Your best protein powder recipes!

Options
2»

Replies

• beachlandia
    beachlandia Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Pretty basic shake recipe but this is what I've been doing for breakfast and I love it:

1.5 cups unsweetened almond milk
    1 small frozen banana (or 1/2 large banana)
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder
    1 tbsp cocoa powder
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    + a few ice cubes and a pinch of xantham gum

Comes out to about 270 calories for me but depending on the brands you are using it will be different

I'm thinking of replacing some of the almond milk with greek yogurt to make it even thicker
  • Labgirlwb
    Labgirlwb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Those muffins look sooooo good!
    I'm struggling to find a protein powder that I like, What are some of your favorites?
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    At the minute I'm adding mine to a morning smoothie.

Chocolate protein powder
    Small banana
    Udo oil blend
    100ish mls fat free milk
    Big handful spinach.

Tastes yummy and has everything I need.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    w_canary wrote: »
    I hate mixing my protein powder with water or milk and drinking it that's why I usually have it in the form of pancakes or mixed with Greek yogurt and cinnamon. My recipe for the pancakes can't get any simpler and easier(however it's delicious it's my favorite meal of the day
    Wow excuse my retardness I didn't see I cut out the most important part of my reply- the recipe!!! Anyway here's how I make the pancakes:
    - 1 scoop of your protein powder
    - 1 whole egg or only the egg white if you want less calories
    - 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
    mix it all with as much water as it needs, my advice though would be to add a little bit and see if the consistency is right

Roughly how many grams would a scoop be please?
    Also how many pancakes does that make?

It'll say how many grams per scoop on the package of protein powder, I've seen them anywhere from 28g to 35g per scoop, it really just depends on the brand you get
  • Phrick
    Options
    @Yoyo_Fitness - I looked up the recipe for those muffins on your IG - for cooking instructions it only says 5 minutes at 220 and then "the rest" at 190 - doesn't say how long to cook at 190 degrees. Please, can you fill me in? I want to try them!
  • erinelizabeth882
    erinelizabeth882 Posts: 102 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    What's IG mean? I'm interested in those muffins from @Yoyo_Fitness!
  • Phrick
    edited April 2015
    Options

@erinelizabeth882 -

It's Instagram ;) and I made the muffins today, I couldn't wait! I just experimented on the time.
    I made them with white chocolate chips and 1 cup of frozen raspberries for my fruit, and they're divine. I cooked them 5 minutes at 425* and then 15 min at 375* and they came out just a touch dark, I'd probably reduce it to 12-13 minutes at 375 next time (she's working in metric/Celsius, so 220 degrees = 425 F, and 190 = 375 F, in case you're not working in C. )

Here's her recipe, copied and pieced together from the comments on her Instagram photos:

1 cup wholemeal flour (whole wheat or oat flour, etc)
    1/4 cup almond flour
    4 egg whites, beaten until fluffy
    1/2 cup plain, non fat Greek yoghurt
    1 cup unsweetened applesauce
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 medium banana, peeled and mashed
    3 scoops of whey protein powder
    2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1.5 teaspoon baking powder
    0.5 teaspoon baking soda
    1 cup chopped fruit (like sour cherries, etc)
    1/4 cup buttermilk (you can use 1/4 c almond milk with 1 Tbsp of lime juice to make "buttermilk")
    100g chopped dark chocolate

Preheat oven to 425 (220) degrees. Prepare two 12-cavity muffin tins by either lining with silicone liners or coating each well with cooking spray; set aside.
    Place Greek yogurt, applesauce, vanilla, mashed banana and buttermilk in a blender and blend thoroughly.
    Combine wholemeal flour, almond flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and mix well.
    Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until incorporated.
    Add the chopped fruit and chocolate.
    Beat egg whites until fluffy, then gently stir into the muffin mixture.
    Portion out into the prepared muffin tins, filling each cavity about 3/4 full.
    Bake at 425 (220) degrees for 5 mins, then reduce heat to 375 (190) degrees and bake an additional 12-15 minutes, until done.

My notes:
    - I expected it to make 12 muffins, but it made 24
    - I used 1 cup of whole wheat flour
    - My 1 cup of fruit was 140g of frozen raspberries
    - 100g of Nestle Premier White Baking Chips
    - My protein powder added up to 87g for 3 scoops
    - 107g of mashed banana
    - For the buttermilk I used 8g powdered dry buttermilk, which I added to the dry ingredients, and 1/4c water, which I added to the blender mixture.
    - Oh yeah, and my eggs were absurdly big so 4 whites ended up being 154g

Nutrition: 2 muffins per serving, 158 calories, 11g protein, 22g carbs, 4g fat
  • Yoyo_Fitness
    Yoyo_Fitness Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    @Yoyo_Fitness - I looked up the recipe for those muffins on your IG - for cooking instructions it only says 5 minutes at 220 and then "the rest" at 190 - doesn't say how long to cook at 190 degrees. Please, can you fill me in? I want to try them!

