1200cals a day challenge!

Options

Replies

• ynarmous
    ynarmous Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    kailifr wrote: »
    I'm also trying to follow the 1 200 cal per day. I started 2 days ago, so far I feel fine, I don't feel hungry, I drink a lot and even have snacks!

Hey! I also started doing 2 days ago but always exceed 1200, on the first day I got up to 1500cals, yesterday was about 1300cals.
  • _Justinian_
    _Justinian_ Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is 1934. If all I am doing that day is going to work and then playing video games or reading a book, then 1200-1300 calories that day gets me along just fine.
  • scookbey
    scookbey Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Did you update your goals? Put in your new weight and weight goal. You don't want to torment yourself for no reason--just to be more accurate
  • Kaylee231
    Kaylee231 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    ynarmous wrote: »
    I'm also trying to follow the 1 200 cal per day. I started 2 days ago, so far I feel fine, I don't feel hungry, I drink a lot and even have snacks!

Hey! I also started doing 2 days ago but always exceed 1200, on the first day I got up to 1500cals, yesterday was about 1300cals.

I'm doing 1200, too! I started a week ago and almost always exceed the amount. As others have said 1200 calories is the minimum and if you are under it, MFP won't even let you complete your food diary for the day! My first day, I was about 1300 cals, but my second say, I only ate a bit over 800 cals. That's just how I am, though. Now, I've gotten to where I can stay at maybe 50-200 cals over the 1200 cal limit, and that is with fast food and snacks occasionally. As long as you aren't over eating on sweets and other unhealthy things all day, I wouldn't worry about going over the 1200 cals. Especially with how much you are exorcising. In my opinion, you look amazing! Keep up the good work, you don't wanna lose too much weight or you will look anorexic.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Congratulations on your journey so far!

As others have pointed out, you managed a significant change with only 3-4 days a week of exercise and without changing your diet. Rather than significantly changing your diet, why not instead make some small tweaks to your current diet (1500 calories, maybe mix up the macros, even try slightly lifting it a little) and see where that takes you? You don't need to subject yourself to 1200 calories straight away when you already have results progressing.

I train 4 times a week or so and am only dropping below 1200 calories two weeks away from my first bodybuilding comp. It is hell. I would not recommend it to anyone.

Thank you for your reply! Would it be okay if I lift it to 1500cals/day if my goal is to lose 20lbs by 4th of July? That is actually my challenge to myself thats why I am trying to do this. Plus Im hitting the beach on the first week of May. I don't know what is the computation for it. I just followed what the MFP gave and the fitness first recommended. 1200cals/day. So.. Thats it.

Just wanted to add, you have not much to lose, the closer to your goal weight the harder it takes to lose, it took me several months just to lose the last 5 pounds to reach my goal weight. So don't be disappointed if you don't hit your goal by the 4th of July ( I don't set goal dates as they never happen then I get depressed). I agree with everyone else, up your calories!! I lost more weight upping then I did starving myself on 1200 calories and more then likely when you set up your goals up I bet you set it to 2 pound loss a week, change it 1 pound a week and then to a half pound a week when get closer to your goal weight.

ETA: I lost weight eating around 1800 calories, I am 5'2 and 45 years old.
  • kellyj0729
    kellyj0729 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Just want to give my 2 cents....our stats very similar, I was 142 lbs at 5'3'' and I did 1,200 calories for most of 2014, I got to my goal of 115 lbs. I was definitely thinner, but my body fat % was still higher than I wanted. When you lose weight, you lose muscle as well as fat. I wish I knew what I knew now- I should have been doing strength training to build lean muscle instead of just cardio to lose weight. I don't see last year as a complete waste because I learned portion control, measuring food, understanding what I was putting into my body. BUT- I was evil, my husband said I was miserable- 1,200 calories I was HANGRY. I was in denial that I was hungry b/c I was consistently losing weight and didn't want to up the calories. Long story short, I upped my calories, hired a trainer, and have been lifting weights 3x week in addition to some cardio, yoga, running (whatever I feel like). I am happier with my body now than at 115 lbs. I look more toned and much firmer in my butt and thighs. I am currently 130 lbs and have gone from 26.4% body fat to 24.6% body fat in about 8 weeks. Good luck on your journey, but it's not necessary to consume only 1,200 calories.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"8 and mfp gave me 1200 calories, before the glitch.
    5"3 is tiny, to me anyway. So 1200 calories a day wouldn't be unheard of...
    Having said that, if you can avoid eating that low definitely do so!
  • dstein46
    dstein46 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6" and also doing 1200 cals a day, have been doing it for the past 2 weeks, and before that I was doing 1000cals a day. I am much happier on 1200 calories a day and I also exercise 5-6 times a week. Losing that last bit of weight is hard but keep going because your doing great!!
  • ynarmous
    Options
    Kaylee231 wrote: »

