How to eat better foods that you really cant afford? (here is a before during and current picture)

Options

Replies

• Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Use your favorite search engine and enter: Eating Healthy on a Budget. The first 4 results are excellent resources to bookmark and read!

I love this one:
    http://www.poorgirleatswell.com/

Also:
    http://www.cleaneating.com (Although this one tends to be a bit opinionated sometimes).

A good book for re-learning Nutrition (and it isn't long either):
    The Eat Clean Diet by Tosca Reno.

Remember, this journey is going to take awhile. So have fun with it and don't be afraid to throw new foods on the plate! As far as getting it out of the house, that's one thing you just have to bite the bullet and do or decide for yourself not to eat the bad stuff.

What worked for me was to do more meal planning. I work outside the home, so I plan for 5 lunches. I can eat whatever I want for those 5 lunches. Dinner: everybody got an extra veggie on their plate that they didn't get before. For the rest of the items they ate, I just watched portion sizes or skipped eating them altogether. Breakfast planning sort of works the same way as lunch planning for me. Breakfast doesn't seem quite as hard to workaround because almost everybody can eat eggs. They'll also eat fruit when you put it in front of them.
  • HotKanye
    HotKanye Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm baffled by everyone saying to just keep doing what she's doing when you can't see her food diary. What we eat is not simply a matter of losing weight. Can you lose weight drinking less pepsi and eating flour tortillas and cheese? Yes. Will you be healthy? Maybe. We don't know because we don't know if that's a treat or her every day. If your every day is carbs and cheese and meat with no vegetables you are missing massive amounts of important micronutrients.

OP- I would say to get some whole food cookbooks out from the library. You really can eat well for the same price. As someone else said beans and rice are cheap. Buy marked down veggies if that's all you can afford. Often ones that are just not as nice visually cost less even though they taste just as good. If you are on a tight budget I certainly would try not to waste any money on things like Pepsi or buying "junk" for other family members. I know it's a challenge to change your food habits but it is worth it not just for how you look but how you feel. Where we live there are ways to get free or cheap produce through Good Food Box programs so that's also worth looking into! Good luck!
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    I am in the uk but similar issues here in terms of cost but I live in a town with access to several supermarkets so getting to shops is not an issue. With regards to veg, I would advise buying larger portions for economies of scale and making up veg soups and curries straight away and freezing for quick use when you need them. It stops you making bad choices when you are tired and needing food quick. You can add meat of course but without you are getting quite a cheap meal with plenty of goodness. You can turn a veg soup into a substantial meal by adding a bit of spice, coconut milk and noodles and maybe some cheap fish/or some meat so that it becomes a stew etc . Also avoid processed foods when you can but there are still plenty of quick cook natural foods available. Eggs are great and can be turned into an omelette for lunch (with a slice or two of cooked ham and cheese) takes less than 3 mins to make. Spanish omelette with vegies, cooked meat and potatoes is very filling and again quick to make. Good luck
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    www.budgetbytes.com

I don't understand why people always go for junk food when they don't have much money, when there are much healthier options that really don't cost more.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    HotKanye wrote: »
    Can you lose weight drinking less pepsi and eating flour tortillas and cheese? Yes. Will you be healthy? Maybe.

If someone was living on Pepsi and flour tortillas and cheese before, and now eats less of that and the weight is coming off, we can say with 100% confidence they are making themselves healthier.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this for a little over 3 years. The fact is, if you take all of this advice, it is cheaper than eating out and junk food. Trust me. I pay a lot less for groceries now than I was paying pre-MFP. We rarely eat out. I lost over 160 pounds and have been maintaining my weight loss for 17 months. My husband eats all of the same foods I do, just bigger portions, and he has lost 35 pounds not even really trying. Everyone in your family can benefit from this and at a savings for your family grocery bill. Pay attention to sales, buying in bulk, farmers markets, or whatever it takes. Portion size is key. Weigh and measure and stick to it.

Best of luck to you!
  • Jani22
    Jani22 Posts: 17
    Options
    I buy reduced price fresh veg even if it looks a bit battered and make soup. Chop veg and simmer in veg stock, add your choice of chillies, herbs, spices, garlic, root ginger for more flavour. Blend the cooked veg, sieve them to remove skin, seeds, etc, season and thicken with a can of chopped tomatoes or plain, fat free yoghurt. I add a can of mixed beans and pulses in water and a little heat with some chopped fresh chilli.

This is about 100 calories a big bowlful and will help fill you up. Great for a quick hunger pang fix.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I have a blog post (the only post on my mfp blog) about this. I'm a real life poor person, so I empathize.
  • melimomTARDIS
    Options
    Nothing wrong with flour tortillas and cheese. Lots of austism spectrum kids eat that way exclusively.
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Okay, I understand your question. You have made good progress just controlling the portions of foods you already ate.
    But now you are not progressing it seems, so you joined a gym. And you feel you should make some more changes to your diet but wonder how to "afford" healthier eating.
    I think you are doing an awesome job!!!

So maybe just increase your veggie (lots of non-starchy veggies) intake with your meals every day. Like:
    -- cook up some veggies in the pan with your morning eggs...a good investment for your money is ghee (it's a good fat that can sit on your counter while you are using it up, and it is good for high temp cooking).
    --make a small pot of vegetable soup enough for a couple of days
    --make a salad

This will add nutrition and fiber and make your meals go a long way. You'll feel more satisfied.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    CICO is all you need for weight loss. However, if you're asking how to get more nutrient dense food on a budget, I have some experience. Frozen veg is your friend. It's usually pretty cheap, but still great quality stuff. Lean turkey is generally the same or cheaper than hamburger or pork. Fruit, buy what's in season or on sale. Frozen is also good there, but sometimes more pricey. Do the math and figure out the price per lb and compare to the fresh. Sweet potatoes are very nutritionally dense and close in price to white potatoes. If your making baked potatoes, just make yours a sweet potato.

