OHP in squat rack?

Options

Replies

• Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »
    The big problem with doing presses out of any sort of rack is that, eventually, you will be able to press more than you can clean which is obviously weak sauce. Just clean the bar and press it over your head. You're in the gym to do work anyway so just do the work!
    Your workout sucks because you can't dive.

Diving is a far cry from being strong so your analogy was really just an immature hyperbole.

There is a good reason for cleaning the bar. Having a power clean that is equal to your overhead press insures that you have the ability to apply that overhead pressing power in a real life situation. Outside of the gym, you need to get something to your shoulders before you can press it over head. If you can't get a barbell to your shoulders before you press it, how do you expect to do the same with an awkward object like a heavy box, etc.... that is even more difficult to grip and handle than a barbell?

I don’t disagree that being able to power clean is a good thing, but if I’m on a push/pull program, I don’t necessarily want to do a clean on my push days.

I could understand that. Personally, I like doing cleans on my push days because they get me "loosened up" from the deadlifting earlier in the week. Since I'm just doing cleans to get ready to do my strict presses I am never really handling big weights though.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    You guys keep saying "clean the bar" - what does that mean? Sorry, I'm new at this heavy lifting stuff.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The big problem with doing presses out of any sort of rack is that, eventually, you will be able to press more than you can clean which is obviously weak sauce. Just clean the bar and press it over your head. You're in the gym to do work anyway so just do the work!

Diving is a far cry from being strong so your analogy was really just an immature hyperbole.

There is a good reason for cleaning the bar. Having a power clean that is equal to your overhead press insures that you have the ability to apply that overhead pressing power in a real life situation. Outside of the gym, you need to get something to your shoulders before you can press it over head. If you can't get a barbell to your shoulders before you press it, how do you expect to do the same with an awkward object like a heavy box, etc.... that is even more difficult to grip and handle than a barbell?
    I didn't say my goal was to be strong. That's your goal. If it's fine for you to evaluate everything everyone else does based on your goal, it's only fair if I do the same. Therefore, your workout, which doesn't help you become a better diver, is a total waste of time. It won't help you do anything but wussie dives like cannonballs.

Why would the OP do overhead presses if they weren't at all interested in strength?

I am not talking about your goals because, frankly, I could not possibly care less about what your goals are. I am talking about the OP's goals; and the OP is lifting weights, not diving.
    Probably for the same variety of reasons that almost everyone else on here does OHP without cleaning the bar first. Just because someone wants to lift or become stronger doesn't mean their goal is maximizing strength at the expense of other things.
  • Lofteren
    edited April 2015
    Options

I didn't say my goal was to be strong. That's your goal. If it's fine for you to evaluate everything everyone else does based on your goal, it's only fair if I do the same. Therefore, your workout, which doesn't help you become a better diver, is a total waste of time. It won't help you do anything but wussie dives like cannonballs.

Why would the OP do overhead presses if they weren't at all interested in strength?

I am not talking about your goals because, frankly, I could not possibly care less about what your goals are. I am talking about the OP's goals; and the OP is lifting weights, not diving.
    Probably for the same variety of reasons that almost everyone else on here does OHP without cleaning the bar first. Just because someone wants to lift or become stronger doesn't mean their goal is maximizing strength at the expense of other things.

So they strength train but they don't want to get stronger.... That makes sense...
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

So they strength train but they don't want to get stronger.... That makes sense...
    False dichotomy is false. So is strawman. That would be why it doesn't make sense.
  • Lofteren
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »

I honestly don't get your point. The purpose of the OHP is to work my delts, triceps, core, and some other bits. The purpose of a clean is explosive strength involving the legs, core, and various other bits... but not really the delts or triceps.

They are not the same thing, in fact they aren't even related.

I never argued that they were the same. My point was that the OP is lifting weights so they must therefore intend on becoming stronger or developing more muscle. Cleaning the weight will only aid in those efforts and will keep the squat rack clear for other people who want to use it for its intended purpose.