I'm doing 1200, too! I started a week ago and almost always exceed the amount. As others have said 1200 calories is the minimum and if you are under it, MFP won't even let you complete your food diary for the day! My first day, I was about 1300 cals, but my second say, I only ate a bit over 800 cals. That's just how I am, though. Now, I've gotten to where I can stay at maybe 50-200 cals over the 1200 cal limit, and that is with fast food and snacks occasionally. As long as you aren't over eating on sweets and other unhealthy things all day, I wouldn't worry about going over the 1200 cals. Especially with how much you are exorcising. In my opinion, you look amazing! Keep up the good work, you don't wanna lose too much weight or you will look anorexic.

Thank you for your reply.. I think I'll just increase it to 1300-1400/day btw I think you should too :) , I actually eat alot for breakfast like 1 cup of rice, 3oz pink salmon, 1 hard boiled egg and 1 med orange. I eat average for lunch, I do have snacks. But for dinner I just have fruits or herbalife shake, or steamed veggies with oyster sauce... And I am far from being anorexic, Im actually a bit of chunky... I just naturally have small waist because I have an hourglass figure. My upper thighs are 23.5 in circumference. Woah. I have large thighs, legs and arms. So I dont really look that fat but I kinda am... And go girl, update me when you reach your goal! Thank you for your post.
  • ynarmous
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Congratulations on your journey so far!

As others have pointed out, you managed a significant change with only 3-4 days a week of exercise and without changing your diet. Rather than significantly changing your diet, why not instead make some small tweaks to your current diet (1500 calories, maybe mix up the macros, even try slightly lifting it a little) and see where that takes you? You don't need to subject yourself to 1200 calories straight away when you already have results progressing.

I train 4 times a week or so and am only dropping below 1200 calories two weeks away from my first bodybuilding comp. It is hell. I would not recommend it to anyone.

Thank you for your reply! Would it be okay if I lift it to 1500cals/day if my goal is to lose 20lbs by 4th of July? That is actually my challenge to myself thats why I am trying to do this. Plus Im hitting the beach on the first week of May. I don't know what is the computation for it. I just followed what the MFP gave and the fitness first recommended. 1200cals/day. So.. Thats it.

Just wanted to add, you have not much to lose, the closer to your goal weight the harder it takes to lose, it took me several months just to lose the last 5 pounds to reach my goal weight. So don't be disappointed if you don't hit your goal by the 4th of July ( I don't set goal dates as they never happen then I get depressed). I agree with everyone else, up your calories!! I lost more weight upping then I did starving myself on 1200 calories and more then likely when you set up your goals up I bet you set it to 2 pound loss a week, change it 1 pound a week and then to a half pound a week when get closer to your goal weight.

ETA: I lost weight eating around 1800 calories, I am 5'2 and 45 years old.

