How much money do you eat a day?

Options

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    I eat roughly ZERO dollars a day for most of the year.

No, seriously, Mother Nature is mostly what I need

Gardening is great. But even that costs money. You have to plant from seeds, pay for fertilizer or plant food, water, and heck, you need access to the land to grow stuff on in the first place, so property ownership or community garden fees or whatnot.

No such thing as a free lunch.

Yer doin' it wrong.

I pay zero for seeds. Zero for fertilizer. Zero for water. The land I had long before gardening. Already a sunk cost.

Time would be the only valid argument, but I guarantee you I spend less time gardening than you do shopping in your grocery store.

How do you water your garden? We have a well, but we had to buy the pump and hose, bucket and rope. Even the baskets I bought to carry the produce from the garden to the house cost money. As did the shelves for the root cellar. And, yeah, we had the land before the garden, but that doesn't make the land free. Even if we'd inherited it, there are taxes. Or the roto-tiller free or make it run on air instead of gas. The hoe, shovel and rake cost money, as did the wheel barrow, etc. The material for cold frames cost money.

Zero $ garden? It would definitely not be the norm.

It looks like he is using a lot of repurposed containers, starting from cuttings and doing seed saving, so I can see how there would be minimal cost, especially after several years.

The water thing though...all I can think of is rain catchment, and that's going to involve some upfront costs, even if you are able to find cheap materials.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    I eat roughly ZERO dollars a day for most of the year.

No, seriously, Mother Nature is mostly what I need

Gardening is great. But even that costs money. You have to plant from seeds, pay for fertilizer or plant food, water, and heck, you need access to the land to grow stuff on in the first place, so property ownership or community garden fees or whatnot.

No such thing as a free lunch.

Yer doin' it wrong.

I pay zero for seeds. Zero for fertilizer. Zero for water. The land I had long before gardening. Already a sunk cost.

Time would be the only valid argument, but I guarantee you I spend less time gardening than you do shopping in your grocery store.

How do you water your garden? We have a well, but we had to buy the pump and hose, bucket and rope. Even the baskets I bought to carry the produce from the garden to the house cost money. As did the shelves for the root cellar. And, yeah, we had the land before the garden, but that doesn't make the land free. Even if we'd inherited it, there are taxes. Or the roto-tiller free or make it run on air instead of gas. The hoe, shovel and rake cost money, as did the wheel barrow, etc. The material for cold frames cost money.

Zero $ garden? It would definitely not be the norm.

It looks like he is using a lot of repurposed containers, starting from cuttings and doing seed saving, so I can see how there would be minimal cost, especially after several years.

The water thing though...all I can think of is rain catchment, and that's going to involve some upfront costs, even if you are able to find cheap materials.

Container gardening is often more expensive than in ground gardening. For one thing, the soil is more easily depleted so fertilizer becomes more important. This can be gotten around with home composting, but that usually involves money as well. I'm all for growing your own food. Every year I try to lessen what we have to purchase, but even living out in in the boonies where everyone has a garden, I don't know a single person that spends no money on their garden.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I would guess I spend about 200 per week on myself. I dine out 4-5 days a week though for dinner.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    I spend about 5 dollars a day on food...i don't eat out. I make all my meals at home and take them to work w me.
  • alicaramik2
    alicaramik2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    We spend $120 per week. Family of three, 2 adults and a 16 year old boy. That includes non-food items like soap, paper products, cold meds., etc. We have one night a week to eat out, usually fast food or someplace like Ihop.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    $50-60 a week.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    We spend about $200 every two weeks for a family of four. However I do not ever have to buy beef... So that does save us quite a bit of money.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I spend about 45.00 (US) a week.
  • deevah62
    deevah62 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I spend $80 - $85 per week but more than 1/2 of that is eating out - usually twice a week. And it's just me!
  • PermitReply
    PermitReply Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    We usually spend between $150-$200 for two weeks of groceries to feed 3 adults. That includes things like soap, foil, sandwich bags, etc. We do have a habit of getting fast food once a week, usually when we're all working until 11pm or midnight and don't feel like having to cook when we get home. So that adds about $30 more every two weeks.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    In just weekly food for just myself, I spend about $75 per week.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been spending more, since I've been getting salads at the work cafe. So @15/day on work days, more on the weekends since I tend to go out. And I pretty much eat yogurt, granola, popcorn and fruit at home so maybe $65-75/week total.
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Wow, I didn't expect so many responses, thank you all! Glad to see I seem to be somewhat average, though I'm going to try to cut down some still.
  • itschanelle
    itschanelle Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    knt217 wrote: »
    Where are you from that groceries cost $300 a week for two people? That seems extraordinarily high to me.

I probably spend about $150 every 2 weeks for our family of 4. I think I spend even less now that I'm tracking on MFP bc I don't make meals that require as many ingredients.

We eat a lot and buy pretty much all organic...we could eat for a lot less but would eat less fresh produce and less organic and choose different cuts and types of meat.

I'm still shocked at that. My family of 4 spends $120 a week and I buy all organic everything. We eat clean for the most part (birthdays, etc not withstanding). I do, however, meal plan according to the ads posted at our market and we use up everything. Do you have a lot of waste?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

knt217 wrote: »
    Where are you from that groceries cost $300 a week for two people? That seems extraordinarily high to me.

I probably spend about $150 every 2 weeks for our family of 4. I think I spend even less now that I'm tracking on MFP bc I don't make meals that require as many ingredients.

We eat a lot and buy pretty much all organic...we could eat for a lot less but would eat less fresh produce and less organic and choose different cuts and types of meat.

I'm still shocked at that. My family of 4 spends $120 a week and I buy all organic everything. We eat clean for the most part (birthdays, etc not withstanding). I do, however, meal plan according to the ads posted at our market and we use up everything. Do you have a lot of waste?

We stick to a meal plan during the week, which is pretty much the same daily to make prep easier. We are more flexible on weekends. We have very little food waste....

We're in Australia - it was a lot cheaper and easier to buy organic produce in the US when we holidayed there recently. We made a lot of our own meals, and went to a range of supermarkets and loved how accessible things were.
  • cosmo_momo
    cosmo_momo Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Love me some Aldi!! Around $20-$30 if I don't buy meat or a lot of animal products. More if I do. (also a student here)
  • s2Mango
    s2Mango Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    $50-$60 a week for 2 adults. This doesn't include toiletries, paper towels, dishes that the cat might of broken...etc.
  • vgnfarmer
    vgnfarmer Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    For two people about $100-$125/week not including eating out about two dinner meals(one pizza, one fancy). We eat all breakfasts, lunches from home and mostly all organic produce. I shop at Trader Joe's a lot and their prices for organic are pretty reasonable. I have been trying to lower our grocery bill(I feel its too high) but don't want to bend on buying organic and the greek yogurt (Fage) I like! oh well
  • vchan000
    vchan000 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    2 30-40ish adults, no kids. I work a desk, he's in a trade. $450-600 a month for groceries over the last year, and another $100 in takeout/restaurant meals. Works out to $125-$150 (Cdn) a week for the two of us. Doesn't include hubby's lunch as he usually eats on site.
  • sandra211061
    sandra211061 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i spend £180ish a week for 3 of us but that's everything .. 3 x breakfasts, 3 x lunches, 3 dinners, snacks, drinks etc