Greek Yogurt - thank you MFP!

Options

Replies

• AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Shoot, I got 2%Fage w/ honey the first time I tried it and was iffy. I decided to try Chobani, Oikos, and kroger brands (plain and all the different flavors) and they are all pretty tasty, but Fage 0% plain is still my favorite. I mix a teaspoon of honey with a 1/2 cup of yogurt and it's delicious. I litterally go through 2 tubs of greek yogurt in a week. :love:
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Fage Total (the full fat) is my absolute favorite. Had 1/2c of it this morning with some fresh blackberries. It's super fluffy compared to the ones with less fat.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Listen, when I first tried the Chobani Honey...I was totally grossed out. I will tell you though, IT IS THE BOMB (other flavors)!!! Try the Chobani Mango, pineapple, black cherry...THOSE ARE MY FAVSSSSSS!!! Love it and you can't beat the protein count...PLUS they don't use milk from rBGH injected cows...so no unnecessary growth hormones either. It is awesome! It is like a dessert treat to me...I almost feel guilty eating the mango one...just love it!

WOW, just found out that FAGE milk is from rBGH free cows too! Hip hip...another brand I will now try...YAY!
  • sunnyk8
    sunnyk8 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I eat Voskos... it's not the mix-in kind but it is flavored. I get the blueberry, strawberry, honey, or honey vanilla bean. They also have fig flavor but I wasn't big on that. I have also had the Fage brand, which is the mix-in kind like you had. They had some weird flavors (like blueberry acai and strawberry goji, I think?) but I enjoyed them! It may just be a personal taste kind of thing.
  • RachelJE
    RachelJE Posts: 172
    Options
    I love the chobani. It has 14 grams of protein, which is awesome!! I try to hit 50-60 grams of protein a day, and chicken gets o.l.d!! So I'm always looking for something new to mix it up. I guess its a matter of taste. I usually stir in some cheerios for some crunch. YUM! :)
  • Gerkenstein
    Gerkenstein Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Fage. It's my fave. I've only had one Chobani and it was not good (strawberry banana), but another one of my MFP friends said it was her fave. :laugh: To each his own.

I go through a tub of 0% Fage a week (mix with honey, granola, cocoa powder, Crystal Light like someone else mentioned). LOVE IT!!! I get the individual ones w/ fruit on the side too (0% ot 2% only, have never had the Fage Total) and they are delicious (blueberry acai & strawberry goji are my faves). I didn't have to get used to it at all, went from Yoplait light to Fage with no problem. I knew it was going to be thicker and a little bitter so I was prepared, but when you mix it with stuff (honey is great!) I can't taste the bitterness at all.

Also check out cookinglight.com they have some great recipes for dips and spreads you can make with Greek yogurt (cucumber dip like the Greek Tsatsiki sauce used on gyros is so easy and so delicious!)

Hope you find a brand or mixture that works for you! I LOVE IT!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    WOW! I have to say, that is DISGUSTING! YUCK! YUCK!!!
    :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

I have tried just about every brand and flavor of Greek Yogurt, and I think all of it tastes the way dirty armpits or feet smell (sour, pungent, rank). I tried to will myself to like it. But I don't, I can't, I won't. No one can make me. Life is too short to eat food I hate. That's all...

I still like regular yogurt though and eat it almost daily in a smoothie. :-)
  • singin_sunrise
    singin_sunrise Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    When you're eating Greek yogurt, definitely go for the most natural ones. Dannon and Yoplait are just trying to make the most out of a trend and aren't making a quality product, thus the yuck. All the posts about Oikos, Chobani, and Fage are right. I eat Oikos fruit on the bottom with 1/4 cup of raw quaker oats mixed in to help get me used to the texture change. Makes it more like a parfait :happy: . If you try a few different ways and still just hate it, try mixing some of the plain Greek yogurt into a smoothie. One of the best Christmas presents I got last year was a personal smoothie maker (kind of like a Bullet). I mix together strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, plain Oikos, Simply Orange, and a little cinnamon. It masks the flavor of the yogurt but still gives you the protein from the yogurt.
  • WeakCalves
    WeakCalves Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm sitting here having some Stonyfield Oikos Plain (my favorite) with strawberries and a tbs of honey for lunch. I've always loved yogurt, maybe that's the reason I love greek yogurt. And I like the plain ones. Sometimes, I'll mix a scoop of whey with it and it's just delicious.
  • Mehs
    Mehs Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm not feeling the greek yogurt either. I just tried the blueberry Yoplait kind this morning and didn't like it. I've also tried Chobani blueberry and strawberry and was grossed by those as well. :sick: A coworker told me the mango and pineapple are pretty good though. I also heard mixing the plain with some sugar free preserves is good but I haven't tried it yet.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Yoplait is vile. Period. If you're going to eat yogurt of any kind, at least buy a quality brand. It may not be economic, but you get what you pay for!
  • msbailey2009
    Options
    I'm a HUGE fan of Greek yogurt, but I'll only eat the Chobani brand. If you eat the normal flavors (plain, vanilla, etc.) it can seem a lot different than yogurt in the same flavors you're used to with the typical yogurt stuff. For that reason, I'd recommend the Chobani Pineapple or Pomegranite, just because if the flavors are COMPLETELY new, you won't be as likely to compare them...

