I have a problem with peanut butter...I'm not too proud to ask for help.

Options

Replies

• nlutece
    nlutece Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Came back to all these! You guys are great. I weigh and measure everything else I eat, and I've basically been entirely abstaining from peanut butter because I know I can't handle it.

I will definitely check out PB2. It looks really interesting.

So those individual skippy packets--do you think those are 1 or 2 tablespoons?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    nlutece wrote: »
    Came back to all these! You guys are great. I weigh and measure everything else I eat, and I've basically been entirely abstaining from peanut butter because I know I can't handle it.

I think they're two. 190 calories right?
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I weigh and measure everything else I eat, and I've basically been entirely abstaining from peanut butter because I know I can't handle it.

You might surprise yourself with what you can handle when you set your mind to it.

I'm sitting here eating 2 squares of a very delicious chocolate bar. I'm going to stop at 2 squares. Six months ago, I would've told you that was impossible.
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I find I have less of a problem if I choose a natural peanut butter that does not contain sugar. I weigh it by the gram on a food scale.
  • arditarose
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    I weigh and measure everything else I eat, and I've basically been entirely abstaining from peanut butter because I know I can't handle it.

You might surprise yourself with what you can handle when you set your mind to it.

I'm sitting here eating 2 squares of a very delicious chocolate bar. I'm going to stop at 2 squares. Six months ago, I would've told you that was impossible.

I hear you, but...peanut butter. Something about it. I can eat two squares of chocolate and put the rest away. Peanut butter is like crack though.

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

WEIGH THEM.
  • arditarose
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

WEIGH THEM.

Dah! Don't yell at me. I weigh my peanut butter.
  • mccindy72
    Options

WEIGH THEM.

Not you, darlin'. The tablespoon crowd.....
  • arditarose
    Options

WEIGH THEM.

Oh lol.

Yeah, weigh them! (Though I am guilty of not weighing all pre-packaged stuff. You should try though, you'll be surprised what you find).
  • mccindy72
    Options

WEIGH THEM.

Oh lol.

Yeah, weigh them! (Though I am guilty of not weighing all pre-packaged stuff. You should try though, you'll be surprised what you find).

Right?
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I adore peanut butter, and avoid it like the plague.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Just don't buy it. Some things are triggers for binges, peanut butter is one for me.

A serving is two tablespoons....TWO!?!

COME ON, you can't tell me you will open a fresh jar of Skippy, smell that nutty, oily, deliciousness, and measure two tablespoons...

I don't measure two tablespoons, I weigh out 32 grams on my food scale. Every. Damn. Time.

I enjoy a blop of PB.
  • jonniemomof9ak
    jonniemomof9ak Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am no help, I absolutely love peanut butter too. Not quite a whole jar though.
  • nlutece
    nlutece Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Great news! Just weighed the individual firm plastic packs (not the pouch kind) and they are 24g. BUT this is including the plastic so I'm actually guessing it's only 16g of pb--half a serving, or one tablespoon, which is 95 calories.

I'll eat one and then weigh the empty plastic later to confirm. God, I love science.
  • snowy0wl
    snowy0wl Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    if we aren't talking about an habitual problem rather than a real desire for the taste you can go for this product. PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter Removes most of the fat (and calories) and you can season everything without worrying as much abou calories.. Peanut butter is a poor source of protein per calories. If you love it so much is it only the smell? I'm sure there are stuff out that simulates it and won't cost a calorie to you.
  • cynthiamm67
    cynthiamm67 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    A serving of pb to me is like half a cup. I had to stop buying it. (Sob!)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    So I have a full blown addiction to peanut butter. Actually any nut butters, really. But if I don't measure it out, I can eat a whole jar at one time. So how much is a single serving of peanut butter? I know it says two tablespoons on the jar, but are they rounded tablespoons? Leveled out?

Weigh in in grams.

I make my own peanut butter, by the way.
  • justsayinisall
    justsayinisall Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Me too SLL. Pop peanuts in the food processor and let'er rip. That's it, not added sugar or oil.

You can change the taste by using dry roasted peanuts or virginia peanuts. You can also control the salt. Salted peanuts, lightly salted, no salt. You control everything.

I've been doing it years. I was visiting my sister and she was making PB&J for her kids, I popped my finger in the jar of PB and OMG, I couldn't eat it. It didn't even taste like PB. All I tasted was sweet sticky...something.

But I remember when I started making my own, I didn't like it. It tasted off. Funny how our mouths get used to things added to our food. We find "natural" tastes strange *shakes head*
  • s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If you are relatively "honest" about the rest of your diet/macros & stay active, you can chow down on PB without much worry. Sure, its calorie dense but it has a lot of good stuff in it too. Screw "avoiding" things you really like. Make room for them in your daily goals. Two tablespoons for a serving? Not enough, IMO :wink:

I suggest the "natural" kind versus the processed stuff. I mean the natural kind as in it still has some sugar, salt and oils but does NOT have hydrogenated oils and that stuff.

Life is too short to skip out on fun and fitness shouldnt be such a drag and a chore.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter.
    The number one recommended food by every dietitian I've met with.
    For my two underweight boys. Ha!

Its one of the few foods I've really really cut back on for myself. I rarely eat it now because calorie for calorie, I don't find the 190 calorie serving to be very satisfying. When I do have it though, I find that putting it on toast or something warm seems to help- it spreads thinner and the taste somehow seems richer so a serving size feels as though it goes further.