1,000 Calorie Challenge!

Options

Replies

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    I'm NOT in! it takes me around 3 hrs of running to burn that, did it a few weeks ago for 5 days and ended up needing to fuel my extra workouts with much more food and gained!...so no, I'll stick to my usual 500 cal/day burn. Wishing you all the best though :smile:

Can you elaborate on why it takes you 3 hours of running to burn that? I weigh 150 and MFP says I would burn that in about 110 minutes. Are you using an HRM?
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Just for sake of comparison, leading European football (soccer) clubs calculate that their players can burn up to 1500 calories in a hard hitting 90 minute match. Be honest with yourselves, if you truly think the exercise you do is even two thirds of the intensity and physical exertion top athletes perform, then fair enough. If you're wrong, it's only you who'll pay the price for that.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    @Mr_Knight Actually, I can burn 1000 calories easy in one workout. It only takes about an hour of running and walking intervals. I'll be posting here every day to check in. I also log my calorie burns with an HRM.

Nope, not possible. Your calorie burn is HUGELY overestimated! It is dang near impossible for the average person to burn 1000 through exercise in one day.

Utter rubbish. Not impossible at all if you work reasonably hard then 2-3 hours cardio will get you there.
    If you spread it through the day such as cycling to work and back, then that would leave you a lot less to do at the gym.
    Just for sake of comparison, leading European football (soccer) clubs calculate that their players can burn up to 1500 calories in a hard hitting 90 minute match. Be honest with yourselves, if you truly think the exercise you do is even two thirds of the intensity and physical exertion top athletes perform, then fair enough. If you're wrong, it's only you who'll pay the price for that.

Care to link your source? Ive just seen one which says higher plus they arent running continuously.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @Mr_Knight Actually, I can burn 1000 calories easy in one workout. It only takes about an hour of running and walking intervals. I'll be posting here every day to check in. I also log my calorie burns with an HRM.

Nope, not possible. Your calorie burn is HUGELY overestimated! It is dang near impossible for the average person to burn 1000 through exercise in one day.

As many have said its not 'dang near impossible' its a 90 min run give or take 15 mins depending on your size. However, unless morbidly obese it's highly unlikely that you can burn it in an hour of jogging/ walking as the OP seems to suggest.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Disappointed. I thought thread was about a 1K snack.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Ya know - It would be really great to see people allowing others to figure out if their exercise burn calculations are correct on their own time and personal experience/results rather than the constant hijacking of threads that debate/criticize if someone on MFP is calculating their burns correctly. Especially when a member clearly is not asking for help with calculating burns in her OP. I can certainly state EASILY, based on my results and a 2 year spreadsheet tracking my results, that 1000 calorie burns in about 60-70 minutes of exercise is entirely possible.

Rather than condescend to the OP as to why you wouldn't participate in her challenge that clearly seems to motivate her, move along!

smh. People.
    Well said :)
  • ChiliBeans
    ChiliBeans Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I sure will try. If I can get a class or two in after work plus my daily walks to and from work. I think it will be really hard but I like challenges so I will try ^_^
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Everybody is talking about whether that is possible and all I'm thinking about is how working out to meet a calorie number for 7 days straight sounds like a recipe for injury. I think a rest day needs to be in there and I hope that this has been ramped up to, and not "Yeah, 1000 is a nice even number!"
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I'm NOT in! it takes me around 3 hrs of running to burn that, did it a few weeks ago for 5 days and ended up needing to fuel my extra workouts with much more food and gained!...so no, I'll stick to my usual 500 cal/day burn. Wishing you all the best though :smile:

Can you elaborate on why it takes you 3 hours of running to burn that? I weigh 150 and MFP says I would burn that in about 110 minutes. Are you using an HRM?

I go by my Fitbit, I'm only 5ft 2 / 45yrs / 134 lbs ...that's what my tracker gives me :neutral:
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Some time ago I was in a challenge where I burned 1,000 calories a day for 7 days and it really helped to boost my weight loss. I'm starting the same challenge again tomorrow, if anyone would like to join me.:) All you have to do is burn 1,000 calories a day for 7 days and I will be posting in this forum every day to see how everyone is doing. I can't wait to start this challenge, and if you would like to join me just comment with, "I'm in!" Thanks everyone! Hope to see you there!

Cool. I'm ALL in.

Saturday, April 11 - 1845 calories (2:02:48 on the singlespeed hot laps stateside)
    Sunday, April 12 - BUST (dang Air France flight was delayed in Detroit making me 3 1/2 hours late to Paris. By the time I caught another flight and got back to Germany, it was too dark to ride. Plenty of calories burned in frustration, but no way Sunday qualified - so reset for Monday.)
    Monday, April 13 - 1289 calories (2:17:22 easy Zone 1/2 road bike ride)

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Ya know - It would be really great to see people allowing others to figure out if their exercise burn calculations are correct on their own time and personal experience/results rather than the constant hijacking of threads that debate/criticize if someone on MFP is calculating their burns correctly. Especially when a member clearly is not asking for help with calculating burns in her OP. I can certainly state EASILY, based on my results and a 2 year spreadsheet tracking my results, that 1000 calorie burns in about 60-70 minutes of exercise is entirely possible.

Rather than condescend to the OP as to why you wouldn't participate in her challenge that clearly seems to motivate her, move along!

smh. People.

Why give out incorrect information??

I walk 90 minutes a day and only burn 400 calories walking a round 4 mph.

