How to eat better foods that you really cant afford? (here is a before during and current picture)

Options

Replies

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Dried Beans -- all varieties
    Rice
    Frozen Veg
    Eggs
    Oats

My supermarket has a shelf of "less than perfect" produce that I hit all the time for stuff that is only cosmetically off. Best deals are Jicama (because it's usually a HUGE item with one little spot that can easily be cut away), Cauliflower, and sweet potatoes.

Also, look in to any local CSA (community supported agriculture) farms. Mine gives shares to people who volunteer on the farm (either in the field or in the barn at distribution time) and it provides 20 weeks of TONS of fresh, local produce.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with flour tortillas and cheese. Lots of austism spectrum kids eat that way exclusively.

Oh wow....yeah....I can vouch for that!

:drinker:

Me too ;) add in smooth peanut butter and apple juice, and a flintstones vitamin.... You can live on that for a loooooong time.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    When I was ready to start losing weight, I had the "talk" with my family about how some things are going to change as I was NOT going to have a "theirs" and "mine" kind of food lifestyle. It took a little doing, plus putting the chips and ice cream on hiatus for a while in my home, but they started to eat better. Now they eat well enough that I can bring some treats into the house and they won't eat just the treats.

I ate better and my family ate better. They could always get treats away from home. And it ultimately ended up cheaper eating healthy whole foods rather than always buying separate stuff like mac and cheese, cereals, etc.
  • JoAnnRyan123
    JoAnnRyan123 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Eggs
    Sweet potatoes
    Progresso light soups
    Fresh veggies (usually one or two on sale each week. Combine with for unique 'omelets')
    Tap water (free!)
    Head of lettuce
    Salsa

Make your $big ticket item$ the meats- one or two a week (chicken, turkey, lean beef cuts) Itll be worth the budgetting health wise
  • Linnea1972
    Linnea1972 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Okay, I understand your question. You have made good progress just controlling the portions of foods you already ate.
    But now you are not progressing it seems, so you joined a gym. And you feel you should make some more changes to your diet but wonder how to "afford" healthier eating.
    I think you are doing an awesome job!!!

So maybe just increase your veggie (lots of non-starchy veggies) intake with your meals every day. Like:
    -- cook up some veggies in the pan with your morning eggs...a good investment for your money is ghee (it's a good fat that can sit on your counter while you are using it up, and it is good for high temp cooking).
    --make a small pot of vegetable soup enough for a couple of days
    --make a salad

This will add nutrition and fiber and make your meals go a long way. You'll feel more satisfied.

Yes you got it! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I am understanding a lot here from everyone.. and I relize processed and starchy are no good. Processed food may be my problem... I do eat some already prepared meals that I bet are processed!
    LLOTS OF ADVICE HERE, and I will listen to all!
  • realia
    realia Posts: 169 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I absolutely CANNOT stand when people say that buying healthier "clean" foods is cheaper (or cost the same) than buying reg grocery foods, because this isn't true for everybody. When you're 21, living near a pretty expensive NYC area, and don't have a car, you're reduced to buying things like $5 gallon of milk, $7 carton of eggs, a really small box of cereal for $5.75, olive oil for $10 etc, etc. By the time I get the basic necessities, my bill is already $250-$300 for ONE week's worth of food.

What I started doing is picking 2-3 staple veggies and fruits that I like and seeing if they're on sale in bulk or I buy them frozen. Then I pick the cheapest chicken breasts (the cheapest I can find near me is about $3 and are usually super thin but I deal), a packet of turkey burgers, and/or a fish. Then I add, wheat bread, brown rice, wheat pasta, and/or cereal (which last me like 2-3 wks so I don't buy them every week). I find recipes online that contain whatever I bought and I improvise. I also buy milk, cheese, and a big tube of Greek yogurt (these usually last me about 2 wks as well) The bill comes up to about $100-$150 depending per week. Stock up on canned foods as well just in case. If I run out of food AND money, then I just get creative with whatever is left in my fridge.

