks :smile:

YES.
    You're more than likely going to lose muscle eating that low.
    I have a desk job as well but you're not truly sedentary even with a desk job, more than likely lightly active.
    At 5'7", I can slowly lose weight with 1800 cals (which is what I want - I like food and my muscles)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    what are your thoughts on sugar consumption?
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Is it safe to do Keto when trying to get pregnant? Assume a daily prenatal is taken.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2393/13/109
  • rainbowbow
    Options

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2393/13/109

yikes. :worried:
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    What would the correct ignition timing be on a 1955 Bel Air Chevrolet, with a 327 cubic-inch engine and a four-barrel carburetor?
  • thickerella
    thickerella Posts: 154 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    tlmeyn wrote: »

I can help. I'm not a trainer, I'm just disabled. I'm actually working on creating a database of low-impact exercises that can be modified for lower-body disabled folk. Since you can MOVE your legs, there are still a lot of things you can do!

Bicycles - Lay on the ground and spin your legs in the air like you're on a bike for 30sec at a time.

Flutter Kicks - Lay on the ground, legs straight, and move your legs up and down, alternating, in a flutter motion for 30sec at a time.

Russian Twists - Sit on the ground with your knees bent, heels resting on the floor. If you can, raise your heels off the ground. Twist your torso from left to right. You can increase the intensity by holding a weight plate or medicine ball.

Arm Circles - In a sitting or standing position, hold your arms straight out to your sides and draw a circle in the air. First a small one in a forward motion, then a large one. Then reverse and draw a small circle in a reverse motion, then a large one. Then forward again. Then reverse. Repeat!

Side leg lifts - Lay on your side and, legs straight, lift the upper leg as high as you can comfortably, and slowly lower it down. Do 15 reps on each side.

Sitting leg lifts - Sit on the edge of a chair and left one leg off the ground, while your knee is bent, and slowly put it back down. Repeat on each leg 15 times.

I have more! Some were taught to me by a physical therapist, some I learned on my own. Feel free to PM and/or friend me if you are interested.

• rainbowbow
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    What would the correct ignition timing be on a 1955 Bel Air Chevrolet, with a 327 cubic-inch engine and a four-barrel carburetor?

It's a *kitten* question, it's impossible to answer.

Am i just a really lame movie buff?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »

It's a *kitten* question, it's impossible to answer.

Am i just a really lame movie buff?

Does that mean you can't answer the question??

(me too)