Can someone cut through the bull and tell me the truth!

Replies

• Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    edited April 2015
    j6o4 wrote: »
    There's a function on google called google scholar, it will lead you to scientific peer review studies and eliminate the bs.

I would argue that scientific, peer reviewed studies are part of what perpetuates the BS in the fitness industry. A lot of what is found works well on paper but in practice it is a totally different story. Not to mention, the two biggest contributors of sports medicine and exercise physiology studies that are considered "reputable", the NSCA and ACSM, have both put out volumes of absolutely shameful material.

For the layman, doing what has provided great results to numerous other people is their best bet. This is true for most athletes as well.

I agree that scientific understanding is useful but it can be confusing to people who don't already have a solid foundation of knowledge in anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, kinesiology, biomechanics and sports training knowledge. Seeing as how a very small number of people have any appreciable knowledge in those areas aside from all the BS they read in studies that they don't necessarily understand and articles they find on the internet, it is safe to say that most people would benefit from keeping it simple and just following the basic guidelines people have set forth in this thread.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited April 2015
    eat a little less and move a little more...do a little cardio, do a little resistance training, eat food in appropriate quantities as it relates to your weight control goals and rock your nutrition...it's that easy...there's no magic, it's just math.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    i think stressing about the weightloss is what helps to contribute not losing the weight in the first place.
    so don't overcomplicate it.
    eat at a calorie deficit
    move more when you can, however you can, when you want.
    done.

good luck!
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    So two big things. well 3.

1.) Calories- you must be at a calorie deficit to lose weight. Period. No working out required.
    2.) Lifting weights will help retain muscle mass so you don't just look like a smaller version of what you are now.
    3.) A well rounded fitness program for your health and wellness should/will include a cardiovascular component and a strength/resistance training program.

Those are the 3 big things.

You can start with the calories- that's easy. Log daily- buy a food scale- use MFP- or google TDEE and use that- either one is fine.

As for cardio- either for running- try couch to 5K- great beginner program- if you want to run. walking is fine- row machine- bike- whatever- not relevant unless you have a specific goal in mind.

For lifting
    Strong lifts
    New rules of lifting
    starting strength
    strong curves

or you can do body weight-
    body by you
    you are your own gym
    convict conditioning

all great places to get started!

I know *exactly* how you feel!! It took me over 2 yrs to filter through all the b**l s**t, didn't know what questions to ask and so on, but damn! wish I got this information when I was starting! Here's 2 other great posts to read, different words same information...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    At your weight you should not run. ...The easiest way to do cardio when you are just starting out with your exercise regimen is to buy a video like 21 day fix or 30 day shred.

Anyone who is too heavy to avoid hurting themselves on a C25K running program is going to completely blow up on a 30DS.

This is awful advice.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited April 2015
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    At your weight you should not run. ...The easiest way to do cardio when you are just starting out with your exercise regimen is to buy a video like 21 day fix or 30 day shred.

Anyone who is too heavy to avoid hurting themselves on a C25K running program is going to completely blow up on a 30DS.

This is awful advice.

Having done both - 30DS has a low-impact option, though, and the total exposure to impact even with the higher impact options is minimal compared to running.

My 2 cents just on the HIIT - it is good BUT it's a trick to fit it in around strength and other cardio (especially when you're starting out), because almost everything relies on legs, and recovery is important (that's when your muscles are knitting themselves back together).

Also - it's important to establish a good base, just to get all your connective tissues used to the movements. Especially at your/my age.

So I would say, for maybe the first month or so, skip HIIT and do a mix of regular moderate cardio and strength training (and yoga or something like that for flexibility, assuming you have nothing stopping you from those kind of movements).
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    laddyboy wrote: »

This one...
    I will add 1 or 2 things just to stick in your mind.
    1. doing long cardio sessions only will burn your muscle for energy. That's why lifting is important. Your muscle is your metabolism. The more muscle you build...the better your metabolism.
    2. Muscle burns fat. You body doesn't want to build muscle because it's hard for it to maintain it. In turn...your body has to constantly tap into the fat stores to maintain the muscle. I like the sound of that. AND...you won't get big and bulky.

