Adkins diet

Options
Has anyone had long term success using the Adkins diet? I am a new type 1 diabetic and desperately need to lose weight. I am having a hard counting carbs and calories. I thought maybe an Adkins diet might help...

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    The Atkins diet is going to require that you count carbs. Luckily, with MFP counting calories, carbs, whatever you want is really simple!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    The Atkins diet is going to require that you count carbs. Luckily, with MFP counting calories, carbs, whatever you want is really simple!

+1
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    My mother has. In 2004 she went on Atkins and lost 50 pounds and she's kept it off since. It's kind of hard when we get together because she says I won't loose weight because I eat carbs when I'm loosing weight just fine doing CICO.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    My mother has. In 2004 she went on Atkins and lost 50 pounds and she's kept it off since. It's kind of hard when we get together because she says I won't loose weight because I eat carbs when I'm loosing weight just fine doing CICO.

Is she still doing it and has she kept those 50 pounds off.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Yes and yes. She only stays in phase 1 of Atkins though so she never eats more than 20 carbs a day.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options

Yes and yes. She only stays in phase 1 of Atkins though so she never eats more than 20 carbs a day.

Cool if it works for her. Personally, I want carbs and I'll stick with CICO.
  • MelWick524
    MelWick524 Posts: 215 Member
    Options

Oh my goodness, I would have NO energy on 20 carbs a day.
  • MelWick524
    MelWick524 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I've already had 49g of carbs today between my banana and yogurt. lol.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Options

Me too. I enjoy CICO because I can eat EVERYTHING (in moderation) but when I eat with her all she does is put me down about what I eat... Even though I'm loosing weight...
  • aishlynn
    aishlynn Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Type I? Have you spoken to your doctor about starting this diet? I'm type II, so I know very little about type 1's and what you can and can't have and what will mess with your blood glucose.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Options
    MelWick524 wrote: »

Oh my goodness, I would have NO energy on 20 carbs a day.

Me too! I feel like I have to have AT LEAST 100g of carbs a day to even function...
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    You may find some help here

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

I do agree that you should speak to your Dr before starting any kind of eating plan, but yes, Atkins may work for you depending on your situation.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Meet with a Registered Dietician (in the US, other countries will have other professional titles...but, go for a professional, any yayhoo can call themself a "nutritionist") who specializes in Type 1 diabetes. The people I know who are Type 1 don't restrict their food really at all, but then, they were diagnosed in childhood and wear insulin pumps.

Type II (also called insulin resistance or metabolic syndrome) is the one that responds to lower carb diets. The extremes of Atkins and other diets are usually not required, however.

Start now weighing and logging EVERYTHING you eat. Don't try to make any big changes until you meet with your doctor and an RD about what plans are the safest for you as you get used to your condition. Logging now will allow you to print out a report and review with the RD, so he or she can have a good understanding of your existing dietary habits and preferences to help you set up a sustainable weight loss plan.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

That sounds so sad to me. Kudos to her if she likes it, but I would become a raging lunatic if I ate under 20g of carbs a day.

• Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster... I am a type 2 and I control my BG eating about 20 carbs per day and no meds. Most of us on the low carber forum have medical issues.
  • rita4453
    rita4453 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have not talked to my doctor about the Adkins plan but he keeps insisting he wants me to only eat 1000 calories a day and eat more protein and less carbs. I am confused. 1000 calories is not what MFP says I should do. My primary care doctor says about 1500. I have such strong sugar cravings in the afternoon. I don't know which way to go.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Are you diabetic like the OP?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

That sounds so sad to me. Kudos to her if she likes it, but I would become a raging lunatic if I ate under 20g of carbs a day.
    Are you diabetic?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited April 2015
    Options
    OP: if you've spoken with your medical professionals and have decided to try Atkins (low carb) to help with your diabetes I recommend joining one of the low carb groups here. Lots of good approach on how to approach low carb dieting there.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • rita4453
    rita4453 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    What is "CICO"?