What do you think of the obesity epidemic in the U.S.?

1272829303133»

Replies

• I definitely think its a huge problem here in the US and other countries. But it also depends on where you are. In Florida, my class size of 112 I'm one of two people who are overweight. Ages range from 22 to 34. Which is a lot different then when I went to undergrad on the west coast, i had more company there lol
  • I definitely think its a huge problem here in the US and other countries. But it also depends on where you are. In Florida, my class size of 112 I'm one of two people who are overweight. Ages range from 22 to 34. Which is a lot different then when I went to undergrad on the west coast, i had more company there lol
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    tomatoey wrote: »
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Merkavar wrote: »
    The part I don't get is why is body positive part of feminism. Seems out of place. But that's getting off topic.

Why does it seem out of place with feminism? Women have been objectified, considered overgrown children or personal property, inferior, & unequal for centuries.

My daughter right now says she hates feminism. What she actually hates is what I call the crazy over the edge man-hating feminism - but if she had to grow up not too long ago where it was common and normal for women to be sexually harassed, paid a lesser wage if they got past being a secretary, to be denied the right to vote or be denied the right to her own bank account in her own name without her father's or husband's permission...she might have a different idea of what true feminism is about.

this perplexes me, because i've never seen a "crazy over the edge man-hating feminist" in real life. every feminist i've known wants equal pay, equal treatment at work, full reproductive rights, etc. all have partners or brothers or fathers they care about. it's a bogeywoman, very sad

Spend a few months on a college campus. I've sadly met more of them than I was comfortable with, and my only hope is that they somehow grow out of it before they have children of their own.
  • Mistapholeezkat
    Mistapholeezkat Posts: 80 Member
    stackhsc wrote: »
    similar experiences. Sitting outside the dollar store one day last year and i estimated around 70-80 percent overweigh and over half of that would have been bmi classed at or near enough at obese.
    I have started to notice that in grocery stores i tend to see a smaller percentage of overweight folks in the produce and "heatlhy" areas and more overweight in the frozen foods and snack isles...... while this makes sense on the face of it i also have started to wonder how much of it is about choices and how much is about the cost of food. Prepared foods and snacks tend to be cheap or on sale while produce and healthy foods tend not to be so much. I know since we have started eating healthier our bill has gone up a fair bit and im sure many cant afford it. I also suspect its the vicious cycle thing too of you get use to what you eat.

I think it comes down to mindless eating and uncontrolled portions. We can all eat processed foods/junk foods (not promoting this) and as long as it is in your calorie goals it is fine. Saying they can't afford healthy food is causing obesity is something I don't agree with.