The curse of the BAGEL

Options

Replies

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I've never liked bagels; way too tough and chewy and always seemed odd to me. Then I found out they were boiled in water and understood why they were that way.

Not surprised to see you give an opinion like that.

I'm from New Orleans, where REAL bread is served.

Not surprised to see anything that you're surprised at.
  • BeaBizzy
    BeaBizzy Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Are those salt bagels?!?!?! :heart:

Nope. Sesame seed bagels from St-Viateur or Fairmount.

...The great debate continues.

I like sesame seed bagels too. Gee I thought the picture was salt too ... like on pretzels.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    should never have read all of this bagel talk...craving chewy, warm bread....good thing there is none in the house!
  • BeaBizzy
    Options
    The Wegman's jalapeno cheddar bagels I get are (supposedly) 300 calories with 14g protein per 4 oz. bagel. Most of them are actually between 4.3 and 4.5 oz, so they end up being about 330-350 each. I don't think that's a high calorie breakfast. They don't need any cream cheese. I just pop them in the microwave for about 20 seconds to warm & soften them a little.

They might be higher calorie than that, but it's not "off" enough to hurt my progress. I'm actually losing faster than I expected.

Thats great ... I may need to curb my cravings a bit so I dont eat my calories for the day and add 1 or 2 bagels on top ruining my day.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I am cutting right now, and I still eat bagels about three times a week and have no issue with losing about a pound per week…

why not just fit it into your day?
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    should never have read all of this bagel talk...craving chewy, warm bread....good thing there is none in the house!

Hah! You think that's bad? It's Passover, ergo, no bread for me all week. Oh man, I could go for a bagel right now.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Well today's bagels are the carb & calorie equivalent of 4 or 5 pieces of toast, so no matter the cheesy spicy goodness, I'd think twice. Grate a bit of cheese & add chopped jalapenos to a piece of toast and broil in the oven. Save yourself a couple of hundred calories.

so what? If she stays in a deficit and hits her macro/micro minimums for the day, what does it matter?
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    I've never liked bagels; way too tough and chewy and always seemed odd to me. Then I found out they were boiled in water and understood why they were that way.

You...quoted yourself. Are you looking in the mirror and commenting on MFP?!?

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

Lol. You know the Internet is hard to learn.
    Kind of funny watching her disagree. . .with herself.
  • BeaBizzy
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    suruda wrote: »

Hah! You think that's bad? It's Passover, ergo, no bread for me all week. Oh man, I could go for a bagel right now.

So sorry about the timing ... it just hit like a ton of bricks ... my craving! I have messed up more than a couple days with these bagels.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Oh fresh New York bagels... I miss you so.

I know nothing of this Montreal nonsense.

Bread? Meh. You can get great bread all over the Northeast. I miss that too.
  • ndj1979
    Options

talking to yourself?
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I have been getting mini bagels, they are around 100 calories for one. If I get a regular bagel I only eat half--usually the top since that's where the goodies are. I don't have them often because I need to watch my carbs but they are worth the treat to work it into my daily allotment.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

You need to read more carefully.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    Oh fresh New York bagels... I miss you so.

I know nothing of this Montreal nonsense.

Bread? Meh. You can get great bread all over the Northeast. I miss that too.
    It's well known that NY'ers sneak up to Montreal for bagels and the lox and crème cheese, not to mention the Montreal smoked meat. Your just in denial.

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

Yeah, I don't know. I'm pretty sure if you want real bread, you have to go to Europe. European bread puts anything in North America to shame.
  • ndj1979
    edited April 2015
    Options

Yeah, I don't know. I'm pretty sure if you want real bread, you have to go to Europe. European bread puts anything in North America to shame.

I live about three hours from NOLA and it is known for a lot of things, but bread is usually not in my top five list …..
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options

Not any more......or at least that's been my experience over the last decade.....