The 'professor' in all of us wants to know if you can clean up or back up that Bro Science for us....?

Doing long cardio sessions only will burn your muscle for energy?

Really? Could you cite your sources for that please?

Muscle burns fat.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    At your weight you should not run.

I am at 185 and routinely run. Under supervision. I do all my stretches. I wear the best shoes I can afford. I dared not run at 275. I began running when walking got too easy.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I'm now curious- what's the weight limit to stop running?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2015
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

This is awful advice.

This is a low impact circuit workout.....much easier on the joints. Chris Freytag is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm0C8awjNIQ

• lablover07
    lablover07 Posts: 11 Member
    So two big things. well 3.

1.) Calories- you must be at a calorie deficit to lose weight. Period. No working out required.
    2.) Lifting weights will help retain muscle mass so you don't just look like a smaller version of what you are now.
    3.) A well rounded fitness program for your health and wellness should/will include a cardiovascular component and a strength/resistance training program.

Those are the 3 big things.

You can start with the calories- that's easy. Log daily- buy a food scale- use MFP- or google TDEE and use that- either one is fine.

As for cardio- either for running- try couch to 5K- great beginner program- if you want to run. walking is fine- row machine- bike- whatever- not relevant unless you have a specific goal in mind.

For lifting
    Strong lifts
    New rules of lifting
    starting strength
    strong curves

or you can do body weight-
    body by you
    you are your own gym
    convict conditioning

all great places to get started!

• tomatoey
    edited April 2015

i don't know if there's a hard cutoff, you know, but in general: every pound of body weight is an additional 3 pounds of pressure on the knees, and 6 on the hips. so there's just that; also, the effects of any awkward biomechanics are likely to be magnified by additional weight.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    tzarba wrote: »
    @loxottica You can do HIIT. I used to run long slow miles, 5 miles at 5MPH and I started doing HIIT on the treadmill. It was tough, but you'll train yourself to run at 7.0, 7.5, even 8. The great thing is you know the runs are for a short time. My HIIT workouts are now 22-25 min vs 50. Gotta love that.

HIIT is great for increasing your VO2 MAX if you already have a strong fitness foundation to build off of.

For increasing your caloric burn or for fitness in general? Not really...
  • chivalryder

5 lbs.
  • chivalryder
    tomatoey wrote: »

i don't know if there's a hard cutoff, you know, but in general: every pound of body weight is an additional 3 pounds of pressure on the knees, and 6 on the hips. so there's just that; also, the effects of any awkward biomechanics are likely to be magnified by that.

If you've read up anything on running, you'll know that running can actually be low impact as well. When you start off, you're supposed to "shuffle" your feet in very quick, but short strides. Not jump from foot to foot like people believe you should.

Doing it properly, like I just described, anyone at any weight will be fine. Besides, anyone who is just starting out will be walking most of the time.
  • tomatoey

i don't know if there's a hard cutoff, you know, but in general: every pound of body weight is an additional 3 pounds of pressure on the knees, and 6 on the hips. so there's just that; also, the effects of any awkward biomechanics are likely to be magnified by that.

If you've read up anything on running, you'll know that running can actually be low impact as well. When you start off, you're supposed to "shuffle" your feet in very quick, but short strides. Not jump from foot to foot like people believe you should.

Doing it properly, like I just described, anyone at any weight will be fine. Besides, anyone who is just starting out will be walking most of the time.

All I'm going to say is that I was unable to avoid injury doing C25K, even with the right (expensive) shoes, selected for me based on my gait at a running store, even running on soft surfaces, even after reading about technique extensively.

It might be that I have some unique vulnerabilities. But, others may have similar vulnerabilities (or different ones). The problem is that a lot of times you don't know what they are until it's too late.

In my case, that injury led to chronic pain and neuropathy.

I'm not saying everyone's going to have a problem, but some will. So there are risks.
  • chivalryder

All I'm going to say is that I was unable to avoid injury doing C25K, even with the right (expensive) shoes, selected for me based on my gait at a running store, even running on soft surfaces, even after reading about technique extensively.

