Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• Talkradio
    Talkradio Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    shannonbun wrote: »
    AlciaMode wrote: »
    Every time I walk by the road I keep getting catcalled and it makes me feel really uncomfortable and unsafe, especially at night :( it's worse because we don't have a car, so I don't really have a choice. I just want to buy my groceries and books without being harassed. I keep thinking that if I were really skinny again it wouldn't happen.

It will still happen. I hate cat calls. They make me confrontational.

I have a safety cat keychain. It's not much, but it makes me feel a little bit safer. Fits over two fingers with points at the top--better than keys between fingers, if nothing else, and far less dangerous than mace.
    I want one! I always wish I'd brought a knife or a razor blade (sometimes I happen to have them in a bag or my phone or whatever.)
    Food confession: granola is my weakness, which is stupid. It has so many calories. I should know just to not have it in the house, but if I'm upset about eating I'm usually okay with it so I end up with enough calories... ugh.
    Also, tomorrow is my weigh-in day and I'm afraid I'll have gained a lot.

Are there any women's self-defense classes in your area? I hope to God you'll never need them, but learning self-defense techniques and some general safety tips has really increased my confidence in my ability to defend myself. I tend to walk around with the grimmest, fiercest look on my face, and I definitely get called "b!tch" sometimes, but I'll take that over catcalling.
  • bkhamill
    bkhamill Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    Confession: I bought the White Chocolate Dreams peanut butter online. Had to see what all the fuss is about

What'd you think?!

It arrived today. The first taste I thought was okay. The second taste I thought, "hmmm, it is kind of grainy" and it reminded me a bit of cookie butter. Then I tasted again and didn't really taste the white chocolate. And I tasted it again and though it was pretty good with a touch of sweetness. As I was putting it away, I realized that I probably ate about a quarter of a cup. so in conclusion... I really like it!!!!! And I definitely went over my calories :(

Does the dark chocolate dreams taste like peanut butter and chocolate or more like nutella?

(edited for spelling)

I got into mine when I got home from work yesterday and ate 2 servings = 360 calories! I then went for a 5 mile walk to even things out.
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Anxiety disorder confession-

I haven't had a Pap smear since before my three year old was born. Actually since before I got pregnant...like a few years before.

I cannot relax enough to get it done, and I have made several appointments. Sometimes I even get as far as to change into the gown.

As soon as the nurse/doctor comes in My brain goes "RAPE! DANGER! FIRE!!!!" And I am unable to get my feet in the stirrups.

When not on anxiety medication, I have similar experiences doing mundane things, like buying yogurt. (How long have I been in the yogurt section? Too long? Should I just leave? I bet they all think I am some sort of yogurt fetishist. Well now I can't leave without the yogurt....I've come too far!)

That can not be easy, but I am sure you know how important a regular pap smear is. Ps. Screw the people at the super market. I stood in the canned beans section for 20 minutes reading labels on black beans once. They can think I am a bean fetishist all they want... maybe I like to get messy.
  • ladybuggnorris
    ladybuggnorris Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty scared of pap smears myself. I got my first one last year at age 20, and was just so embarrassed and terrified. The worst thing was that he held off on "scraping my uterus" or whatever because I was not yet 21, and told me to come back when I was 21.... a couple months later. Argh, just get that all over with at once :(

Despite my mom's constant reassurance that it's no big deal, it's just so awkward and uncomfortable for me.

My husband and I were both virgins when we met. I have recently found out that this negates the need for pap tests, as I cannot be carrying the HPV virus. It would have been nice if I had learned this before I had 5 or 6 of them, but as long as we are still together, I never have to have another one again!
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    shawnaes91 wrote: »
    Mothers day is coming up. I never ask for anything. I've always felt bad at the idea of it because growing up my mother would make me and her other two kids and actual list on paper of all the things she wanted.

My husband mentioned a week or so ago he wanted to get me something. I just asked him if it would be ok if he would get me a set of kettle bells. I feel really guilty for actually asking for something.

Don't feel guilty! That's an awesome Mother's Day present!

