"Professional" lifter

Options
Writing this post to vent my thoughts (can be deadly way to start this off but oh well...here it goes...)

I'm a middle manager for a private investment bank. So it terms of fitness based off of my 15 years of school and workplace there are typical just two types of people in finance (again these are my personal thoughts and observations)...there is either the avid runner who also does a soft sport for recreational (tennis, softball, racquetball, dodgeball or kickball. Only on occasion I see basketball or a running club...again avid runners) and then there is the non fitness type, barely any activity besides their walk from the subway to work, or walking their dog. That is it, that is what is socially acceptable.

The purpose of this rant is based on a story I told at work. I recently started the fievfourclub, which is a site that sends you clothes based on personal preference. For those who know I started MFP as a better more efficient way to track my macros. So this happened at the end of my bulking diet to try and burst through plateaus lifting. Anyway back to my clothes...I got a really nice dress shirt, fitted me nicely except for my arms. The morning after putting it on the second time before work I lifted my my arm and the shirt ripped...not at my belly but at my chest and tricep (very little fat areas for me) I laughed it off and was proud of myself because this was when I hit most of my personal records.

I went into work that day and told my team the story and what I saw of eavesdroppers shocked me. Faces of disgust. In many meetings before I have seen the stereotypical button pop off someone's belly of their shirt (yes this actually happens in real life) and half people laugh but overall are smiling and supportive, but the look I got telling of my shirt mishap was nothing but hate.

Why? Because everyone knows I lift. Typically to play non-conventional sports MMA, football, rugby (tried it out and still kind of suck)...so I'm always relatively strong and athletic with some stages fatty like right now. But why is that so bad? What is wrong with being a professional actually liking iron? I don't disrespect runners, I think it takes just as much mental and physical stamina as a lifter. There's just a difference I have seen people between 120 lbs - 300 lbs run marathons (match.com is a funny website). Seems like the 26.2 club is stacked so it's not something that for me personally I would say is see as a personal accomplishment (I am saying me. If it is for you, do you!) but again what is wrong for striving for a 300+ lbs bench or a 135 lbs barbell curl? Is there anyone else out there like me who just wants to lift heavy things while still getting the same respect in the white collar world as a squash player?

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    That was kind of hard to follow.

I lift and I run, I used to take self defense and I rarely got comments from my coworkers. A lot of which are largely sedentary.

But how are tennis, kickball, dodgeball, etc "soft sports"?
    Because there's no contact?
    Also I wouldn't call football, rugby, or MMA "non-conventional sports"
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I don't care what other people do, or do not think, about my chosen physical activities.

I structure my training for my goals and that's that.

Perhaps it's a weird US thing? A lot of guys lift and fight here. Nobody really seems to care much, one way or the other...

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I get what your saying and being the business see your point clearly. I have always lifted heavy and up until last year looked like a power lifter. In the past year I have removed about 40 lbs (a lot of muscle) from my body dropped my weight to 200 lbs and do a lot more cardio. I can still bench 315lbs but not 8-10 times anymore. I'm not sure how old you are I'm 46 and am more into body weight reps now. I can bench, dead lift and squat my body weight 20 times. Most of my co-workers ask my advice on fitness and have seen my "life style" change take place in just one year. My advice to you is just do and look your best because your admired more than you know.. Yesturday I got the you are always eating how do you keep the weight off? Healthy food, healthy life style, active life style. My Father always told me be the first one to work and the last one to leave and you will be great.. I get up at 5 every morning hit the gym come home ride my bike and am at work before the rest of the hung over bunch. Just be you the rest will work out. Just be you!!! I lift because I love it the body is just a plus!!!
  • upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I consider sports that the average person can play competitively past the age of 60 soft. Kickball - yes, dodgeball - yes (seen it locally and regionally), golf - yes, tennis - yes... And yes in the business world MMA, rugby and football when drinking beers at a bar is not non-conventional but when you know a co-worker who actively competes that is considered non-conventional. Finally yes I understand it's hard to follow because I wasn't writing to send as a college paper, I was venting my thoughts
  • jimmmer
    Options
    I consider sports that the average person can play competitively past the age of 60 soft. Kickball - yes, dodgeball - yes (seen it locally and regionally), golf - yes, tennis - yes... And yes in the business world MMA, rugby and football when drinking beers at a bar is not non-conventional but when you know a co-worker who actively competes that is considered non-conventional. Finally yes I understand it's hard to follow because I wasn't writing to send as a college paper, I was venting my thoughts

I'm thinking this must be cultural, 'cause in the UK lots of people in business enjoy playing rugby. A whole lot of people also box, do muay thai, BJJ... these are not niche activities.

