Replies

• pittsburgh412
    pittsburgh412 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    LSNC81 wrote: »
    Don't ask about detox tea on here!?! I did and it didn't go down well... Most people say no but I had a few PMs and they told me they do work.. either way I still bought it :)

Again: LAXATIVES

And? So what if there is.. eating too much liquorice or gum is a laxative

Because all you are losing is water and waste products... not actual fat. When you eat or drink anything those pounds that were magically lost suddenly reappear.

The op isn't worried about fat. Her stomach is fine before eating in the morning and bloats as she eats. This is a water, gas, food volume issue.

The only reason I wouldn't suggest the detox/ex lax teas is if taken regularly they will cause the inability to use the bathroom without them.

Is it bloating or is it poor muscle tone and gravity is taking over? If it is bloating, you would also have digestive issues like excessive burping or flatulence. I would start with exercises that strengthen the core muscles and practice engaging your core all of the time. If you are having other digestive issues, then look into possible food problems.

I'm going to have to start going with this idea.

Maybe your problem is not food related at all. Perhaps you aren't having an actual bloating problem and your digestive system is just fine. You seem perfectly healthy, so...

Do you strength train? If not, then your abs may still be weak and unable to maintain a flat stomach, so when you eat food, gravity takes over and causes your stomach to bulge.

I do strength train , I know a lot of people take a day for abs but I don't ! Maybe I should start haha, I just never did because I just don't care to have crazy abs just a flat stomach but if it will help then maybe I should start

No harm, no foul. It is the hardest, yet most important part of the both to build strength.

What are some good workouts ?

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Don't ask about detox tea on here!?! I did and it didn't go down well... Most people say no but I had a few PMs and they told me they do work.. either way I still bought it :)

Because all you are losing is water and waste products... not actual fat. When you eat or drink anything those pounds that were magically lost suddenly reappear.

The op isn't worried about fat. Her stomach is fine before eating in the morning and bloats as she eats. This is a water, gas, food volume issue.

The only reason I wouldn't suggest the detox/ex lax teas is if taken regularly they will cause the inability to use the bathroom without them.

Is it bloating or is it poor muscle tone and gravity is taking over? If it is bloating, you would also have digestive issues like excessive burping or flatulence. I would start with exercises that strengthen the core muscles and practice engaging your core all of the time. If you are having other digestive issues, then look into possible food problems.

Maybe your problem is not food related at all. Perhaps you aren't having an actual bloating problem and your digestive system is just fine. You seem perfectly healthy, so...

Do you strength train? If not, then your abs may still be weak and unable to maintain a flat stomach, so when you eat food, gravity takes over and causes your stomach to bulge.

I do strength train , I know a lot of people take a day for abs but I don't ! Maybe I should start haha, I just never did because I just don't care to have crazy abs just a flat stomach but if it will help then maybe I should start

No harm, no foul. It is the hardest, yet most important part of the both to build strength.

I hate a day dedicated to core, so I do one core workout at the beginning or end of all my lifting days and focus on using my core to stabilize through all my lifts no matter how isolated they are.

Just another way to get in your core work without hating an entire workout.

What kind of workouts would be good

Crunches or leg raises are all you really need.
  • pittsburgh412
    Options
    I feel you there. Whenever I eat or drink ANYTHING, I bloat. I have fallen for all the fad and magically "solutions" that are out there, detox tea being one of them. I can say that it definitely does not work and I am just glad that I didn't experience any nasty side effects. Right now, I am focusing portion control, quality of food intake, and flushing my system constantly with water :)

Yes ! Exactly haha. So no to the teas then ? Hopefully portion control and water will help you ! It just sucks putting in all this work and not getting anywhere else (when it come to my stomach) and to me that is the most important part ... After the glutes
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options

I hate a day dedicated to core, so I do one core workout at the beginning or end of all my lifting days and focus on using my core to stabilize through all my lifts no matter how isolated they are.

I like planks(all kinds) Hanging leg raises and V-ups. Other than that, compound movements are great core workouts (squat, dead lifts, rows, presses) make sure you have someone who knows the moves help you with form in the beginning.

Another thing to do is something called a stomach vacuum. This strengthens the inner lining of muscle. These can be done anytime and take no equipment. I do them standing in line and at red lights.
  • pittsburgh412
    Options

Once a week, Or more ?
  • pittsburgh412
    Options

I like planks(all kinds) Hanging leg raises and V-ups. Other than that, compound movements are great core workouts (squat, dead lifts, rows, presses) make sure you have someone who knows the moves help you with form in the beginning.

Another thing to do is something called a stomach vacuum. This strengthens the inner lining of muscle. These can be done anytime and take no equipment. I do them standing in line and at red lights.