Confession: Last Mother's Day my husband and son bought me a bike from my son (an awesome fixed gear bike), but I had anxiety about having a seizure on it (I have epilepsy) so I made them take it back. I feel guilty about it to this day.
  • kellienw335
    kellienw335 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options

I think she needs serious help...not the kind she's going to find here. Part of me feels bad for her, and the other part is like STFU!
  • kellienw335
    kellienw335 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options
    AlciaMode wrote: »
    Anxiety disorder confession-

I haven't had a Pap smear since before my three year old was born. Actually since before I got pregnant...like a few years before.

I cannot relax enough to get it done, and I have made several appointments. Sometimes I even get as far as to change into the gown.

As soon as the nurse/doctor comes in My brain goes "RAPE! DANGER! FIRE!!!!" And I am unable to get my feet in the stirrups.

When not on anxiety medication, I have similar experiences doing mundane things, like buying yogurt. (How long have I been in the yogurt section? Too long? Should I just leave? I bet they all think I am some sort of yogurt fetishist. Well now I can't leave without the yogurt....I've come too far!)

That can not be easy, but I am sure you know how important a regular pap smear is. Ps. Screw the people at the super market. I stood in the canned beans section for 20 minutes reading labels on black beans once. They can think I am a bean fetishist all they want... maybe I like to get messy.

You're awesome!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Added, my primary care doc has prescribed me Xanax for my next attempt, and suggested I come in a little drunk as well. (With someone to drive me obviously)

Yes. You read that right. Drunk.

I had a similar issue until I was in my mid-30s (irresponsibly just put off the appointment for many years at one point, only to get a horrible result the next visit that turned out to be not as bad as they thought--they were certain I had cancer, and of course I was convinced this was my fault for lots of reasons, including the delay--but involved a follow up with lots of med students watching). I've somehow gotten over it and a lot of my anxiety issues in my 40s, which is fabulous and actually makes being older totally worth it.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting this is that at one point I also got the "maybe if you had a couple drinks first" suggestion.
  • brandi9172
    brandi9172 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty scared of pap smears myself. I got my first one last year at age 20, and was just so embarrassed and terrified. The worst thing was that he held off on "scraping my uterus" or whatever because I was not yet 21, and told me to come back when I was 21.... a couple months later. Argh, just get that all over with at once :(

Despite my mom's constant reassurance that it's no big deal, it's just so awkward and uncomfortable for me.

My husband and I were both virgins when we met. I have recently found out that this negates the need for pap tests, as I cannot be carrying the HPV virus. It would have been nice if I had learned this before I had 5 or 6 of them, but as long as we are still together, I never have to have another one again!

This is not altogether accurate. True, you can't have HPV, but HPV isn't a woman’s only worry.
    http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/pap-test.html#
  • Talkradio
    Options
    I have an uncommon first name, and it makes me SO MAD when people I've known for 10+ years misspell it. Especially on social media. You are looking right at it! Just spell it the right way! It's only five letters long!

I have a lot of secret rage.
  • Talkradio
    Options
    My family is fairly religiously conservative, anything sex related was extremely taboo. Also, my mom is from another country and had an even more conservative upbringing. Fast forward, my first trip to a gyno was when I was 24 and 9 weeks pregnant. And my husband was in the room for my first ever pap smear. Yikes.
  • ladybuggnorris
    ladybuggnorris Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Talkradio wrote: »
    I have an uncommon first name, and it makes me SO MAD when people I've known for 10+ years misspell it. Especially on social media. You are looking right at it! Just spell it the right way! It's only five letters long!

YES! Me too! I think mine is spelled the "normal" way for an uncommon name...also only 5 letters long. Get it right!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    shawnaes91 wrote: »
    Mothers day is coming up. I never ask for anything. I've always felt bad at the idea of it because growing up my mother would make me and her other two kids and actual list on paper of all the things she wanted.

My husband mentioned a week or so ago he wanted to get me something. I just asked him if it would be ok if he would get me a set of kettle bells. I feel really guilty for actually asking for something.

It's hard not to carry over things from our childhood, but you get rid of that guilt right now! You are a mom and deserve mother's day YOUR way without the bad memories attached of things that you could not control. A set of kettle bells will be awesome! Good for you!
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    My family is fairly religiously conservative, anything sex related was extremely taboo. Also, my mom is from another country and had an even more conservative upbringing. Fast forward, my first trip to a gyno was when I was 24 and 9 weeks pregnant. And my husband was in the room for my first ever pap smear. Yikes.