Hi! oh my god, white chocolate and raspberries sound amazing!!!! I am making my next batch with German sour cherries!!!

Been doing a lot of research since I baked them, just found out that it is NOT good to bake recipes with whey protein at such high temperature! I got this idea from someone who is like a muffin god, she said that this is the secret to have them raise better so I tried... So I saw that the ideal temperature for whey protein goods is max. 170 degrees, may take longer, I really cannot say how long, because that really depends on your muffin molds. I have shallow and deep molds, and obviously the deep one needs to be done longer. I Just stick a skewer and check if it is cooked inside.

I like this recipe because it is so moist inside. Many of the whey protein recipes I tried ended up soooooo dry or rubbery!

Regarding sweetness, I don't really like it sweet so I didn't add any sugar... may be Stevia if someone likes it sweeter. Or instead of apple sauce, I thought you could add unsweetened mango sauce (from baby food!). I wanted to add a couple of TBS of prune essence but I cannot get them in Thailand :(

let's keep each posted :) I am very happy you tried them!!! xoxoxo
  • Yoyo_Fitness
    Options

I will be posting more recipes on my Instagram from now on ;) I have a few cookie recipes to try....
  • Yoyo_Fitness
    Options
    made another batch, this time adding another scoop of protein powder, and 1/4 cup of cacao powder. The latter doesn't really do much though. and this time completely gluten free!
  • Phrick
    Options
    made another batch, this time adding another scoop of protein powder, and 1/4 cup of cacao powder. The latter doesn't really do much though. and this time completely gluten free!

I'll bet if you used chocolate protein powder along with the cocoa you'd get more chocolate flavor. That would be awesome with sour cherries for your fruit!!
  • girlofsun26
    girlofsun26 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I love making different smoothies!
    My favorite right now is this.
    1-2 cups of kale or spinach
    1 banana
    1cup blackberries
    2 tablespoons natural peanut butter or pbfit (if I want a lower cals)
    1 scoop vanilla protein
    2 cups almond milk.

This makes two smoothies. I always have to make enough for the hubby or he gets sad. Lol
  • angelachrysann
    angelachrysann Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I hate mixing my protein powder with water or milk and drinking it that's why I usually have it in the form of pancakes or mixed with Greek yogurt and cinnamon. My recipe for the pancakes can't get any simpler and easier(however it's delicious it's my favorite meal of the day
    Wow excuse my retardness I didn't see I cut out the most important part of my reply- the recipe!!! Anyway here's how I make the pancakes:
    - 1 scoop of your protein powder
    - 1 whole egg or only the egg white if you want less calories
    - 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
    mix it all with as much water as it needs, my advice though would be to add a little bit and see if the consistency is right

How many does this make?
    Do they freeze/re-heat well? (Would like to make one day for the week)
  • Yoyo_Fitness
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    I'll bet if you used chocolate protein powder along with the cocoa you'd get more chocolate flavor. That would be awesome with sour cherries for your fruit!!

yes true!!! so lower temperature is definitely better but the muffins need to settle well when they just come out of the oven... I was shaking the silicon mold to remove them forcefully and some broke :(

• Tydeclare44
    Tydeclare44 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    not so much a recipe, but orange juice, 4 berry blend and chocolate protein powder in a smoothie. Tastes like a chocolate orange!
  • erinelizabeth882
    erinelizabeth882 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    What's all your take on baking with protein powder? I've heard that baking whey protein denatures the protein, which makes it somewhat useless as a protein snack if I'm understanding correctly?

What's the max temperature (F or C) that whey protein can be cooked to?
  • Yoyo_Fitness
    Options
    What's all your take on baking with protein powder? I've heard that baking whey protein denatures the protein, which makes it somewhat useless as a protein snack if I'm understanding correctly?

What's the max temperature (F or C) that whey protein can be cooked to?

but think about it, we all cook our meat and the protein is still intact right? read this in another forum now:

"proteins CANNOT be rendered inactive by heating. the amino acid chains cant be broken by heating either. in order to destroy the amino acid profiles you would have to hydrolyze the proteins which is something you're almost entirely incapable of doing in a typical kitchen. pineapple juice (bromelain) and papaya (papain) are hydrolyzing enzymes, but enzymes target specific amino acid residues, so the most these will do is tenderize your meats. the most that will happen is the protein unfolds into a linear chain to be broken down enzymatically by your body."

makes sense....

people say 170 degrees max. (340 degrees). I tried higher temperature with my previous muffin but it didn't make it rubbery. all depends on the moisture and fat you have in the dough I think :)