Most of my dinner meals are vegetables with some kind of lean meat and sometimes with a little bit of starch (brown rice or pasta). Lunch I usually have a turkey burger or a sandwich or salad. Breakfast is usually cereal, eggs, or oatmeal. Snacks are usually greek yogurt with fruit and/or nuts.

Also, lentils for 89 cents?? Where the hell do you people live? Cause I'm moving!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing great.
    Buy dry beans, lentils, oatmeal, canned beans, canned vegetables, frozen vegetables, eggs, rice, onions, garlic, potatoes, carrots, peanut butter.
    Make a large pot of soup once a week.
    Buy a whole chicken or chicken thighs instead of chicken breast.
    If you have a slow cooker use it.
    Cut meat up and put in a casserole, soup or stir fry to stretch it farther.
    Don't pay someone to cut up, bone, skin or shred your food for you. Buy things whole and do it yourself.
    Buy store or generic brands.
    Check out farmer's markets. Start a garden... even a container garden. Make friends with a gardener.
    Hummus is cheap and easy to make and very filling.
    A bag of popcorn that you cook on the stove or air popper is good for a cheap snack.
    Also reccomend budgetbytes.com for recipes.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    HotKanye wrote: »
    I'm baffled by everyone saying to just keep doing what she's doing when you can't see her food diary. What we eat is not simply a matter of losing weight...!

First of all, weight loss is critical to regaining health. On proof alone I know the OP is doing a whole bunch of things right.

Second, I don't think big changes to her diet makeup will accelerate her weight loss.

That being said there are ways to squeeze room in a tight food budget.

An example from today a poster worried that the yogurt at three times the price was preferable, while the cheaper full fat version she bought is just as nutritious.

Don't miss the forest for the trees.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    realia wrote: »
    I absolutely CANNOT stand when people say that buying healthier "clean" foods is cheaper (or cost the same) than buying reg grocery foods, because this isn't true for everybody. When you're 21, living near a pretty expensive NYC area, and don't have a car, you're reduced to buying things like $5 gallon of milk, $7 carton of eggs, a really small box of cereal for $5.75, olive oil for $10 etc, etc. By the time I get the basic necessities, my bill is already $250-$300 for ONE week's worth of food.

Even at $7/dozen, $250 is 35 dozen eggs. That's five dozen a day. That's 4200 calories/day of a very high protein food.

Sorry, the math doesn't hold up.

Hell, I can feed myself maintenance calories and a reasonable macro mix at Chipotle and Pret a Manger for less than $300/week....and that's eating out every single calorie...
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

What I started doing is picking 2-3 staple veggies and fruits that I like and seeing if they're on sale in bulk or I buy them frozen. Then I pick the cheapest chicken breasts (the cheapest I can find near me is about $3 and are usually super thin but I deal), a packet of turkey burgers, and/or a fish. Then I add, wheat bread, brown rice, wheat pasta, and/or cereal (which last me like 2-3 wks so I don't buy them every week). I find recipes online that contain whatever I bought and I improvise. I also buy milk, cheese, and a big tube of Greek yogurt (these usually last me about 2 wks as well) The bill comes up to about $100-$150 depending per week. Stock up on canned foods as well just in case. If I run out of food AND money, then I just get creative with whatever is left in my fridge.

Most of my dinner meals are vegetables with some kind of lean meat and sometimes with a little bit of starch (brown rice or pasta). Lunch I usually have a turkey burger or a sandwich or salad. Breakfast is usually cereal, eggs, or oatmeal. Snacks are usually greek yogurt with fruit and/or nuts.

Also, lentils for 89 cents?? Where the hell do you people live? Cause I'm moving!

A bag of dried lentils. Not canned.

I live in New Jersey.

• juliev1121
    juliev1121 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I got to tired to read all of these so might have already been mentioned but my two biggest tips:

1. Stop drinking things you have to buy. Drink all water. You dont need to drink anything else. Maybe some cheap green tea bags and brew it then let it cool (with nothing added, no sugar) if you really need a treat sometimes. Sound like too much? Work towards it. Why I love water - seeing people in Africa without it and knowing what its like to be truly thirsty. Love water, it is better than anything else and its free.