Also, do you cook the meals? If so, prepare the entire meal as if everyone was eating your healthy diet, and then add one "bad" dish that everyone else likes (you won't eat it of course). And, they can slap on as much butter and what have you as they like to their "healthy" food.

Good luck! You've made some awesome progress so far!
  • melimomTARDIS
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I sympathize with you, I really do. I hate when people say oh it costs the same to eat healthy as it does not to. What crap! I go to the store and I can get 3 boxes of generic Mac&Cheese for $1, or 1 bell pepper IF it's on sale.

What does the bell pepper have to do with anything? You can get real rice, real lentils for less than you're paying for the nutritional wasteland known as boxed mac&cheese.

Cheap, and super easy to "cook".

For real. Bag of lentils: 89 cents. Bag of rice? What? $2.00?

And how many meals is that compared to boxed mac and cheese?

And yes, while red bell peppers might be sometimes expensive, not all produce is. Look in the front of the produce department for that week's loss leaders. They will be on sale that week, sometimes with coupons. Frozen vegetables are VERY inexpensive and just as nutritious as fresh.

I have a giant vat of navy beans cooking in the crock RIGHT now with some cheap frozen veggies, ketchup, tomato juice, garlic and onion powders, and a heavy sprinkle of seasoning salt. Will serve with buttered white bread. Total dinner cost? Pennies.
  • BABetter1
    Options
    By the way, we have similar stats. I started at 229 and I'm currently at 190.
  • amyj514
    amyj514 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My husband eats a lot of junk, so I understand how that is. I make a grocery list for myself and our boys (they're only 21 mos old so they eat what I give them) and then I tell my husband to write down or text me his list. More to the point though, staples on my list are milk, eggs, plain nonfat yogurt, 1% cottage cheese, apples, at least 2 bunches of bananas, 1 bunch celery, 1 bag baby carrots, 2 red bell peppers, 1 seedless cucumber, and bread. The milk is for the boys, yogurt and bananas we share, the veggies and apples are for my lunches, and bread is for the boys' lunches and sometimes mine. I make a huge pot of soup for the week for my lunches, or lately I've been bringing sandwiches. We also go through a lot of oats, rice, cream of wheat, wheatena, lentils, barley, pasta, canned veggies, some canned fruits, unsweetened applesauce, peanut butter, jelly, and honey. Then just whatever random stuff for dinners during the week. Fresh produce can be pricey depending on what you get. Frozen and canned are great options if you're on a super tight budget. I would really recommend going heavy on the rice, lentils, barley, and oats. They will keep you full for cheap and you can find some really easy, cheap, healthy recipes using those things if you do a little searching online!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with flour tortillas and cheese. Lots of austism spectrum kids eat that way exclusively.

Oh wow....yeah....I can vouch for that!

:drinker:
  • tlharin
    tlharin Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I hear you; while I've mostly only been cooking for myself the last few years, I did that on a graduate student's budget (ie: dirt cheap). And now I'm adapting to cooking for my meat-eating, not-in-love-with vegetables fiance (I'm a vegetarian). It sounds like you've done a great job. Most important: don't give up because of an *apparent* lack of results. Just keep going. There's already great advice above on foods, getting moving, etc. So a bit about my own attempts to shop more cheaply:

I unabashedly shop in the "discount" section of the produce section. You know, the little cart or corner most stores have with the bruised tomatoes, overripe fruit, the not-pretty-enough yams that look like a toddler's play-doh creations. I buy these and use them as soon as possible. If it's something that freezes well I buy as much as they have and make my own veggie packs (wash, chop, freeze on wax paper covered baking sheet, portion into bags for the next stir fry, soup, to add to spaghetti sauce, etc.). Depending on where you live, you might want to look for a local ethnic market--prices are often much lower than at standard chains. We're lucky to have a walking distance Mexican grocery store that often sells produce and staple pantry items much cheaper than our chain store. Avocados for only 75 cents each, peppers for 50 cents, mangoes for 69? Yes, please! I used to live near a Polish deli that practically gave away summer produce (tomatoes, squash, beans). Plus shopping at these places is kind of fun and takes no more effort than the shopping you have to do anyway.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Dried beans are nutritious and uber cheap. Watch carefully for sales and specials, things marked down for quick sale; see if there is an Aldi or local discount type grocery.
  • Beauty_For_Ashes
    Beauty_For_Ashes Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My answer to this: Anything on sale at Sprouts and anything on sale (meaning I eat in season fresh food - it's difficult during the winter, though) at any other grocery store close to me. I'm excited that it is spring and all my favorite fruit and veg are coming back! Now to wait for the sales to pop up!
  • BABetter1
    Options
    Hey, when I got tired of cooking 2 separate meals and started cooking the same thing for everyone, my family hardly even noticed. You can do this.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Around here our farmers market has a lot of seconds. I bought a whole flat of blueberries for $10. Now, there are plenty of bad ones, they have to be cleaned and so on. But, that's 10 LBS of blueberries for $10. I've hardly made a dent at all in the flat and have 28 ounces of cleaned frozen berries in the freezer. I bought a flat of strawberries for $9, which is a bit less than a dollar a lb, but most of those are decent.
    I bought a couple large papaya for $1 each, had to trim em up a bit as they had some bruising, but, those are cleaned up and ready to go.

Beans are about the cheapest thing out there. Even decent rice doesn't cost much.