The "Food Babe" Blogger Is Full of Crap

Options

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    TheBigFb wrote: »
    Yeah, way too long, didnt read any of that.

Aaaand this is why we have problems.

Maybe we could use this to our advantage. Like convince them all the sun is going to be eaten by an enormous mutant star-goat and we need to evacuate the planet.

No wait, that ends badly.

If we built this large wooden badger...
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    TheBigFb wrote: »
    Yeah, way too long, didnt read any of that.

Aaaand this is why we have problems.

Maybe we could use this to our advantage. Like convince them all the sun is going to be eaten by an enormous mutant star-goat and we need to evacuate the planet.

No wait, that ends badly.

If we built this large wooden badger...

Fetchez la vache.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    cow_catapult.jpg
  • peachyfuzzle
    Options
    RUN AWAY!
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I did not know about this woman before this thread. In the few videos I see of her she is telling people to cook their food. Also she seems to not like Kraft's macaroni and cheese. She talks a lot about added chemicals, which I do not have an problem with. So not the channel for me, but I am not seeing the problem. Are the only problems with what she is saying coming from her Facebook? I will have to go look at that next.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    DaneanP wrote: »

That is a great article. I loved the Science Babe post, because I'm a chemist by training as well, but I do think she lost a little credibility because she came out loaded for bear. The Elle article is much more evenly written and as such, I think will be better received with the masses. People are probably a little intimidated by too many scientific references in the Science Babe article.

Also, I have a personal distaste for the word "Babe" so I actually can't in good conscience follow the Science Babe either, even though I agree with her perspective!
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I did not know about this woman before this thread. In the few videos I see of her she is telling people to cook their food. Also she seems to not like Kraft's macaroni and cheese. She talks a lot about added chemicals, which I do not have an problem with. So not the channel for me, but I am not seeing the problem. Are the only problems with what she is saying coming from her Facebook? I will have to go look at that next.

If you ever see someone ranting about "added chemicals" but is still ok with using a pinch of salt to flavor their food, run away.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options

You do not have a problem with added chemicals? Or you do not have a problem with talking about added chemicals?
  • peachyfuzzle
    Options

You don't see a problem with a person who has zero credentials making fabricated claims about people's health in order to grab a few bucks for spewing whatever message a corporate sponsor wants to profess to the already uninformed/underinformed/misinformed masses?

Really... ?
  • cmcdonald525
    cmcdonald525 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    The problem is she's spreading mass fear about crap she doesn't even know anything about. It would be one thing if she was simply trying to encourage people to be more healthy. Instead she's coming out with all sorts of nonsense about how this chemical will kill you and don't eat this, you'll get cancer. She is attacking companies over ingredients proven to be perfectly safe. And she is gaining all sorts of followers who don't know any better than to believe her and the stupid crap she's coming out with is spreading. Endorsing a healthy lifestyle is fine, but at least have some scientific evidence to back it up!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    Manganese. A lot of people don't even know what that is. Nitrogen...
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options

You do not have a problem with added chemicals? Or you do not have a problem with talking about added chemicals?

Both, I am going to eat what I want. But I do not have a problem with someone talking about added chemicals. If I really had a problem with that stuff I would just grow my own food and only eat what I grow.

Also just found her Facebook page, and when I typed it in one for people who have been blocked from her page popped up. Her page seems to be about recipes, companies, her book and what food you should not eat. It looks like the page that comes up when I pull up Yahoo, with all those slides to click on.
  • cmcdonald525
    cmcdonald525 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    As mentioned before, my mom is a huge follower of her. She was diagnosed with breast cancer in October 2013. Because of the stupid **** food babe was saying my mom was planning on forgoing chemo and instead going on some bull**** diet that was supposed to kill the cancer in her body. Thank god we were able to talk her out of this plan, she finally agreed to undergo chemo and radiation. She's been cancer free for almost six months now. I probably would have lost my mom if she had listened to food babe.

But you know, drinking nettle tea and cutting out gluten cures cancer and all......
  • TeresaLouise2
    Options
    I saw her on YouTube so I decided to look at the ingredients in my favorite turkey sticks that's only 45 calories and 3g of fat - There is an ingredient called CARRAGEENAN - it's banned in Europe but still good here. I'm still going to eat it - it's good!
  • Ainsleigh_W
    Options
    Im an engineering major and I had to explain to my mom's husbands daughter that "No, the earth isn't 5000 years old", "You cant just do cardio and starve yourself to lose weigh because your body doesn't work that way" and "No, vaccines don't cause autism and that paper everyone cites is nothing but flawed research with lots of big words to scare idiots". You can't fix stupid and she's the average American.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Mmmm. Carrageenan is interesting. Derived naturally from seaweed.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrageenan
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I saw her on YouTube so I decided to look at the ingredients in my favorite turkey sticks that's only 45 calories and 3g of fat - There is an ingredient called CARRAGEENAN - it's banned in Europe but still good here. I'm still going to eat it - it's good!

I have iota and kappa carrageenan in my pantry to cook with, no worries
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Im an engineering major and I had to explain to my mom's husbands daughter that "No, the earth isn't 5000 years old", "You cant just do cardio and starve yourself to lose weigh because your body doesn't work that way" and "No, vaccines don't cause autism and that paper everyone cites is nothing but flawed research with lots of big words to scare idiots". You can't fix stupid and she's the average American.

My bob, how did you survive that encounter? She's got all the crazies rolled into one!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Carregeenan is only banned for use in infant formulas in Europe since it MIGHT cause intestinal distress. The ban's simply precautionary, and certainly wasn't a universal ban from all products.

It's extracted from seaweed!

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Both, I am going to eat what I want. But I do not have a problem with someone talking about added chemicals. If I really had a problem with that stuff I would just grow my own food and only eat what I grow.

Also just found her Facebook page, and when I typed it in one for people who have been blocked from her page popped up. Her page seems to be about recipes, companies, her book and what food you should not eat. It looks like the page that comes up when I pull up Yahoo, with all those slides to click on.

There are plenty of places where you can get recipes that don't use dodgy science and alarmism. Have you tried Pinterest?