Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    rosehips60 wrote: »
    :'(:'(:'( I live in Iowa, couldn't get a proper bagel to save my soul

That'll save you about 900 calories! ;)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    And here I thought it was Designated Husband. That's who DH is in my head.

It might be interesting to run a mindfulness exercise with 1/8 bagel. Multiply the pleasure with a fraction of the volume. The problem with cravings is when the feeling overwhelms, the food tends to be vacuumed instead of tasted. The "experience" then has to be repeated several more times to derive any pleasure. (Frankly, that's how a lot of addictive substances work, too. Rare the drug that delivers the same high as the first time.)

Mindfulness exercise

You know what? I might just try this. Even though I've got the attention span of a Jack Russell.

I'll get some fresh bagels, slice off 1/8, and run through the exercise, blogging in real time (IRT). Sound like fun? Mmmmm, this might take some preparation. Like warming up the butter to room temperature first, and some light toasting.

Getting.

Hungry.

I'll get back in a day or two. This will take some planning. Now...to pick the bakery....
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

Mindfulness exercise

I'll get back in a day or two. This will take some planning. Now...to pick the bakery....

WOW, that is a very detailed page, talk about mindful eating.
    ;) I can see how it may take you several days to get back here after trying out that experiment. :D

I myself was only able to skim it..
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Well, that didn't work out the way it was supposed to. You should be able to figure out why I said the Jewish thing. That ones pretty obvious. But you weren't supposed to be Jewish. You ruined the joke. Don't be Jewish next time.

I'll keep that in mind. For next time. :)
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Well today's bagels are the carb & calorie equivalent of 4 or 5 pieces of toast, so no matter the cheesy spicy goodness, I'd think twice. Grate a bit of cheese & add chopped jalapenos to a piece of toast and broil in the oven. Save yourself a couple of hundred calories.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Are those salt bagels?!?!?! :heart:

Nope. Sesame seed bagels from St-Viateur or Fairmount.

...The great debate continues.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    haha, i had no idea cheesy jalapeno bagels existed, lol! i'm sorry they're causing such consternation!

if it were me, i'd ask DH to just not bring them home. or he could just bring one home on a special day and then you could plan around that.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I eat a cheesy jalapeno bagel for breakfast just about every morning. Fits in my day just fine, not hurting my progress at all.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    If you love them - eat them! They can easily be accommodated in a healthy diet. I have a bagel or two every once in awhile!
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I've never liked bagels; way too tough and chewy and always seemed odd to me. Then I found out they were boiled in water and understood why they were that way.

Not surprised to see you give an opinion like that.

I'm from New Orleans, where REAL bread is served.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,976 Member
    Options
    I've never liked bagels; way too tough and chewy and always seemed odd to me. Then I found out they were boiled in water and understood why they were that way.

Not surprised to see you give an opinion like that.

I'm from New Orleans, where REAL bread is served.
    Yeah okay. If that's what you want to believe. Run along now.
    Montreal bagels for the win.

• Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    The Wegman's jalapeno cheddar bagels I get are (supposedly) 300 calories with 14g protein per 4 oz. bagel. Most of them are actually between 4.3 and 4.5 oz, so they end up being about 330-350 each. I don't think that's a high calorie breakfast. They don't need any cream cheese. I just pop them in the microwave for about 20 seconds to warm & soften them a little.

They might be higher calorie than that, but it's not "off" enough to hurt my progress. I'm actually losing faster than I expected.
  • BeaBizzy
    BeaBizzy Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have a bagel every morning for breakfast and can still lose weight. Bagels are delicious.

May have to look at exercise to fit it into weight loss.
  • BeaBizzy
    Options
    Hmm. Cheesy jalapeno bagels sound amazing!! You're making me hungry! LOL I believe I'd be making that fit into my day and cutting elsewhere to allow for something you clearly enjoy :)

I am tring 1/2 plain bagel today! Seem satisfied for now. I cut on dinner cal to fit in the half bagel.
  • BeaBizzy
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I'm getting good tired of seeing it and not knowing what it means, what does DH mean? Watch it be something so stupidly easy to figure out.

As far as your bagels go, I have no advice because I live in NYC and the only substitute for a bagel allowed here is a different flavor bagel.

Hear, hear!

*am not from NY*

Yeah, did not think I would find a replacement for Bagels. Working at this from other angels to see if a half bagel once in a while will keep me from loosing weight. Just need to watch cal onthose days better and/or exercise more maybe.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    1/2 a bagel is a great way to moderate that! You should be able to fit that in just fine...occasionally anyway! :-) You also could try telling yourself you can have them once a week but not everyday. Or just enjoy the 1/2 you are eating!