Why do people lock their diaries?

Options

Replies

• marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I was in a thread where someone ran a report of another person's (not her friend) macro intake for the past few months. I found that pretty shocking. I guess I shouldn't care about what I eat so much. My diary is open to friends if they care curious.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I was in a thread where someone ran a report of another person's (not her friend) macro intake for the past few months. I found that pretty shocking. I guess I shouldn't care about what I eat so much. My diary is open to friends if they care curious.

I was just about to reference that same thread...a fairly well-known and helpful forum poster had her food diary copy-and-pasted to a thread with a food-by-food nitpicking and an accusation of "you eat terribly, how dare you give anyone advice!"

Joke was on the rude person, though, because the attacked party actually had been eating very healthfully for her stats and needs. But, even if she hadn't been...WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I've had mine referenced in a not so nice way but I don't care if people think it's funny I eat froot loops or that I eat KFC hotwings or that I eat a lot of sugar...I am down 50lbs, healthy and fit so they can take a flying leap and punish themselves and not eat nom nom foods and wonder why they fail esp since most who scrutinize others eating for being "poor" will fail.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

I was just about to reference that same thread...a fairly well-known and helpful forum poster had her food diary copy-and-pasted to a thread with a food-by-food nitpicking and an accusation of "you eat terribly, how dare you give anyone advice!"

Joke was on the rude person, though, because the attacked party actually had been eating very healthfully for her stats and needs. But, even if she hadn't been...WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT

Oh hello there! That person would have been moi! It has since been proven that the copy pasta party LIED about getting reports on my micro consumption. I should have seen it at the time, too. Saying I was low on calcium? Hello? I eat cottage cheese and yogurt every flipping day!

Anyway, whether someone's diary is open or closed is their business. I keep mine public, and a few fellow veggies on my friends list and I creep each others diaries for meal ideas and inspiration. I don't find that creepy in that sort of context. One of my friends got an idea to change her macro balance from looking at my diary.

It doesn't bother me if other people chose to keep their diaries private, except when they come onto threads and need help and won't open them.

It also didn't bother me that someone tried to publicly criticize my intake. I'm old and well past caring what other people think, even if her criticisms had had any merit.

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

Oh hello there! That person would have been moi! It has since been proven that the copy pasta party LIED about getting reports on my micro consumption. I should have seen it at the time, too. Saying I was low on calcium? Hello? I eat cottage cheese and yogurt every flipping day!

Anyway, whether someone's diary is open or closed is their business. I keep mine public, and a few fellow veggies on my friends list and I creep each others diaries for meal ideas and inspiration. I don't find that creepy in that sort of context. One of my friends got an idea to change her macro balance from looking at my diary.

It doesn't bother me if other people chose to keep their diaries private, except when they come onto threads and need help and won't open them.

It also didn't bother me that someone tried to publicly criticize my intake. I'm old and well past caring what other people think, even if her criticisms had had any merit.

We were all quite offended on your behalf, though. ;)
  • Vixenmd1
    Vixenmd1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Was to OP to continue conversation. Just hit reply
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Vixenmd1 wrote: »
    Mine is open to friends but I am not surprised if someone else doesn't want theirs open to anyone. Like I am zero intrest in linking sites like these with my FB and having it annouce that I have lost weight. Pretty sure the random 20 something who worked for me a few years ago doesn't need to know his old boss is trying to drop weight.

Heh, could not agree with this more. The obsession with linking things to FB in general is weird, but then I have such a conflicted relationship with being on FB anyway (which is my issue, obviously).
    People on here I don't mind but that doesn't mean I want non friends looking at my dairy. So cool if you want it open but don't judge or be surprised when others don't.

In that you quoted me I am assuming this is directed to me and am puzzled, since I said nothing to suggest that I want anyone else's profile [edit: meant diary, but profile works too] open or judge or whatever.

If you were directing that to the OP never mind, but you can see why I'd be confused. All I said (kind of jokingly) is that lots of things are more personal than what I eat.
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Vixenmd1 wrote: »
    Becuase they don't feel having total strangers have access to all their personal information. What could be more personal than what you ate during the day. Are you really surprised by that?

I don't disagree with your point, but quite a few things, in fact.

But I mostly eat where others can see me, so don't really think of it as super private.
    [/quote]

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    feesha27 wrote: »
    i'm just curious, because I'm looking to see what people who have successfully lost weight are eating. I have my own solid foundation of what I should and shouldn't be eating, but it gets boring sometimes. Is it something people are afraid to share??