It might be that I have some unique vulnerabilities. But, others may have similar vulnerabilities (or different ones). The problem is that a lot of times you don't know what they are until it's too late.

I'm not saying everyone's going to have a problem, but some will. So there are risks.

I'm sorry this happened to you. I've been there myself with injuries caused by being active.

However, there are risks with every sport and every form of activity. You can either accept the risks and enjoy your life, or lock yourself up in your home and spend all your free time in front of your xBox.

The choice is yours.
  • Lofteren
    tzarba wrote: »
    @loxottica You can do HIIT. I used to run long slow miles, 5 miles at 5MPH and I started doing HIIT on the treadmill. It was tough, but you'll train yourself to run at 7.0, 7.5, even 8. The great thing is you know the runs are for a short time. My HIIT workouts are now 22-25 min vs 50. Gotta love that.

HIIT is great for increasing your VO2 MAX if you already have a strong fitness foundation to build off of.

For increasing your caloric burn or for fitness in general? Not really...

You can't say that doing HIIT doesn't increase your "general fitness". "fitness" means ones ability to perform a task. HIIT increases one's ability to perform at a very high intensity and to quickly recover from that intense activity better than other forms of exercise so it does increase one's fitness "in general". Realistically, any form of physical training that causes adaptation increases a person's "general fitness".
  • tomatoey
    edited April 2015

I'm sorry this happened to you. I've been there myself with injuries caused by being active.

However, there are risks with every sport and every form of activity. You can either accept the risks and enjoy your life, or lock yourself up in your home and spend all your free time in front of your xBox.

The choice is yours.

You're right, everything involves risk. The thing is that certain injuries can very much lead to not being able to do anything other than play xBox. (or e.g. unable walk to the corner store or just at all for longer than 5 minutes). and those injuries can limit your enjoyment of activities (sometimes for life). (and, getting good, timely treatment of msk issues can be tough - there are a LOT of quacks and know-nothings out there, even with qualifications.)

So I think it's good to look at a third option, which is taking calculated risks. (eg with running - if you are very overweight, walk, don't run, until your knees & hips are a little freer.)
  • Lofteren
    laddyboy wrote: »

This one...
    I will add 1 or 2 things just to stick in your mind.
    1. doing long cardio sessions only will burn your muscle for energy. That's why lifting is important. Your muscle is your metabolism. The more muscle you build...the better your metabolism.
    2. Muscle burns fat. You body doesn't want to build muscle because it's hard for it to maintain it. In turn...your body has to constantly tap into the fat stores to maintain the muscle. I like the sound of that. AND...you won't get big and bulky.

The 'professor' in all of us wants to know if you can clean up or back up that Bro Science for us....?

Doing long cardio sessions only will burn your muscle for energy?

Muscle burns fat.

This is what I was talking about when I said that people depending on "peer reviewed studies" perpetuates the BS in the fitness industry. Doing long, slow periods of exercise does not require high quality fuel so it will burn tissue indiscriminately. Muscle is a tissue. Your body will burn it right along with fat, glycogen, etc... unless you are doing something to make your body want to keep it (i.e. something that activates the M-Tor amino acid pathway or causes an influx of androgens/growth hormone which would, in turn, activate the M-Tor amino acid pathway). These things would include more intense forms of exercise such as HIIT or strength training. I'm not hating on LISS, I'm simply stating what happens when someone does too much LISS. A study is not needed to determine this. One would simply need to come from a point of increased muscular strength and hypertrophy and then add a bunch of LISS to their training to see the effects of it.

Also, muscle does have a higher metabolic demand than other tissues, so having more muscle does increase a person's metabolic rate. It doesn't make as much of a difference as a lot of people say it does (it is roughly 30kcals per lb of muscle per 24 hours which wouldn't make a huge difference on the calipers) but it does increase resting caloric expenditure nonetheless.

No sources need to be sighted for any of this information as it is pretty common knowledge (maybe not the actual means through which this phenomenon occurs, but people still know it to be a true and are not incorrect in doing so).