1,000 Calorie Challenge!

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I can certainly state EASILY, based on my results and a 2 year spreadsheet tracking my results, that 1000 calorie burns in about 60-70 minutes of exercise is entirely possible.

Can you give examples of these exercise sessions? I am interested to see what I could do in order to earn calorie burns like these.

body weight in pounds * miles run * .65

So.... 150 pounder running an hour at a half-marathon pace would do it.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    *out*
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I can certainly state EASILY, based on my results and a 2 year spreadsheet tracking my results, that 1000 calorie burns in about 60-70 minutes of exercise is entirely possible.

Can you give examples of these exercise sessions? I am interested to see what I could do in order to earn calorie burns like these.

body weight in pounds * miles run * .65

So.... 150 pounder running an hour at a half-marathon pace would do it.

In other words, 150 lbs running 10.2-ish miles in an hour for those who haven't done the math.

That pace is not quite twice my comfortable 10k pace. Since I'm a lightweight, I'd have to run quite a bit faster than that. Not happening once, let alone every day for a week.

Plus, it'd double my usual weekly mileage. Bad idea, even if I could get through it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Well I'm stuffed then!!!! As mfp gives me over 1000 calories burned for 25,000 steps which is roughly 10-11miles.
    Which going by all the posts here is highly innacurate. ..
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,063 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    For me to burn 1000 calories I would need to do either:
    • Walk for 5 hours. I burn approx. 200 calories per hour while walking.
    • Cycle for 2.5 hours. I burn approx. 400 calories per hour while cycling.

On Saturday, I cycled 82.67 km ... I would have burned over 1000 calories on that ride.
    On Sunday, I walked/hiked 11.7 km (up and down hills) ... I didn't come anywhere near to burning 1000 calories on that walk since it took a little under 3 hours.

I'm all for doing workouts that burn 1000+ calories (like my ride on Saturday), but as I work and go to uni, I just don't have the time to get out for 5+ hour walks or 2.5+ hour bicycle rides 7 days in a row. Maybe if I were doing a cycling tour ...

But if you've got the time ... go for it!! :)
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    No thank you. A 50mile, 3hr ride on my road bike doesn't burn more than about 700. I'll be damned if I'm gonna spend 4+ hours a day working out on a challenge. I have more important things to do. Like play with my dog or spend time in my gardens.

I think your burns are off. You do realize the Tour de France riders (who ride at a very easy pace 90% of the time) burn 5000 calories every day, and they ride 100-200 miles each day. How do you figure that you burn a mere 700 in 50 miles?

Heck, when I was mountain biking, I easily burned 1000+ calories in 2 hours.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    No thank you. A 50mile, 3hr ride on my road bike doesn't burn more than about 700. I'll be damned if I'm gonna spend 4+ hours a day working out on a challenge. I have more important things to do. Like play with my dog or spend time in my gardens.

I think your burns are off. You do realize the Tour de France riders (who ride at a very easy pace 90% of the time) burn 5000 calories every day, and they ride 100-200 miles each day. How do you figure that you burn a mere 700 in 50 miles?

yeah I questioned that too. But seeing I'm new to exercising I didn't want to say anything. Whadda I know :tongue:

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Cycling burns are hugely affected by speed - most of the energy TdF riders burn is for pushing air out of the way. TdF riders going 40kph+ burn a lot more per km than does a typical recreational rider going 20kph - as in three times more.

So doing the back math on a 200km, 4500 calorie TdF stage, you get 1500 calories for 200km -> 700 calories for 90km -> 700 calories for 50 miles, which would be right on the poster's numbers, assuming they were going ~20kph.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I wish I could burn 1000 calories a day, I primarily strength train and for an hour I get less than 200 calories. I'd have to work out for 5 hours a day. Good luck to those doing the challenge though
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options

You are right. I inadvertently restarted my HRM at the 1/2 point, so it was about 1400-1600 calorie burn.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Well I'm stuffed then!!!! As mfp gives me over 1000 calories burned for 25,000 steps which is roughly 10-11miles.

My iOS caloric adjustment for just over 10,000 steps is 162 calories, and that’s for around 5 miles. It’s weird that it would be that inconsistent from person to person.

Today I walked 7,180 steps or 2.8 miles and got 108 calories.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I do at least 1200 a day in the pool :)
    Though not for the next 4 weeks. Stuck in China on business. No pool access so a lot of walking. Endomondo and MFP don't agree on kcals for walking.
  • Christine_72
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »

My iOS caloric adjustment for just over 10,000 steps is 162 calories, and that’s for around 5 miles. It’s weird that it would be that inconsistent from person to person.

That's a huge difference between us! Can I ask your height and weight?
    I'm 5"8 and 140lbs. But I doubt it would make such a big difference. ..