Woah. But thats totally okay. It really is a matter of lifestyle not just a short term diet plan. Thats what I am trying to do now. I eat the usual foods I eat but I just exclude some junkfoods I have before, but I still it eat occassionally... I dont set goals to date before too thats why I am trying to do it now.. And lets see if I could reach goals faster idk... Yes I am increasing my food intake now to 1300-1400cals a day... Thank you for your reply. :)

• ynarmous
    Options
    kellyj0729 wrote: »
    Just want to give my 2 cents....our stats very similar, I was 142 lbs at 5'3'' and I did 1,200 calories for most of 2014, I got to my goal of 115 lbs. I was definitely thinner, but my body fat % was still higher than I wanted. When you lose weight, you lose muscle as well as fat. I wish I knew what I knew now- I should have been doing strength training to build lean muscle instead of just cardio to lose weight. I don't see last year as a complete waste because I learned portion control, measuring food, understanding what I was putting into my body. BUT- I was evil, my husband said I was miserable- 1,200 calories I was HANGRY. I was in denial that I was hungry b/c I was consistently losing weight and didn't want to up the calories. Long story short, I upped my calories, hired a trainer, and have been lifting weights 3x week in addition to some cardio, yoga, running (whatever I feel like). I am happier with my body now than at 115 lbs. I look more toned and much firmer in my butt and thighs. I am currently 130 lbs and have gone from 26.4% body fat to 24.6% body fat in about 8 weeks. Good luck on your journey, but it's not necessary to consume only 1,200 calories.

Thanks for your reply. :) Yes, but at first I didn't lose weight by reducing what I eat I did an HIIT workout for 2 months, so I didnt lose that much but got more toned... So now I am trying to reduce what I eat and no exercise that much. That program is done 6 days a week for 40mins. It was tough. But I read it should be 70%diet and 30%exercise. So im trying to watch what i eat now and exercise a little. I hope that would work better... Idk.. I am trying to experiment.
  • ynarmous
    Options

Thank you! Yes I would change it to 1300-1400cals a day... I have no idea how much i should be consuming..
  • ynarmous
    Options
    dstein46 wrote: »
    I am 5'6" and also doing 1200 cals a day, have been doing it for the past 2 weeks, and before that I was doing 1000cals a day. I am much happier on 1200 calories a day and I also exercise 5-6 times a week. Losing that last bit of weight is hard but keep going because your doing great!!

Wow. I cant go that low. I usually go a little above 1200cals... DO you mind me asking how much have you lost already? Thank you for your reply btw. :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Thank you! Yes I would change it to 1300-1400cals a day... I have no idea how much i should be consuming..

That's the crappy thing about finding the right calories for you. Too high and you'll put on weight, too low and you're hungry all the time. Just have to do a bit of experimenting

• JoAnnRyan123
    JoAnnRyan123 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    My MFP app is recently updated and it also set me at 1200
    It lets me finish an entry at a minimum of 1000 (& gives me the 5wk prediction & everything

I'm confused as to what others are saying abt MFP new guidelines ect

FWIW
    I'm 5'3 140lbs and sedentary
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    ^^^ this is truth. The closer you are to goal, the more true it is (less margin for error). Be patient and persistent, and you will figure it out. Christine is a really good role model via a vis practical attitude and sustainable habits!
  • kimberlydgarcia
    kimberlydgarcia Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Mfp has mine at 1,200 also. Then I see posts like this and get confused!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    MFP asks how fast you want to lose to determine deficit. If MFP instead suggested an appropriate deficit for how much you have to lose, I bet many fewer people would get the 1200 recommendation. Better still, if MFP asked your BF%, it could give even better advice, but that can be hard to ascertain accurately.

I'm not knocking 1200 out of hand. For someone small and over 50, it could be quite close to maintenance. Plenty of people have had good results for an appreciable duration with 1200. The risk of an excessive deficit as BF% declines, of course other than snapping heads off with little provocation, is losing lean body mass--the one thing that takes so much work to gain. For me 1200 for a week or more sets the table for a binge. :( Like a lot of other things, it's individual and just depends.
  • piopiosping
    piopiosping Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am doing 1200 cal too. We have very similar stats, too. I started at 135 and my goal is also 115. I only recently started. 1200 was hard at first but I upped my protein and I've gotten used to it. I let myself go a bit over though, and don't track everything on the weekends. I'd like some friends to keep me motivated!
  • Linda73c
    Linda73c Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    @shannonmaines Don’t worry about what others say. I like the fact that you contributed. Some people are just ignorant!