My husband actually helps a bit. He knows how to make me laugh. "You think you've got it bad? I'm next, and I have to get those stirrups backwards!"
  • Talkradio
    Options

YES! Me too! I think mine is spelled the "normal" way for an uncommon name...also only 5 letters long. Get it right!

Oh my, your avatar is theeee cutest!
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @melimomTARDIS, that mac & cheese pizza sounds amazing! I hear you on feeling embarrassed though, even though I think you shouldn't. My husband and I were at Red Lobster for a late lunch (like 3:30 p.m.) and hadn't had breakfast. The waitress kept checking on us and making comments like "oh still powering through?" & "wow! I don't think I've ever seen anyone finish that" & "It's SO good, but I can only eat like a quarter of it".

I was semi-embarrassed but thanks to my PMS, I was mostly muttering obscenities under my breath when she left. Something along the lines of "Say one more thing and I'll shove this entire plate down your throat"... Hubby just thought it was funny. We also got dessert o:)

@shawnaes91, your hubby specifically asked you! No reason to feel guilty, enjoy your present!

Confession: This morning I ran into the store to buy some snacks to stash at the office for when I can't get away. I found some new flavor pop-tarts...which did NOT fit my criteria for healthy snacks to keep for emergency purposes but apparently I couldn't help myself. :blush: I'm torn between leaving them here and taking them home to share with my husband...who admittedly doesn't even like pop tarts soooooo

Edited for wording
  • lemurcat12
    Options

I love this. I have a reasonably common first name (Stephanie) with what I consider one best spelling (mine) and an acceptable alternative (Stefanie), if you forced me to admit that against my will. I can also live with the various "y" at the end spellings, although I don't really like them. However, the second vowel unquestionably and with no exceptions MUST be an "a." For some reason lately I get more misspellings with an "e" there, which is just bizarre, and I have decided to blame the author of that irritating Twilight series (Stephenie Meyer) for perpetuating this offensive and unpleasant error. I rant about this any time the Twilight books and movies are mentioned, such that my friends do it just so they can roll their eyes and mock me.

I am not a crank. Really.

And I wouldn't say this to someone who actually spelled their name that way--my crazy here is mainly focused on spellings of my own name and the author of those books. ;-)
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    For those of you terrified of having a pap done, the recommendations have changed (at least in the US) and generally you only need have the pap done every 3-5 years (depending on age and past results). That said, they still recommend an annual pelvic exam, which is what most women are actually terrified of, not the brushing of the cervix, which takes all of 15 seconds.

And @ladybuggnorris - The pap is actually for screening abnormal cells that can lead to cancer. HPV is an entirely separate test, though often it can cause the abnormal cells through inflammation and raise a cause for alarm.

And just in case you're all wondering why I'd know all this nonsense, I actually run the cytology lab at this location for my company, so I am well versed in how and why pap smears, HPV, and a slew of STIs are tested for. Healthcare isn't glamourous. :/
  • lemurcat12
    Options

When I was 21 (and in professional school and still on my parents' insurance) I started having sex with my boyfriend (had been a virgin until then), and decided I should probably get a pap and also wanted to get on the pill. I asked my mother about a doctor's appointment, which I had not had in a while, and she instantly mentioned making an appointment with my pediatrician. I said "uh, at this age, shouldn't I see a woman's doctor? like they say you should have a pap after age 18 and I never have." She responded, "oh, I never did until I was married. I don't see the need unless you were having sex or something." Uh, awkward.

I went with "oh, no, But these days they really want you to start having them at 18" and she decided probably better not to pry, I guess.

Yes, that's basically how open my mother and I were (and are) about these things.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    For those of you terrified of having a pap done, the recommendations have changed (at least in the US) and generally you only need have the pap done every 3-5 years (depending on age and past results). That said, they still recommend an annual pelvic exam, which is what most women are actually terrified of, not the brushing of the cervix, which takes all of 15 seconds.

And @ladybuggnorris - The pap is actually for screening abnormal cells that can lead to cancer. HPV is an entirely separate test, though often it can cause the abnormal cells through inflammation and raise a cause for alarm.

And just in case you're all wondering why I'd know all this nonsense, I actually run the cytology lab at this location for my company, so I am well versed in how and why pap smears, HPV, and a slew of STIs are tested for. Healthcare isn't glamourous. :/

I was elated when my doctor said I was good for 3 years! It was like Christmas. :p