I also weight lift and mfp give me around 200 burned calories.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The ease at which someone burns 1000 calories is directly proportional to the amount of time in which they are attempting to do so.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Wow, that would be very hard to do. I'm not in!

Same. I probably just about burn 1000 extra cals in exercise throughout the week!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    The ease at which someone burns 1000 calories is directly proportional to the amount of time in which they are attempting to do so.

c640x360_32.jpg
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options

True - I will also add if you are *trying* to burn 1000 calories you are probably not going to actually succeed because you are probably not in shape to pull it off.

Maybe that is snobby of me... but whatever I stopped caring what people think of me long ago :)
  • DaveinSK
    DaveinSK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Fairly new here, so forgive the rookie question, but what is the primary determinant of calorie burn in exercise? Is it the type of exercise, or the intensity of that exercise?

Case in point, I'm into my second month of P90X, and the plyometrics workout is particularly challenging for me. Even though it's 30s of work with 30s breaks (with longer breaks between sets) and not constant like running, I find my heartrate hovers around 160BPM and I'm struggling for breath more than I am if I'm running at a pace that I can maintain an hour. The MFP calculator gives me a lower number (684) for running at a 5.2MPH pace for an hour than p90xcalories.com gives me for 60 minutes of high intensity Plyo (819) which out seem to bear that out how I feel, but since no inputs or calculation is shown I have no idea how they derive that number.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

It is dang near impossible for the average person to burn 1000 through exercise in one day.

That's a bit of stretch. I wouldn't say it's "dang near impossible". Just not as easy as some people like to believe.

Yep. Even for the shorter, lighter folk like me, something around a half-marathon distance run will do it. If you're heavier, you don't need as much distance, but it's not all that much less.

It's just that there are very few people pulling that off in an hour. In a day, sure. There's a decent number of people on this site who run halfs and above. But seven days a week? You're in rarefied air again with that crowd.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    DaveinSK wrote: »
    Fairly new here, so forgive the rookie question, but what is the primary determinant of calorie burn in exercise? Is it the type of exercise, or the intensity of that exercise?

Case in point, I'm into my second month of P90X, and the plyometrics workout is particularly challenging for me. Even though it's 30s of work with 30s breaks (with longer breaks between sets) and not constant like running, I find my heartrate hovers around 160BPM and I'm struggling for breath more than I am if I'm running at a pace that I can maintain an hour. The MFP calculator gives me a lower number (684) for running at a 5.2MPH pace for an hour than p90xcalories.com gives me for 60 minutes of high intensity Plyo (819) which out seem to bear that out how I feel, but since no inputs or calculation is shown I have no idea how they derive that number.

So the thing you have to understand about the way a heart rate monitor calculates calories is that there is a loose correlation between the amount/intensity of work you are doing and your heart rate.

For example, when you are running, you have a specific HR and your HRM is using an algorithm to calculate an approximate burn. If you run a little bit faster, your heart rate goes up a little and the HRM says you burned a few more calories. Run slower, your heart rate will be a little lower, thus fewer calories burned.

There are ways to "fake" this out. One way is to take a big dose of caffeine prior to your workout. Your HR will be artificially higher than it normally will be at whatever pace you are running.

Another way to fake it out is to do sprints with relatively short recoveries (Tabata). Your heart rate will climb high on the sprint effort, and while you are actually sprinting you will burn calories in a way the HRM can calculate. However when the sprint is over your heart rate isn't going to come down as fast as your speed. So you might only be running at a 12:00/mi pace in between sprint efforts, but your HR will stay high, thus your HRM will think you are still "working hard" and will calculate a higher number of calories.

Your heart rate is a PROXY for actual calories burned, not a direct correlation.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    nods
    - burning 1000 calories in 24 hours- easy_
    - burning 1000 calories in 24 minutes- Ha ha ha ha- good luck.

But what you say is true- True - I will also add if you are *trying* to burn 1000 calories you are probably not going to actually succeed because you are probably not in shape to pull it off.

Maybe that is snobby of me... but whatever I stopped caring what people think of me long ago :)

It's not snobbery- but an observation of people/trends/goals.

Someone TRYING to make that kind of burn is probably trying to fix something- or undo something- and probably doesn't understand how this works- and hasn't been training for many moons.

Less about snobbery and more about the realization that a trained athlete or someone who DOES regularly burn that kind of energy- would never be going out of their way to do so- it's merely a by product of something they love.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »

It is dang near impossible for the average person to burn 1000 through exercise in one day.

That's a bit of stretch. I wouldn't say it's "dang near impossible". Just not as easy as some people like to believe.

Yep. Even for the shorter, lighter folk like me, something around a half-marathon distance run will do it. If you're heavier, you don't need as much distance, but it's not all that much less.

It's just that there are very few people pulling that off in an hour. In a day, sure. There's a decent number of people on this site who run halfs and above. But seven days a week? You're in rarefied air again with that crowd.

I'm no stranger to pushing myself to the limits of my physical and mental ability when it comes to exercise. I used to ride a single speed mountain bike in one of the hilliest areas in Central Ontario. When riding a single speed, you literally have to sprint up every hill, or you're going to stall and have to walk the rest of the way.

I would ride for 2-4 hours each time I went out and not once I was able to burn 1000 calories in an hour.

If I couldn't burn that many calories, turning myself inside out while on my rides, pushing my HR to 90+% of my max regularly, I can't believe that anyone else can.