Also, with Greek yogurt, make sure you stir it up REALLY well or the consistancy will definitely weird you out.
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    Fage

Fage Total (the full fat) is my absolute favorite. .

I love, love, love the Fage Free NF Plain
    but
    I might increase my Fat grams and try Fage full-fat Plain
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    just to be fair, not everything we have in our food diaries is because it tastes good .... it's because its good for u! :wink:

that being said, i eat greek yogurt everday, but i eat chobani PLAIN no fat, and mix in my own fresh fruit (banana, blueberries, strawberries, etc). I cannot eat the presweetened ones or the ones with any fruit what-so-ever.
    I agree with you, they are vile!

Try chobani plain and mix in your own "stuff". If you're a coffee lover u can dissolve coffee and a packet of sweetener in 2 TBS of water and mix it with the yogurt. pretty good as well!

Agree ^

It's an aquired taste, I suppose. I love the plain FAGE 0% brand. I add my own fresh fruit and a little fat free whipped topping...mmm :) I've never had the ones with fruit already in them...
  • eatnrun2
    eatnrun2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't find the texture appealing (so thick, ew) so I buy the plain kind, microwave 2/3 cup of mixed berried from Trader Joes and mix it all up. The berries help a lot because they have so much juice that they thin it down and make it more palatable for me. I eat it because I get hungry on my allotted MFP calories and the Greek yogurt really does keep me full for a long time.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I don't care for the taste of the plain greek yogurt, but once you mix in granola and fresh berries, it's a healthy and delicious meal! Most of the time we get the Chobani with the fruit on the bottom. They taste better on their own, but I still occasionally mix in some fresh berries.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    For those of you with texture issues-- do you not like pudding either? Cuz I think Greek yogurt (at least chobani & fage) are very pudding like :)
  • vashley84
    vashley84 Posts: 15
    Options
    I use Greek yogourt as a substitute for cream or mayo or sour cream when I cook, like for pasta dishes for example. Try it and you won't even know you're getting a protein rich substitute! It's pretty nasty alone but as long as you mix it with another substance it helps!
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i love greek yoghut.... i'm in australia, so my brand is not going to help you. but my theory would be to eat the most real looking brand, as opposed to anything with flavourings (like caramel or fruit).

greek yoghurt is not supposed to be strawberry or mango or caramel flavoured.

i hate most yoghurts unless they taste thick and creamy and real.

but with my greek yoghurt, nothing beats stewed apricots (i make my own, have a couple of apricot trees) or honey mixed in with it... it's my little treat, thick, full fat greek yoghurt with honey. it's freakin' awesome.

i think in this world we (the corporations making foods) have totally raped the real flavour of what things are supposed to taste like. greek yoghurt is the way yoghurt was meant to be, and if anyone tried to make me eat those "no fat mango and passionfruit type yoghurts" i'd throw it at them, they are disgusting and watery and sugary... blergh.

same with hommus, make it yourself and taste the difference to the rubbish they sell in supermarkets, it's a totally different product.

same with tomato pasta sauce products. make your own and taste the difference without the sugar, i hate jarred pasta sauces now that i've made my own and recognise what tomato tastes like without added sugar...
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have it mixed in with a small amount of normal flavoured yoghurt (I find them too sweet on their own), or mixed with stewed fruit. Today I had it with blueberries, which works really well. You need something a little bit sweet with it, I find.