Running 5K tomorrow, what and when to eat?

Options
Hello, I am running a 5k tomorrow and am wondering what to eat to fuel the run and when to eat it. Thank you!

Replies

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    What have you normally been eating in training?

Standard advice is to try nothing new before a race as you don't know how your body will react.
  • cfredz
    cfredz Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    last 5k i did i ate a bowl of protein oatmeal about 1-1.5hr beforehand
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    What have you normally been eating in training?

Standard advice is to try nothing new before a race as you don't know how your body will react.
    This. You don't need to cram in a lot of carbs for a 5k the way you might want to for a longer run. Just keep doing what you've been doing.

• gsayler860
    gsayler860 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The morning of the race a light breakfast is best. Toast with peanut butter and a small glass of OJ. Just enough to keep your stomach from grumbling. Too much makes you sluggish. Eat way too much and you may end up seeing it again splattered on the side of the road.
  • yusaku02
    Options
    oh, do make sure you're hydrated though!
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Whatever you would normally eat before running 5k
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    you will get lots of answers here... For me, I eat nothing the day of event. I ran my half marathon on an empty stomach. The night before, I tackle some grilled chicken, rice and macaroni :) I like carbs :)

Keep in mind, you will have at least one water stop in a 5k which should have some gatorade or similar drink for refueling.
  • Iron_Feline
    edited April 2015
    Options
    you will get lots of answers here... For me, I eat nothing the day of event. I ran my half marathon on an empty stomach. The night before, I tackle some grilled chicken, rice and macaroni :) I like carbs :)

Keep in mind, you will have at least one water stop in a 5k which should have some gatorade or similar drink for refueling.

What? I've never seen a water stop in a 5k. In fact most people don't even need water during a 5k race, certainly not Gatorade.

That said if it does have a water stop with a drink you've never had before - DON'T drink it. you have no idea how you will react to it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    Whatever you would normally eat before running 5k

This.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a bagel before a race. Or maybe nothing at all, race morning. I enjoy my post-race beer. If one is not provided, I tend to choose a different race. I don't think I've ever had a better tasting beer than the one after the race.

In all seriousness, eat the things that worked well for you in training. If you noticed that you felt poorly after a specific food, or if you ran too soon after eating, those are things you'd want to avoid doing again. You should be well-hydrated before your race, but not glugging water at the starting line, either. Hopefully, you've got that handled, today. Best of luck on your race.
  • ninav1980
    edited April 2015
    Options

What? I've never seen a water stop in a 5k. In fact most people don't even need water during a 5k race, certainly not Gatorade.

That said if it does have a water stop with a drink you've never had before - DON'T drink it. you have no idea how you will react to it.

really? I see them all the time. Not everyone is on the same fitness level and some will need a water break.
  • MrsKGrady
    MrsKGrady Posts: 276 Member
    Options

I did 17 5ks last year and the majority of them had at least one water spot.
  • yusaku02
    Options

I've done the warrior dash a couple times and there were water stops. Probably depends on the race.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    ninav1980 wrote: »

really? I see them all the time.

Maybe it's a country thing as I'm in the UK. Water after - yep but never during, who'd want to waste 30 seconds pausing for water in a 5k. Every second counts in those evil things.
  • ninav1980
    Options

• Iron_Feline
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »

I've done the warrior dash a couple times and there were water stops. Probably depends on the race.

I wouldn't consider a warrior dash a typical 5k though.

Seems to be a difference in countries.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    MrsKGrady wrote: »

I did 17 5ks last year and the majority of them had at least one water spot.

I did a santa dash 5k last year and we stopped in the middle for a beer - but we had to pay for that, does that count? :laugh:
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I don't run many 5ks, maybe one or two a year. I don't know that I've seen a water station. Maybe they have them and I'm just ignoring them though. Anyway, you certainly don't need gatorade for a 5k, and if you aren't used to drinking it, taking it during the race would be a mistake anyway.

So just do what you normally do. No need to 'carb load' or anything for a 5k. And if you were going to carb load, the night before is too late to do anything. Eating a huge amount of something you're not used to will just lead to stomach problems.
  • ninav1980
    Options
    ninav1980 wrote: »

really? I see them all the time.

Maybe it's a country thing as I'm in the UK. Water after - yep but never during, who'd want to waste 30 seconds pausing for water in a 5k. Every second counts in those evil things.

I dont think the UK is as hot and humid as Houston TX. Im usually soaked after every run. Even after a small 5k run.

Oh, for the record.... I never drink water on my runs, it slows me down. The longest Ive ever ran is a 1/2 marathon. Training for my first full in January and I suppose I will not be able to go without water for this distance though. Im only human :)