Yours is locked OP. Why?
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

We were all quite offended on your behalf, though. ;)

oh-stop-it-you-meme.jpg

• plutonianfrog
    Options
    Need for privacy, maybe out of embarrassment or a sense elitism, who knows.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Mine isn't technically locked to my friends, I just turned off the notification when I complete my diary for the day, whether they can still see it or not, I don't know. Because I am no longer in weight loss mode, but mostly maintenance while trying to build muscle and track my macros more than actual calories, so I tend to eat the same things every day. My diary would be very very boring to anyone looking at it.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I have it set to show friends but not to show just anyone. This is because unfortunately there are people here who will look at your food choices and then slag you off if they don't like them. Once you build a good friends list you will have plenty to look at for ideas.
  • Vixenmd1
    Vixenmd1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Also I have been a vegan for 25 years when I was young in the late 80's and a waitress I often had to put up with other waitresses standing over me during my lunch break telling me my food was weird or gross since it didn't have meat or dairy in it and being a vegan wasn't common. Let me tell you that was fun. Take aside that it proved that the people who did it skipped manners class having your food criticizied it not fun. Now if you know what I eat it is becuase you are a real life friend or family or a friend on MFP.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open to torture my friends with poor food choices.

Some people get upset when people critique their days' meals. I used to have a friend who would go through my diary and explain what was or was not beneficial to me and what changes I should be making. Heh. That was fun. I guess it depends on how you want to use the site and whether or not your friends are Food Nazis.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Mine is public. I don't care. I will log my chocolate and beer. Although, if I don't complete a day you can bet it probably wasn't one of my finest.

I got a PM once that told me I would lose more weight if I didn't eat snacks (which is funny cause I'm not a big snacker. I loves a big dinner and hello...beer is NOT A SNACK that is just where I log it). I feel like if you want to call out someone's public diary then you should do that *kitten* in public.

I have been known to call out a friend's diary, but usually only if they are way under on calories or complaining they are having awful days and the days look good enough to me. I'm not a nutritionist so it's really not my business for the most part. I'm also not going out of my way to look at a strangers diary.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I don't know why anyone would want to view mine. I don't want (or need) to see anyone else's. In over 3 years of logging, I have never once viewed anyone else's diary. I have been successful (-160#, maintaining @ 130# for 17 months and counting) and a good portion of the success I have had is because of MFP and logging. Because of a couple of "friends" in my first 2 months on MFP, I closed my diary. I had to find what would work for me and educate myself about nutrition and portion sizes. Everyone has the same information available at their fingertips. I don't understand the need for someone else to know what some one else is eating and drinking. What works for one person, may, or may not work for another. What I found out early on here is find out what works for you, and stick with it and you will be successful. The hard part of this is keeping the weight off for more than 5 years, this is where 80% (or more of us) fail, and this is a goal I want to achieve. It is more important to me than actually losing the weight.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Oh yeah, that was funny. And when we pointed out how she criticized you she turned around and claimed that never happened, that how dare we and that we were a bunch of liars. The 2 min later the original post was posted she made and the had nothing to say and disappeared for days. Good times.

Don't forget the doctor and the professor who got added to the story!

Good times indeed.

• fxdl2k2
    fxdl2k2 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Why do people think they have a right to see what other people eat? I don't get this sense of entitlement, or the idea there's something to hide if it is locked up. My food diary is for me to track my food. Be grateful for the open ones, sure, but don't make assumptions about the locked ones.

Agreed.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    Everything made "public" is up to scrutiny, debate and challenge. Especially in cyber space and media forums...

Why give someone edge on my private stuff.. It does seem weird though to let strangers see what you eat and how you exercise every day if the choose to...

When I was kid, I did not want my brother, father or mother (nor my best friend) to know what I wrote in my diary... I guess I still feel the same..

I've read several comments like this- and what I find most odd about this- is why do you think people are digging through your food diary?

I couldn't tell you the last time I looked at someone's diary.

no scratch that. when someone comes into the gaining forum- asks "why can't I gain weight" I go look.

when it's completely blank (it almost always is) I have an answer.
    Otherwise- only time I go look is if someone says they had an epic day- and usually they post a screen shot.

Honestly I rarely look- so I mentally assume no one else does- I was shocked mid argument with someone they said- "oh I've looked your diary- I got some great ideas" I didn't even think of it. I was not offended- just surprised since I never look- I assume few other people to.