Adkins diet

Options

Replies

• minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I net 20ish carbs per day and have way more energy than I used to. It's not all about being tired and deprived when low carbing!
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    rita4453 wrote: »
    What is "CICO"?

Calories In Calories Out - A basic math formula that some people miscategorize as a diet plan. It means as long as you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight, and as long as you burn less calories than you consume, you will gain weight. It's true whether you're Atkins, keto, IIFYM, or on banana girls psycho diet.
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options

What is "CICO"?
    Calories In Calories Out
  • kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I might be a little ignorant but I thought the atkins diet worked well but it makes you really tired, headachey with bad breath. I thought people couldn't handle it for more than a few weeks?
  • mr21mr21
    mr21mr21 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    What is "CICO"?
    Calories In Calories Out

I also average about 20g carbs a day and have no issues with feeling tired or lack of energy. CICO left me feeling hungry most of the time but haven't had that issue yet with a low carb diet. The hard part was reducing the fruit in my diet...eat mostly berries now.

BTW, I'm 46 years old and have lost 20 pounds in 9 weeks - currently at 182 lbs and a 33" waist (6-feet tall). Check out "Fat Head" on YouTube for more info on a low carb diet.
  • galvitron1
    galvitron1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Atkins is a ketosis diet. They are typically highly effective in quick weight loss. However there are some gotchas. Firstly ketosis is very hard on the liver. My wife has liver disease. She tried a ketosis diet similar to Atkins and her liver enzymes went through the roof. After about 3-4 months and numerous medical tests, it was determined that ketosis is not right for her.

Additionally ketosis is not a long term solution. It's a highly effective quick fix. You dump the weight, but you don't stay on the plan long term. Additionally you dont just simply drop the plan either. If you want to be successful you need to transition to a longer term healthy nutrition plan.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    kjarvo wrote: »
    I might be a little ignorant but I thought the atkins diet worked well but it makes you really tired, headachey with bad breath. I thought people couldn't handle it for more than a few weeks?

That happens to people who do it incorrectly.
    galvitron1 wrote: »
    Atkins is a ketosis diet. They are typically highly effective in quick weight loss. However there are some gotchas. Firstly ketosis is very hard on the liver. My wife has liver disease. She tried a ketosis diet similar to Atkins and her liver enzymes went through the roof. After about 3-4 months and numerous medical tests, it was determined that ketosis is not right for her.

Additionally ketosis is not a long term solution. It's a highly effective quick fix. You dump the weight, but you don't stay on the plan long term. Additionally you dont just simply drop the plan either. If you want to be successful you need to transition to a longer term healthy nutrition plan.

Speaking as someone who's been on it 15 years, you really don't know what you're talking about.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    kjarvo wrote: »
    That sounds like the first couple of weeks. My long term low carb friends have reported feeling GREAT after a couple of weeks.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

YOUR WIFE HAS LIVER DISEASE. Enough said.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

ps: you don't simply drop ANY diet plan (including, wait for it, MFP).
  • KaraAlste
    KaraAlste Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Perhaps give it a try and see if its manageable for you. Some people love it & have lots of energy.
  • rita4453
    rita4453 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I could do such a low carb diet but I am going to try to cut out most carbs and try to keep my carbs about 20 - 30 at each meal and see what happens.
  • rita4453
    rita4453 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Does anyone has low carb snack ideas?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Check out the low carb group that's linked upthread.

I'd think nuts or cheese or meat (smoked salmon is a nice snack).
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Has anyone had long term success using the Adkins diet? I am a new type 1 diabetic and desperately need to lose weight. I am having a hard counting carbs and calories. I thought maybe an Adkins diet might help...

Hi! I'm also a type 1 diabetic.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend Atkins for another T1. Atkins is a ketosis diet induced by low-carb eating.

If you are like me and use an insulin pump (even on multiple daily injections, the risk of DKA is still there if you forget to take your long-acting insulin or the long-acting insulin somehow spoils), you probably already know about how much of a joy ketones can be. If the insulin pump or infusion set fails and no longer delivers insulin, we start producing a ton of ketones (ketosis). The very large buildup of ketones due to the absolute lack of insulin then places us at a very high risk of going into diabetic ketoacidosis.

The main thing I would be afraid of with ketosis diets is knowing whether I am producing ketones because of the diet or if I am producing ketones because of an insulin pump failure (with this type of ketosis putting us at high risk of going into DKA).
  • knt217
    knt217 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    aishlynn wrote: »
    Type I? Have you spoken to your doctor about starting this diet? I'm type II, so I know very little about type 1's and what you can and can't have and what will mess with your blood glucose.

This. Keto acidosis is nothing for diabetics to mess with, but it's been a while since I took physiology so I can't rememeber if it's a big deal for people with type 1 or type 2.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    knt217 wrote: »
    Type I? Have you spoken to your doctor about starting this diet? I'm type II, so I know very little about type 1's and what you can and can't have and what will mess with your blood glucose.

This. Keto acidosis is nothing for diabetics to mess with, but it's been a while since I took physiology so I can't rememeber if it's a big deal for people with type 1 or type 2.
    ketosis=/= keto acidosis
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    knt217 wrote: »

ketosis=/= keto acidosis

But for type 1's, it's very difficult -if not impossible- to figure out whether you're urinating moderate/large ketones due to not receiving any insulin (the ketosis plus hyperglycemia are the big things that puts us at risk for DKA) or are in a really strong diet-induced ketosis.

I noticed that I very easily can go from negative to moderate urine ketones within three hours of ceasing insulin delivery. Some people on ketosis diets who check their ketone levels can experience moderate urine ketones. If I am on a ketosis diet, how am I to figure out if my 300 BG and moderate ketones are due to not receiving any insulin (which then I would need to follow a strict protocol for bringing down my BG and ketone level and be prepared to get my butt to the ER if I begin to vomit or display other DKA symptoms) or a simple hyperglycemia episode that can be corrected with a correction dose of insulin through my pump and a bit of exercise?
  • tmkkg4
    tmkkg4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I did Adkins about 10 years ago and lost 100 lbs. I stayed in the phase 1 20 carbs a day the entire time. Unfortunately I wasn't thinking long term about eating less/making better choices and gained all the weight back as soon as I ate more carbs. I believe it does work, if you can modify your lifestyle to accommodate this style of eating.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm not sure I could do such a low carb diet but I am going to try to cut out most carbs and try to keep my carbs about 20 - 30 at each meal and see what happens.

It may be worth trying to get your carbs down to 80-120g to see if that works. If not, you can lower it a bit more and continue to eat fats. Most of the diabetics I know are keeping carbs low, but not keto low. Essentially, you need to figure out what level is beneficial for addressing your medical needs.