2. Eat beans. Beans are cheap and good for you, and there are so many types. They are also better for the environment, grocery store meat is full of chemicals and hormones, and it reduces the need for factory farming and cruelty to animals so you aren't putting negative food in your body (natural meats in small quantities are good, but if your trying to save don't bother or make it a birthday treat). Work towards it.

I know its hard, but dig down deep and make the commitment. It gets easier. Now the idea of even drinking pop makes me feel sick, and the last time I ate a piece of beef 3 years ago I ended up in a ball of pain. These things are expensive and bad for you - so just cut them! :)
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Frozen veggies have been a really big budget saver for me. I usually stock up when they are on sale and then use the steamer basket in my rice cooker or a microwavable steam bag to cook them.

Also depending on what grocery store you go to, you may be able to go to their website and download coupons for things that normally don't have coupon offers. Every once in awhile I will find coupons for fresh meats and produce. Usually if these stores have a loyalty card you can upload the coupons right on the card. I'm also able to get coupons for my total purchase after spending a certain amount.

• HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I remember being 22, living in Boston, and eating healthy on a 1600 per month stipend... when my rent was 1300 per month. Some people just aren't good at problem solving, I guess.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I live in New Jersey.

Even at Whole Foods, lentils are only $1.99 per pound. And that's Whole Foods.

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options

I live in New Jersey.

I live in b.f.e, with one grocery store within 30 miles. (This makes the food more expensive) bagged lentils are 1.19 a lb here, not on sale. Navy beans/great northern beans are 1.75 for a 2lb bag.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I live in New Jersey.

Connecticut, here. As in, Gas is still $3 a gal, can't get milk for less than $4 per gallon.

Eggs are on sale this week for 99c per dozen, regular is about 2.50. From a farmstand for organic backyard pampered? $5 per doz, max. And, that's still a good bargain for protein of that quality, ounce per ounce.

Dried beans and lentils only go over $1.50 per pound if you buy the super gourmet prepackaged stuff, even at WF bulk, you average about $1-$1.25 per pound for enough to feed a whole family for multiple meals.

A package of Tofu is usually $3 or less, that's also a day's worth of protein for my family of 5.

Frozen veg are usually 99c or less per pound on sale.

• knt217
    knt217 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    vmlabute wrote: »
    Farmer's market is always a great idea, they are completely organic and pretty cheap!!

YMMV, and uh...who cares? Eating healthy /= eating organic. Also, depending on location, this may not yet be an option for the OP. We don't all live in locations with year round growing seasons.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @Realia I hear you about the challenges of shopping in a dense urban environment with few transportation options. When you do have an opportunity to buy (cheaply) in bulk, take it.

@knt217 I can see the OP wanting to make healthier choices. I'm taking a stab that it includes greater variety and more fruits and vegetables.
  • knt217
    knt217 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    @jgnatca My comment was not to the OP- hence the reason for the quoted portion. The OP is trying to save money, she doesn't need to be guilted into the organic scam, and farmers markets aren't always organic anyway. And they also aren't always the best way to save money. I've very rarely saved money at a farmers market over buying things on sale at the store. What farmers markets are good for is getting the freshest produce since it (should) come straight from the farm to the market. And again- the farmers market may not even be an option for the OP at this time of year.
  • LITtlerMeCO
    LITtlerMeCO Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I sympathize with you, I really do. I hate when people say oh it costs the same to eat healthy as it does not to. What crap! I go to the store and I can get 3 boxes of generic Mac&Cheese for $1, or 1 bell pepper IF it's on sale.

What does the bell pepper have to do with anything? You can get real rice, real lentils for less than you're paying for the nutritional wasteland known as boxed mac&cheese.

Cheap, and super easy to "cook".

Mr. Knight that your logic and start walking. There is no place for that here. I just bought a five pound bag of potatoes for $.99--not as cheap as $.19 Ramen but I will get more meals out of that bag of potatoes.