• snowy0wl
    snowy0wl Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    All numbers need to be relative and must have a specific target in mind. Short term anything does nothing (including diets) It's true that 7000 calories (assumable as a caloric deficit) is too much but some can manage this short term but for most I wouldn't advise it. To lose weight you need a caloric deficit and enough physical activity to tell your body not to use muscles and glycogen there for energy. It's also understood that the slower your weight loss the better your body can permanently keep it off. I'd rather have something solid long term then all these quick methods. You have to sustain whatever you are doing. there is no quick magic pill.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »

That's a huge difference between us! Can I ask your height and weight?
    I'm 5"8 and 140lbs. But I doubt it would make such a big difference. ..

Of course, happy to share. You’re quite a bit taller, so maybe that’s why. I’m only 5’4” and 133lbs. Goes to show, accuracy is not that great. Either way, at least we know that more walking is better, so you can’t go wrong.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    uvi5 wrote: »
    If I knew what I was actually burning I'd join for sure. I'm getting tracking device w/ HRM next month. I'm still not sure which one to get. I was set on a FitBit Charge HR, but am getting mixed feedback about it. Yesterday I worked out 110 minutes throughout the day (not counting other activity). I have not missed one day in 19 days of workouts and getting addicted to it! MFP Shows me burning over 1000 yesterday, but don't trust the calculated burns. I feel like I burned that, but ya know :blush:

Polar f7 I think it is chest hrm are the most accurate. Wrust ones are not. There is a seperate fitness band called the polar loop that can link with the hrm of the vchest and it is the only hrm chest to link w a band on market.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Samstan101 wrote: »
    @Mr_Knight Actually, I can burn 1000 calories easy in one workout. It only takes about an hour of running and walking intervals. I'll be posting here every day to check in. I also log my calorie burns with an HRM.

As above you're massively overestimating your burn. I've just checked back through my records and when I was 270lbs I was only burning around 750 cals an hr for running (and whilst it was slow running, it was running for an hour, no walking).

I'm 163lbs now and did a 33mile ultra yesterday with nearly 4000ft of total climbs in 8hrs and only burned about 4000 cals (so averaging 500 an hour).

Amazing how that works.
  • WendyEvans1
    Options
    TOTALLY IN!
    today 3 hour work-out 1700 cal,,catching up for 3 days off
    try to do 5-6 days a week..min 800-1500..60-90min
    LUV to try your 1000k for 7 days..
    good luck
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    yeah I questioned that too. But seeing I'm new to exercising I didn't want to say anything. Whadda I know :tongue:

With Walking/Running, it's less variable in that you, me, a 400lb guy, whoever - are carrying their body mass from point A to B fighting gravity the whole way, and will expend energy. Sure faster guy burns more but it's a percentage not double/triple. The "body weight in pounds * miles run * .65" or "1 cal per kg per km" is pretty close. Less if you're loafing, more if you're really racing.

But on a bike, your mass is being supported by the bike. Body weight doesn't matter unless you're climbing hills. You can bike for an hour, leisurely loafing around a flat course, and burn almost the same as if you were sitting on the couch. It's not fair, but it is what it is. Swimming is the same - you loaf along with no effort at all and the calorie burn is tiny because the water is doing most of the work.

Cycling on Saturday, 191 minutes in 60mph winds, at 19mph avg speed was just 1700 cals.
    Thursday for 180 minutes, no wind but a bit more effort was 1835.

And running easy today for 2 hrs/23km was 1250 cals.

One of the reasons "you can't outrun a crappy diet" is so true.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Just so that the vast majority of posters know - it's not merely the mass being moved nor the time being taken that can result in a high calorie burn.

The level of fitness and ability to push yourself can also accomplish that easily.

Per a VO2max test for myself, running just a tad higher than Aerobic HR zone (based on that test, which is also 82% of tested HRmax, so not a massive effort being done, below race pace), I'll burn a tad over 1000 per hour. And can easily do that for 2 hrs straight, last half-marathon was higher HR for shorter time burning more per hour actually. Now recovery from running that hard is a few days.

Day after day for 1 hr, no thanks - only if I want an injury at the end of the week to knock me out for many weeks.

And on a nice day not getting dehydrated and well fueled, a 3 hr bike ride with an average HR at that level is very possible too.

So big burns are possible. I've easily reached 7000 weekly during summer training with a long ride and run, and short ride and run, in a week.

But ditto the comments that a cheaper HRM like Polar FT4 or FT7 is going to make some bad assumptions and inflate calorie burn.
    Shoot, even a nicer Polar HRM could be inflating by 30%!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/459580-polar-hrm-calorie-burn-estimate-accuracy-study

Also ditto to comments that if an already big deficit requires another extra 1000 deficit created by just exercise (no comment about eating back exercise calories) - then something is very jacked up with the body or the logging or both.