Thanks ! I've never really focused on mainly core workouts, do you think if I start doing them it will help ?
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options

Yes ! Exactly haha. So no to the teas then ? Hopefully portion control and water will help you ! It just sucks putting in all this work and not getting anywhere else (when it come to my stomach) and to me that is the most important part ... After the glutes

We are one of a kind! Teas are definitely no end all solution (at least for losing weight), but I do drink tea as another way to help my water intake. It's the most frustrating thing that there is no spot reduction especially with my stomach being one of my main insecurities, but I tend to go heavier on my core, leg, and glute workouts and keep plugging away (yes I have my ups and downs too) :)

You've got it, perseverance ;)
  • ladyglamazon
    ladyglamazon Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Look into probiotics, especially if you suspect that you have digestive issues. I have IBS, and no matter how thin I am, my stomach is always a bit bloated. I take Align and Florastor (both probiotics that I rotate) and they help a lot. It might take time to find the right strain of probiotic for your particular issue. They take about 2 weeks before you notice anything.

Also, if you are chewing a lot of gum or using artificial sweetners, they can also cause bloating. So can drinking through straws. Maybe keep a journal of your symptoms, and see if there are foods that are aggravating you.

It IS possible to have food sensitivities without a diagnosed allergy. If you eat something and feel awful afterwards, and it's a pattern, those foods disagree with you for whatever reason. If you notice that you get bloated or feel icky after eating wheat or dairy or whatever, try taking them out of your diet for a bit to see if that helps.
  • chivalryder
    Options

Once a week, Or more ?

The general recommendation you will often hear is "frequently, but no more than once every 48 hours." In other words, you can add them to every strength training day you have, as long as you don't work the same muscles more often than once every other day.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do crunches. Swap it out for planks.

Start working out 3 times a week. Here you go:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine
  • chivalryder
    Options

Thanks ! I've never really focused on mainly core workouts, do you think if I start doing them it will help ?

The core workouts are by far the most important for overall strength, good posture, and all that lovely stuff. It doesn't matter how strong your arms or legs get, if you have a weak core, you'll never be able to reach high levels of performance.

Starting to do them will help you out in every way.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

One more thing. How is your posture? How you hold yourself can make a big difference. As my gym teacher mother (now long retired) always reminded me, "stand straight: shoulders back and suck in your gut". Sucking in your gut (aka engaging your core) whatever you are doing like walking, standing, sitting, etc. will also help strengthen it plus develop a lifetime of good structural habits.

• pittsburgh412
    Options
    Look into probiotics, especially if you suspect that you have digestive issues. I have IBS, and no matter how thin I am, my stomach is always a bit bloated. I take Align and Florastor (both probiotics that I rotate) and they help a lot. It might take time to find the right strain of probiotic for your particular issue. They take about 2 weeks before you notice anything.

Also, if you are chewing a lot of gum or using artificial sweetners, they can also cause bloating. So can drinking through straws. Maybe keep a journal of your symptoms, and see if there are foods that are aggravating you.

It IS possible to have food sensitivities without a diagnosed allergy. If you eat something and feel awful afterwards, and it's a pattern, those foods disagree with you for whatever reason. If you notice that you get bloated or feel icky after eating wheat or dairy or whatever, try taking them out of your diet for a bit to see if that helps.

Thank you !!
  • chivalryder
    Options
    I wouldn't do crunches. Swap it out for planks.

Start working out 3 times a week. Here you go:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine

My personal preference are leg raises. I won't get into reasoning or details.

My personal problem with planks is there is no range of motion. Yes, it will strengthen them, but it's only one position held for a period of time. What about when your abs are fully flexed or fully extended?
  • pittsburgh412
    Options

We are one of a kind! Teas are definitely no end all solution (at least for losing weight), but I do drink tea as another way to help my water intake. It's the most frustrating thing that there is no spot reduction especially with my stomach being one of my main insecurities, but I tend to go heavier on my core, leg, and glute workouts and keep plugging away (yes I have my ups and downs too) :)

You've got it, perseverance ;)

I'm pretty happy with the rest of my body ! I wish we could spot reduce our stomachs hahah

• pittsburgh412
    Options

Once a week, Or more ?

The general recommendation you will often hear is "frequently, but no more than once every 48 hours." In other words, you can add them to every strength training day you have, as long as you don't work the same muscles more often than once every other day.

Awesome thanks
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options

A strong core changes more visually than any other muscle in your body over a short period of time. Your core is your natural "corset" and it will serve you well to strengthen it!
  • chivalryder
    Options

Once a week, Or more ?

Awesome thanks

That being said, if you start just doing it once a week, you will notice a difference.
  • pittsburgh412
    Options

One more thing. How is your posture? How you hold yourself can make a big difference. As my gym teacher mother (now long retired) always reminded me, "stand straight: shoulders back and suck in your gut". Sucking in your gut (aka engaging your core) whatever you are doing like walking, standing, sitting, etc. will also help strengthen it plus develop a lifetime of good structural habits.

I don't have the best posture haha I'll have to work on it
  • pittsburgh412
    Options

A strong core changes more visually than any other muscle in your body over a short period of time. Your core is your natural "corset" and it will serve you well to strengthen it!

Thanks for all the help