Your argument about the purpose of OHP being to "work my delts, triceps, core and some other bits" doesn't make a lot of sense unless you are only lifting to have something to do. Most people expect to elicit a physical adaptation from their training; not just "work" some muscles (stating that a lift is there to "work" a muscle is on par with stating that a lift is there to "tone"). The obvious adaptations being elicited from weighted exercises are increases in strength and muscle mass.
  • Lofteren
    edited April 2015
    Options

False dichotomy is false. So is strawman. That would be why it doesn't make sense.

False sense of superiority through the use of deflection and rhetoric is also false.
  • neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I don't consider it inappropriate to do OHP in the squat rack, even if there is only one. I would ask how many sets they have left and let them know you need it to squat.

I agree over head press needs the space and the smith machine doesn't give you the same type of workout. I would be considerate of other people but if you are like many people with OHP you can't do a ton of them so it shouldn't take too long.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I once saw an OAP in the squat rack. I doffed my cap and bid him good day. You have to show respect kids.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    sdfrcf wrote: »
    I see more people using them for other exercises at my gym than I see them being used for squats (so disappointing). I say if no one is waiting for the rack then use it, if it's busy and people are waiting then do any exercise that doesn't require the rack elsewhere.

But you don't necessarily know who's waiting for the squat rack because they are probably off doing something else while waiting. You might think that guy doing lunges on the other end of the weight room just wanted to do some lunges but actually he's just keeping himself busy while you are improperly using the equipment he needs.
    If he don't know how to use his words he can just wait till I finish my curls.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I honestly don't get your point. The purpose of the OHP is to work my delts, triceps, core, and some other bits. The purpose of a clean is explosive strength involving the legs, core, and various other bits... but not really the delts or triceps.

I never argued that they were the same. My point was that the OP is lifting weights so they must therefore intend on becoming stronger or developing more muscle. Cleaning the weight will only aid in those efforts and will keep the squat rack clear for other people who want to use it for its intended purpose.

Your argument about the purpose of OHP being to "work my delts, triceps, core and some other bits" doesn't make a lot of sense unless you are only lifting to have something to do. Most people expect to elicit a physical adaptation from their training; not just "work" some muscles (stating that a lift is there to "work" a muscle is on par with stating that a lift is there to "tone"). The obvious adaptations being elicited from weighted exercises are increases in strength and muscle mass.

so increased strength is the only goal????????
  • neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    you could always do a front squat to OHP in one motion. You may need to lessen your normal front squat weight, but you get an excellent workout without all the stink eye from the haters.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

But only when applicable to real life situations. Who needs OHP PRs at the gym when there are heavy boxes to clean and press?

Just not in the squat rack.

• HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    the squat rack is for squats hence the name ... dont be that person who does arm curls and shoulder work out's in the squat rack. especially if there is only one ! use the smith for shoulders that is fine but leave the squat rack for squatters :)

lol who flagged this?!?!?!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    JenAndSome wrote: »

But only when applicable to real life situations. Who needs OHP PRs at the gym when there are heavy boxes to clean and press?

I guess I have been doing it wrong..

my job does not involve lifting boxes, should I stop OHP'ing????????
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options

So, based on that logic, you should do a Bear Complex before each set of OHP? Sorry, but specificity of the lift, conservation of energy, and injury prevention are all factors over adaptation of “functional lifts."
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    sdfrcf wrote: »
    I see more people using them for other exercises at my gym than I see them being used for squats (so disappointing). I say if no one is waiting for the rack then use it, if it's busy and people are waiting then do any exercise that doesn't require the rack elsewhere.

But you don't necessarily know who's waiting for the squat rack because they are probably off doing something else while waiting. You might think that guy doing lunges on the other end of the weight room just wanted to do some lunges but actually he's just keeping himself busy while you are improperly using the equipment he needs.
    If he don't know how to use his words he can just wait till I finish my curls.

I found this incredibly hilarious. But it's totally true.

If I go to the gym and the rack is occupied, I ask if they just started/is a line. Then I how what I can go about doing in the meantime.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    JenAndSome wrote: »

Why the hell would I need to lift anything heavy outside of the gym? Don't we pay people to do that for us?