And as for beer...
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to lift, regardless of whatever your career is. Ignore those who put any negative connotation to it. If you love doing it, do it. I'm a woman, a manager in a software company, and I love to lift (but am not even close to having the body to show for it yet). Could care less if there are those who think anything negatively about it. Seriously, ignore the haters.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    nevermind
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Maybe they were just surprised and didn't know what to say in that moment. Unless you are constantly talking about lifting and popping buttons and splitting your shirt, my guess is that they don't really care one way or the other. I'm a female accountant in her late 30s who lifts. I don't think that my workers have even thought about it enough to have an opinion one way or the other. I don't mean that in a "boohoo, nobody pays attention to me way" but, seriously, most people are fairly self-centered and spend way more time thinking about themselves, their work, their family/friends, etc. than they spend thinking about their coworkers' recreational and fitness endeavors.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I work in an office full of women and for a long time was the only one who did any exercise at all. I don't really talk about it with them though, unless they ask specific questions. A couple of them have recently joined fitness centers and are making a few lifestyle changes and I'm happy for them, but I still don't talk to them about it because 1. I don't need reinforcement from others about how I feel, look or what I do and 2. most other people really don't care what other people do. Perhaps your co-workers feel like you judge them for only doing "soft" sports and running. And beer? Are you saying something is wrong with drinking beer or that you do and they look down on you for that too?
  • BAFilek
    BAFilek Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    My son sells jewelry in a mall (big name chain) and lifts - he's very successful. He competes in all natural body building competitions. I think, and this may be the mom in me, that people are attracted to his build, and that is what makes him so successful.
    Nothing wrong with lifting - no matter what your profession.

btw, my husband, daughter and I all also lift - although not to the level of my son!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Maybe your colleagues don't dislike the fact that you lift, but rather dislike the fact that you look down on so many other sports? I mean, calling something people do to stay fit and active "soft" is a little crappy. My opinion, of course.

I'm getting the humble brag disguised as a vent vibe here.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    Maybe your colleagues don't dislike the fact that you lift, but rather dislike the fact that you look down on so many other sports? I mean, calling something people do to stay fit and active "soft" is a little crappy. My opinion, of course.

I'm getting the humble brag disguised as a vent vibe here.

You said that a lot politer than I could have
  • upgradeddiddy
    Options
    JenAndSome wrote: »
    I work in an office full of women and for a long time was the only one who did any exercise at all. I don't really talk about it with them though, unless they ask specific questions. A couple of them have recently joined fitness centers and are making a few lifestyle changes and I'm happy for them, but I still don't talk to them about it because 1. I don't need reinforcement from others about how I feel, look or what I do and 2. most other people really don't care what other people do. Perhaps your co-workers feel like you judge them for only doing "soft" sports and running. And beer? Are you saying something is wrong with drinking beer or that you do and they look down on you for that too?

Judge for drinking beer? Obviously we aren't friends on MFP:

se0iwwqd0ync.jpg

What I meant by that statement is that the sports are not conventional in social settings (one specific setting being being out drinking beers) but when it's a client manager of multibillion dollar investments is frowned upon (by many but my direct team knows me and asks me all the time about it)
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    How much does it pay being a "Professional" lifter?
  • brandi9172
    brandi9172 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think I get what you're saying. Unfortunately it seems like people who "lift heavy *kitten*" often get viewed as more brutish than anything. While running and tennis are 'clean'.
  • upgradeddiddy
    Options
    How much does it pay being a "Professional" lifter?

A happier more mentally balanced me. "One day I'll be able to get a therapist and get the help that I need. Until then, I have the gym."
  • PhilP0wer
    PhilP0wer Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I agree with whatatime. You just have to ignore the haters. I'm an avid lifter and a computer programmer. Lifting is how I destress my brain after a long day, plus I like how it makes me look. Unfortunately all my peers are either sedentary or runners. Twice I've had a moron accuse me of taking steroids just because I'm bigger than they are. At 205 lbs it boggles my mind. I'm only considered big when I'm at work, at the gym I'm middle of the pack at best. I think that what you're interpreting as disgust and hate is actually jealousy. The way I see it is if they're jealous then your workouts are working. For your last question about white collar respect for lifters, I used to care about that too. Now I just figure if nobody is jealous then I must be slacking :)
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    brandi9172 wrote: »
    I think I get what you're saying. Unfortunately it seems like people who "lift heavy *kitten*" often get viewed as more brutish than anything. While running and tennis are 'clean'.

What?
    That makes zero sense
  • jimmmer
    Options
    I'm still not following....

what is so outlandish about playing Rugby or doing MMA? And what is "soft" about playing tennis?

I am much confused!